UPDATE: Apartment fire in 3100 block Avalon Way

(Reader photo)

6:03 AM: SFD has just arrived at an apartment building in the 3100 block of SW Avalon Way [map] on a “full response” dispatch.

6:06 AM: The fire is on the building’s first floor. So far they’re saying it does not appear to have spread. The big response, however, is further complicating Avalon/Genesee traffic, so you’ll want to entirely avoid the area.

6:13 AM: The fire is reported to be under control. No report of any injuries.

6:17 AM: The fire has just been declared “tapped,” which means (mostly) out. But SFD’s likely to have crews on scene quite a while, so expect bus/traffic impacts TFN.

(Reader photo)

6:22 AM: Metro has messaged, ” Routes 21, 50, 55, DART 773 & the RapidRide C Line are currently rerouted … Use stops on 35th Av SW south of SW Avalon Way.” Meantime, per radio communication, SFD is evaluating one person for a “possible respiratory” problem.

(Photo tweeted by Regan)

6:35 AM: The Red Cross is being summoned to help two people.

6:58 AM: Per scanner, police are reopening Avalon/Genesee traffic “all ways.”

7:07 AM: Bus riders are reporting that bus service has resumed too. The incident log shows the response is down to three units including a supervisor.

7:13 AM: Firsthand report by nearby resident Tomasz Biernacki, with his video, starting even before firefighters arrived, as someone shouted FIRE! FIRE! to wake people up:

I got up to make coffee and saw white smoke across the street from our condo. 30 seconds later the fire alarm goes off and people are running out of their apartments. A woman was carried because of disabilities. One gentleman was heroically trying to use a fire extinguisher but it was too late for that. Everyone worked together to get folks out. For sure there are some folks homeless today because of this. Last I looked they were letting people back into their apartments as they clean up.

We’ll be following up with SFD regarding how it started.

ADDED TUESDAY: The fire was ruled accidental, sparked by a cigarette.

53 Replies to "UPDATE: Apartment fire in 3100 block Avalon Way"

• AvalonTom June 24, 2019 (6:14 am)

Tracy, just filmed the whole thing. uploading to youtube now and will send you the link

• Aaronh June 24, 2019 (7:20 am)

Would you be as so kind as to send me the link

• WSB June 24, 2019 (7:20 am)

It’s in the story now, just added.

• Lee June 24, 2019 (6:21 am)

Just got an email from Metro saying WS buses are rerouted off Avalon. Do you know where they are rerouted to?Glad this was brought under control quickly. That’s a cold old building.

• WSB June 24, 2019 (6:27 am)

That’s in the story. “Use 35th stops south of Avalon,” which suggests the buses are being routed to the bridge via 35th.

• Ice June 24, 2019 (7:32 am)

The 21x I was on just got straight onto the WS bridge instead of going down Avalon.

• Ian June 24, 2019 (7:01 am)

A downtown-bound 21x and water taxi shuttle just came by, it may be just one lane at the moment though.

• Patrick June 24, 2019 (7:01 am)

Was on the 21X, Avalon blocked at 35th and all buses were being routed to the bridge.  A 50 was stopped just around the corner from 35th and a C was stopped uphill, going south.  No stops on Avalon would be usable until this clears.

• Neighbor June 24, 2019 (7:32 am)

I hope everyone’s alright. I live across the street and my tap water is brown this morning. Is that common after a fire?

• WSB June 24, 2019 (7:34 am)

Yes. Activating the hydrants can stir up sediment (primarily rust) in the lines nearby.

• Alison Newquist June 24, 2019 (8:01 am)

I hope everyone got out safely. The guy in the video that kicked his DOG should be reported!!!!!

• ITotallyAgreeWithYou June 24, 2019 (10:22 am)

Oh my god that is terrible! He yanked the dog then violently kicked it. There is never a reason to hurt a pet. I hope he recognizes his anger management problem and gets help. While some may have stood with their hands in their pockets while this happened before their eyes, I will confront and report. Don’t be a bystander.

• AvalonTom June 24, 2019 (10:32 am)

I had to go back and watch it. Its at about 3 min mark. Emergency like this brings the best, and sometimes the worst in us.

• KBear June 24, 2019 (10:39 am)

Shouldn’t be too hard to identify that lowlife jerk, with his distinctive haircut. And obviously there were several witnesses. I hope someone called him out.

• KM June 24, 2019 (11:22 am)

Unlikey anyone would call him out (this is Seattle, afterall). I am assuming it is a building resident, and hope those who know this person in the building will do report him.

• Beata June 24, 2019 (11:28 am)

I saw the same, It breaks my heart!  He kicked him with such a force at the time of rescue! Who are those people!?!?

• cjboffoli June 24, 2019 (8:06 am)

Excellent camera work AvalonTom!

• dsa June 24, 2019 (9:49 am)

Seattle firefighters are the best.

• SCH June 24, 2019 (11:10 am)

Can we talk about the guy who kicked his dog at 3:12 in the video…

• dsa June 24, 2019 (11:30 am)

His dog was headed to take out the black dog.  Mohawk stopped it.  I am not saying I approve of his method, but that is what I saw in the video.

• Beetlecat June 24, 2019 (2:01 pm)

Hardly seems like the black dog was about to be “taken out” — by the brown one — it was just doing  dog stuff.  The b&w dog didn’t even get up to challenge, it was totally unfazed.

• DL June 24, 2019 (2:47 pm)

Not to mention the dog was on a leash. Pulling the dog back was enough if it was attacking, which it didn’t appear to be doing; kicking it to the ground was totally unnecessary and cruel.

