About that big construction project near the 1st Ave. S. Bridge

Tonight while checking out the truck-crash scene near South Park, we also took this photo of a nearby project that we’re often asked about: It’s Seattle Public Utilities‘ new South Transfer Station for trash and recycling. Ground was broken on a frosty day last fall; the facility is expected to open in about a year. The city’s official info page for the project is here; we found additional details and renderings on the architects’ website, including the big stats: Nine acres, 141,000 square feet of structures.

6 Replies to "About that big construction project near the 1st Ave. S. Bridge"

• comment-avatar
    Debbie July 28, 2011 (9:00 am)

Thanks – I’ve been wondering what they were building there. Weren’t they considering building the new station on Harbor Island awhile back? Seems like it might be an awkward destination to get in and out of, being in the middle of two freeways…

• comment-avatar
    DC July 28, 2011 (9:35 am)

The current facility is in the same area. It’s not hard to get to once you learn the route. Also 2nd Use is right next door :)
    There was a construction worker at the top of the structure when I drove past it one day. My jaw dropped at the scale of the building – it is huge!

• comment-avatar
    Anon July 28, 2011 (10:49 am)

Ohh so that’s what that building is. At first I thought it was going to be that prison they wanted to build..

• comment-avatar
    Steph in WS July 28, 2011 (11:47 am)

I have been wondering what what being built and forgot to ask. Thanks for posting!

• comment-avatar
    Wendy July 28, 2011 (3:59 pm)

Everytime I drive by I mean to ask you guys. Thanks!

• comment-avatar
    LyndaB July 28, 2011 (10:46 pm)

We just went past it tonight and wondered out loud about it. Then I thought eventually I’ll see it on the blog. I was right. Yeah.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann