West Seattle restaurants: Redline WS to open at 3295 Avalon Way

March 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 42 Comments

Even before a flurry of inquiries wondering what we knew about that sign on the lower level of The Residences at 3295 – the finally-almost-done building on the southeast corner of 35th/Avalon – we’d been trying to reach the former proprietor of Redline Music and Sports, to ask if it meant his plan to “resurrect” Redline was itself revived. (It was in the works two years ago – till the building changed owners.) Today, we found a partner in the business who says, only in name. A restaurant is indeed opening there under the name Redline WS, Michael Bauer told WSB’s Katie Meyer. And former Redline proprietor Scott Goerig is involved – managing and marketing Redline WS, Bauer says. But otherwise, according to Bauer, it’ll be an all-ages family restaurant with TVs showing sports events all day long, and a menu featuring pizza and burgers, “typical Americana.” In the morning, he says, it will likely have more of a coffee-shop feel because of the major bus stops nearby. Redline WS is targeting a June opening – but things could change, so stay tuned.

1. We could always use more great burgers in WS! But I wonder where everyone is going to park??

Oh, and I sure hope they don’t bring in too many annoying t.v.’s. We don’t all like sports blaring in the background.

Comment by justme — 4:55 pm March 21, 2013 #

2. Hooray! Having occupants in this building, combined with the bus lane out front, the parking garage exit into the bus lane, increased traffic volumes and a traffic light will make West Seattleites comings and goings all the more pleasant!

Comment by anti-obstruction — 4:59 pm March 21, 2013 #

3. I really like the concept of an all ages sport bar type of restaurant. But I have to agree that my first thought was “Where would you park?”.

Comment by SJoy — 5:07 pm March 21, 2013 #

4. I think we were supposed to take the Monorail, but now we are left with METRO bus service (or walking!) if we want to avoid the parking hassle and increased traffic.

Comment by howieinseattle — 5:16 pm March 21, 2013 #

5. Isn’t there underground parking there? Or will that only be for tenants?

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 5:22 pm March 21, 2013 #

6. My first thought was also where will people park, obviously a reoccurring theme. At some point, with all the new development planned for the triangle, this will be a walkable neighborhood, but it will be years before that happens.

Comment by Stu — 5:29 pm March 21, 2013 #

7. Awesome, it will be great to have a new sports bar in the area. I’m hoping they will be the first bar in West Seattle to show UFC events.

Comment by AIDM — 5:39 pm March 21, 2013 #

8. Um, say JustMe…Since they will have sports on all day (thus making it a sports bar/establishment IMHO), yeah, they might have a few too many tvs for your tastes…

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 6:13 pm March 21, 2013 #

9. The bridge is great for games, but i’m always in favor of more sports bars! Please have the sound ON. All the time. I dont understand why so many bars in this city don’t have the sound on. And please, none of those useless tv’s that are smaller than 42″.

Comment by Hockey fan — 6:16 pm March 21, 2013 #

10. Funny, parking never crossed my mind. Reading the comments here make me happy I don’t drive; I have a lot less to worry about. I’ll be a regular.

Comment by Peter on Fauntleroy — 6:32 pm March 21, 2013 #

11. There seems to be a lot of parking up the hill on 35th as you go past the stadium and towards merril gardens. If the place is good, people will figure it out. We do it on Alki all summer long!

Comment by Kgdlg — 6:52 pm March 21, 2013 #

12. I’m hoping for valet car service combined with a kid friendly – gluten free – lactose free – vegetarian – closed captioned television sets with Whole Foods coupon books establishment. It would be really cool if they also honored the gift certificates from the previous Redline and/or Garlic Jim’s.

Comment by My two cents ... — 7:16 pm March 21, 2013 #

13. Re: parking, yes, that building has a garage; it’s been in the works so long, I don’t know its capacity offhand – this one went through Design Review before we even started publishing West Seattle news going on six years ago. Sorry, we didn’t ask Mike about parking, but will on followup. Given the number of apartments slated for Avalon alone, even if they have no dedicated parking, I would imagine there could be a tremendous amount of foot traffic – there are about 500 units in the works within a couple blocks, in addition to the hundreds already there, plus the apartments on the east edge of the Triangle, Link in The Triangle … plus potentially a place for people to walk to before or after a sporting event at the stadium … TR

Comment by WSB — 8:43 pm March 21, 2013 #

14. People who are excited about this and are looking for a spot before this is completed (21+) should check out The Bridge across the street. The food is actually awesome and it definitely out classes everything there before, or what you would expect from the exterior. It’s the stuff….and no I don’t work there.

Comment by AR — 8:59 pm March 21, 2013 #

15. my two cents… thanks for the laugh.

Comment by sonic — 10:09 pm March 21, 2013 #

16. @My two cents – completely agree. And there better be an indoor parking area for double strollers and all of the food better be locally sourced and sustainable if they want my business.

Comment by Ajax — 1:01 am March 22, 2013 #

17. Yes!

I have been waiting for something to fill Rocksport void. This could be it.

Lots of flat screens and lots of games, please!

Comment by Joey — 7:18 am March 22, 2013 #

18. @my two cents – oooh oooh and _double vegan_ options – the plants can’t be fertilized with animal products, or be plants than some other more deserving animal otherwise might have eaten. Oh, and I get a free beer coupon if I park my all plant-fiber bicycle inside the front door.

