About that big construction project near the 1st Ave. S. Bridge

July 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm | In South Park, Utilities, West Seattle news | 6 Comments

Tonight while checking out the truck-crash scene near South Park, we also took this photo of a nearby project that we’re often asked about: It’s Seattle Public Utilities‘ new South Transfer Station for trash and recycling. Ground was broken on a frosty day last fall; the facility is expected to open in about a year. The city’s official info page for the project is here; we found additional details and renderings on the architects’ website, including the big stats: Nine acres, 141,000 square feet of structures.

1. Thanks – I’ve been wondering what they were building there. Weren’t they considering building the new station on Harbor Island awhile back? Seems like it might be an awkward destination to get in and out of, being in the middle of two freeways…

Comment by Debbie — 9:00 am July 28, 2011 #

2. The current facility is in the same area. It’s not hard to get to once you learn the route. Also 2nd Use is right next door :)
    There was a construction worker at the top of the structure when I drove past it one day. My jaw dropped at the scale of the building – it is huge!

Comment by DC — 9:35 am July 28, 2011 #

3. Ohh so that’s what that building is. At first I thought it was going to be that prison they wanted to build..

Comment by Anon — 10:49 am July 28, 2011 #

4. I have been wondering what what being built and forgot to ask. Thanks for posting!

Comment by Steph in WS — 11:47 am July 28, 2011 #

5. Everytime I drive by I mean to ask you guys. Thanks!

Comment by Wendy — 3:59 pm July 28, 2011 #

6. We just went past it tonight and wondered out loud about it. Then I thought eventually I’ll see it on the blog. I was right. Yeah.

Comment by LyndaB — 10:46 pm July 28, 2011 #