Again this year, to discourage personal-use fireworks (which are illegal in Seattle), the Parks Department will turn on the lights for a while at synthetic-turf fields, including 3 in West Seattle. The announcement’s ahead:
Seattle Parks and Recreation will activate the field lighting on synthetic ballfields throughout the city on the evening of Wednesday, July 4, to protect the synthetic surfaces. The ballfield lights will be turned on at approximately 8:45 p.m. and will be turned off at either 10 p.m. or 11 p.m., depending on the field.
The lights will be turned on to discourage the use of fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in the City of Seattle and will destroy the artificial turf on the fields. The approximate replacement cost for synthetic carpet based on per average full size field (110,000 square feet) is $1.2 million. All the fields have been renovated over the past five years and benefit field users including soccer, football, baseball, Ultimate Frisbee and lacrosse.
Seattle Parks and Recreation appreciates all the community involvement in the field restorations and reminds the community to be good stewards of the synthetic fields.
The lights will be turned on at 8:45 p.m. at the following fields, and turned off at the time noted:
· Bobby Morris at Cal Anderson Park off at 11 p.m.
1635 11th Ave
· Genesee Upper and Lower Playfield off at 11 p.m.
4316 S Genesee St.
· Georgetown Playfield off at 11 p.m.
750 S Homer St.
· Hiawatha Playfield off at 11 p.m.
2700 California Ave. SW
· Lower Woodland Playfield #2 and #7 off at 11 p.m.
5201 Green Lake Way North.
· Magnuson #5 (Rugby), #6, #7 off at 10 p.m.
7400 Sand Point Way N.E.
· Miller Playfield off at 10 p.m.
330 19th Ave. E
· Walt Hundley Playfield off at 11:00 p.m.
6920 34th Avenue SW
· Loyal Heights Playfield off at 10:00 p.m.
2101 NW 77th St
· Jefferson Playfield off at 11:00 p.m.
4165 16th Ave S.,
· Delridge Playfield off at 11:00 p.m.
4458 Delridge Way SW
· Garfield #1 off at 11:00 p.m.
E Cherry St & 23rd Ave
For additional questions or information please contact Seattle Parks and Recreation security officer Lisa Harrison at 206-423-0526.