Comment by MAS — 7:24 am March 22, 2013 #

19. New West Seattle business model. Park at The Bridge and use the crosswalk!

Comment by Rick — 7:42 am March 22, 2013 #

20. Won’t be able to park at the bridge for long as that area will be gone in 5 yrs. going to be a tuff go with no parking. Any eating establishment or any other retail business that has parking is going to be way ahead of the game.

Comment by wetone — 8:29 am March 22, 2013 #

21. Yeah, hoping this replaces what Rocksport was. We need a good Sports Bar in West Seattle that shows all the NFL Games (NFL Ticket). Not all of us like the Seahawks ;)

Comment by Matt — 8:46 am March 22, 2013 #

22. For those who don’t want sports blaring all day: please go ANYWHERE else in West Seattle. While some bars in the neighborhood have TV’s on in the background, W.S. is missing a true sports bar. In fact the design of Rocksport really didn’t make that a great place to watch a game either.

Looking forward to a true sports bar in W.S.!

Comment by Beach Creep michael — 9:41 am March 22, 2013 #

23. Speaking of sports on the tube, hopefully this restaurant will be considerate to the local hockey fans and show a lot of Stanley Cup Playoff action when it starts up.

Comment by East Coast Cynic — 10:05 am March 22, 2013 #

24. redline sports bar reopens yaaaaaaay! i can bring the kids and milk bottles too..how about karaoke action.west seattle sucks for karaoke. park at the bridge or kfc and walk over..

Comment by toodles — 10:16 am March 22, 2013 #

25. I wish nothing but the best for Mike in his new adventure. I look forward to your opening!
    Good Luck, A.

Comment by AN — 10:25 am March 22, 2013 #

26. If their original plan for TV’s still holds, you will be blown away…. If not, I hope they are loud!!

Comment by Coug Fan — 10:31 am March 22, 2013 #

27. I would have to agree with you Matt. I hope they do show other teams and I like it will be a family place. Can’t wait!

Comment by stephanie — 12:11 pm March 22, 2013 #

28. Excited to have more options in the Avalon area. I am a regular at The Bridge and to East Coast Cynic, they will put on any game you ask them to. I am a die hard hockey fan. As far as parking goes, I wouldn’t recommend parking at The Bridge & walking across the street to Redline, they have “Bridge Parking only” signs everywhere and I am sure they won’t hesitate to tow. As one commenter said, parking is a premium and on busy nights, even their parking lots are almost full.

Comment by Michelle — 12:47 pm March 22, 2013 #

29. Please have Beer Battered Onion Rings and Hockey!!

Thanks.

Comment by bsmomma — 1:57 pm March 22, 2013 #

30. you have to be a washington state cougar fan to gain admittance though if you didnt know yet..

Comment by toodles — 3:35 pm March 22, 2013 #

31. Wrong place to have Cougar bar. I think that UW people should take it over and fill it up with are purple and gold.

Comment by S — 4:11 pm March 22, 2013 #

32. Should bars and taverns really have parking lots?

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 4:47 pm March 22, 2013 #

33. the owners are Cougar grads and the redline prior was a full blown cougar only bar..

Comment by toodles — 5:57 pm March 22, 2013 #

34. Hello. It’s not gonna be a Cougar bar.Shut up!

Comment by Mike — 10:40 pm March 22, 2013 #

35. I like the thought that this could be a potential replacement for Rocksport. Of course, nothing can really replace it but we’re looking forward to seeing a new sports bar in the hood.

Comment by sun*e — 6:33 am March 23, 2013 #

36. Cougar bar sounds good. But unfortunately, at my age she’d have to be over 70.

Comment by Rick — 5:04 pm March 23, 2013 #

37. Where’s the parking? In Bellevue, Kent, a Lynwood, surrounding strip-malls. Need abundant parking for EVERY business you go to? Then move out of the city and into the suburbs.
    I’ll bet you folks are the type who drive to health clubs to walk on treadmills.

As WSHipster pointed out, bars might be one of those establishments that shouldn’t encourage people to drive to them.

Comment by dawsonct — 9:18 am March 24, 2013 #

38. The owner is one of my best friends and this will most definitely not be a WSU bar, despite his loyal dedication to the Cougs. They will play all sports, college and pro, and hope to have a sports bar with a family atmosphere, something seriously lacking in West Seattle. Everyone, but especially sports lovers, should be nothing but excited for WS Redline to open! They have some great ideas and will fill a need that West Seattle has had for years. I can’t wait!!!

Comment by Steph — 8:05 pm March 24, 2013 #

39. I am a friend of both owners and the manager…. despite my protests, this will not be a Cougar bar… it should be, and I will certainly be there as often as possible rooting on the Cougs, but I have been informed all Pac 12 games will be aired, along with professional sports including Hockey. I am very happy with what I have seen of the menu, and am looking forward to finally haveing a great place in WS to view sports and fill by belly with great food and suds! Congrats Mike and Scott! Go Cougs!

Comment by Paul Twibell — 9:06 pm March 24, 2013 #

40. This place will be a neighborhood sports bar. NOT a Coug bar. All sports, all the time.

Plus, maybe a Coug game here and there if we start doing well.
    College, Pro, Golf? Doesn’t matter. This will be SPORTS with a neighborhood feeling. It’s going to be very cool and I can’t wait. WS needs a Sports location really bad!

Comment by Rob — 11:20 am March 25, 2013 #

41. As long as the Banditos don’t claim this in the absence of Alki Tavern, I promise to get schlitzed here. :)

Comment by Breckasaurus — 1:00 pm March 26, 2013 #

42. There will be parking available in the garage of the building. So don’t fret my friends, its all ben thought out.

Comment by bubba james — 12:34 am March 27, 2013 #