UPDATE: Fire response on Alki

8:20 AM: Big SFD response to the 2700 block of 60th SW [map] – but it’s already being downsized. We are headed there for specifics. Update to come.

8:34 AM: SFD says the fire was confined to one room of a duplex. @PuyallupCoug tweeted this photo of a burned mattress that was brought out.

(Photo by @PuyallupCoug)

8:52 AM: We’ve just talked to the incident commander. No one hurt, damage limited to the mattress.

(WSB photos, this one & next)

They’re talking to the unit’s resident to figure out what sparked the fire.

The last units are leaving.

(Photo by Willy O)

12:17 PM: SFD tells WSB that the cause was determined to be “improperly discarded smoking material.”

13 Replies to "UPDATE: Fire response on Alki"

  • AMW November 28, 2020 (8:23 am)

    I was out on a run and 14 fire trucks zoomed past me down Admiral.
    I hope everyone is OK!! Thank you for reporting!!

  • Jodie W. November 28, 2020 (8:39 am)

    Thank you for the information.

  • Jodie W. November 28, 2020 (8:41 am)

    Thank you.

  • flimflam November 28, 2020 (10:14 am)

    a mattress is a pretty odd thing to catch on fire…candle? smoking in bed? how else could it start?

    • WSB November 28, 2020 (10:28 am)

      When I was a kid, LA’s notorious Santa Ana winds blew a lamp onti my mom’s bed & that started a fire that unfortunately was NOT caught so quickly.

      • Trickycoolj November 28, 2020 (11:53 am)

        Could even be as simple as a faulty phone charging cable.  How many of us leave our phones charging on soft surfaces that could easily ignite?  How many of us have bought no-name cables/charging bricks and mix and match?  (I don’t recommend the latter always buy reputable brand names!)

    • Oops November 28, 2020 (10:59 am)

      I mean, I’m sure I’m not the only person who crafts in bed and hot glue mishaps are real, lol.  I know that’s not the most LIKELY cause but in my experience, accidentally setting everyday objects on fire is a LOT easier than it’s made out to be. Also, burning fraying edges of certain fabrics (synthetics) is a known technique to tidy things up when the fabric starts to wear. Again, not the MOST likely cause, but there are an infinite number of ways to get yourself in trouble with fire.

      • WSB November 28, 2020 (11:11 am)

        The SFD PIO was still waiting to hear back from the investigator so I hope to have an update at some point later.

  • ~Hockeywitch~ November 28, 2020 (10:36 am)

    Great speedy work Seattle Fire…. That could have turned bad quickly. Glad everyone is safe and the only loss was a mattress.

  • WSB November 28, 2020 (12:17 pm)

    Nothing unusual, turns out: “Improperly discarded smoking material.” Adding above.

  • Lc November 28, 2020 (12:37 pm)

    Thank you, firefighters! 

  • mw November 29, 2020 (8:03 am)

    That mattress can be cleaned and used again – did they say what happened to it?

    • waikikigirl November 29, 2020 (11:03 am)

      Yeah OK…????

Sorry, comment time is over.