• KBear June 24, 2019 (2:54 pm)

If dogs are fighting, by all means, do what you gotta do. But these two dogs don’t even appear to be within range of each other, based on the lengths of their leashes. Kicking was completely unwarranted.

• valvashon June 24, 2019 (11:32 am)

I’ll second the excellent camera work comment for Tom.  Thanks for holding your phone sideways!

• Peril June 24, 2019 (12:56 pm)

I rode past this early and called 911. Didn’t see the video until later. I’m glad nobody was hurt, apart from the dog that got brutally kicked by is dumb owner. Unfortunately, anyone can have an animal.

• Kravitz June 24, 2019 (1:40 pm)

Filing a report with Animal Control now. There’s no excuse for that behavior, and that person should not own an animal if that’s the way they treat it. I’d encourage others that witnessed this in person to report it also.

• Kravitz June 24, 2019 (1:53 pm)

It’s great that this was captured on video – I just reported this to Animal Control, and I would encourage others to do the same – you can remain anonymous. (206) 386-7387 (PETS) People like this should not have animals.

• St June 24, 2019 (8:51 pm)

You can’t remain anonymous. I have tried to complain about things and they have required my real name, address, etc. Maybe something changed in the last few weeks?

• Mub June 24, 2019 (2:35 pm)

It was not a kick he made her not him who did not try to attack other dog u got no idea

• Marianne June 24, 2019 (7:36 pm)

huh?

• RayTay July 1, 2019 (10:06 am)

Exactly… huh?  I need a translator on that one.

• Quora June 24, 2019 (2:46 pm)

Anyone care about those affected by the fire, or do we just care about a dog owner and how he reprimanded his pet? Just wondering.

• KM June 24, 2019 (3:28 pm)

As noted in the story above, Red Cross was on the scene assisting those that were affected by the fire. Unrelated, animals are not able to speak for themselves, so when they are mistreated, some are eager to jump in and do what they can. Luckily, concern for those affected by the fire and anger at those who abuse animals at the same time are not mutually exclusive.

• Mub June 24, 2019 (2:57 pm)

Exactly that did nothing wrong i qas there she did not cry or yelp he made her sit that was all she was whining and anxious a lot going on she tried to sit wkth other fog that was also anxious he made her sit not kick he also was one running up n down 4 floors to gather fire extinguisher before fire dept came

• PMB June 24, 2019 (3:48 pm)

I was able to thankfully get both of my pets out. My arm is scratched up from my cat, and my dog was so frightened that I had to drag him out the door of the apartment. Everyone (animals included) was stressed and scared. However, I didn’t need to resort to violence to get my pets to comply. #justsaying

• Mub June 24, 2019 (4:32 pm)

#justsayingNo abuse as happend

• Mub June 24, 2019 (4:34 pm)

Camera angles can be deciving

• Dmj June 24, 2019 (5:04 pm)

Sorry for those displaced and glad to hear everyone got out without any injuries. As i was watching  the video i observed a bystander kick his dog.  Dog may have been barking  but no excuse. You are on video doing this bad thing.

• Mj June 24, 2019 (5:55 pm)

Rolled by the site mid afternoon.  The damage looks to be limited.  Are residents in units not affected able to use them?

• Neighbor June 25, 2019 (3:44 pm)

The lower left unit was destroyed. That person lost everything–saw it as they were working to board it up, and the interior was completely black. You could see all the way through the building to the other side.. Looks like there was possibly damage to the neighboring unit, as well. And, I don’t know how their sprinkler system works (if they have one–seems strange that a cigarette caused so much damage if smoke detectors and sprinklers are working), but water damage to other units is a possibility as well.

• newnative June 25, 2019 (4:30 pm)

Cigarettes can smolder in upholstery for a long time and then combust after engaging a lot of fuel.

• Yes2WS2 June 24, 2019 (6:15 pm)

Mub, was that guy YOU? You seem awfully keen on defending an abusive dog owner. What happened to that dog was way unnecessary and is downright sickening.

• Graciano June 24, 2019 (6:41 pm)

I want to forward the video to animal control and SPD, that’s animal cruelty.

• dsa June 24, 2019 (7:49 pm)

You (all) need an experience seeing or being attacked by a pit.  Believe me, you will not forget the sequence if you are the target.  The above incidence looks very familiar.

• St June 24, 2019 (8:53 pm)

I was attacked by a pitbull.

• KM June 24, 2019 (10:50 pm)

Saying people need to experience being attacked by a dog is not where I saw these comments going, but here we are. How disgusting.

• IgnorantPeople June 25, 2019 (1:39 am)

I have been bit twice while working with abused dogs.  Abusing your dog is not the way to teach it not to be aggressive, it is in fact just the opposite.

• Yes2WS2 June 24, 2019 (9:28 pm)

My Jack Russell was attacked by two Pitts  who’d broken away from their walker.  I still don’t want to see a Pitt kicked around  and abused.

• KD June 25, 2019 (1:30 am)

Three things;1.) Hopefully you have a cat carrier and didn’t have it within reach(?) but a cat should always be contained, so that it won’t jump out of your arms and get hit or lost. Keep a towel to go over the carrier, they feel safer when they can’t see out.2.) the news said the fire was caused by a cigarette 😡 (nuff said), I’ll leave it there 😡3.) of course the dog being kicked is horrible and NOTHING is acceptable ‘Mub’.. no defense on your defense of your buddy, and I’m proud of those stepping up to report 👍🏼🐾🐾💗… but, no one has mentioned in the first few seconds and frames of the video the heroic action of the young man carrying out the disabled woman down the sidewalk and placing her on the bus bench! Can we get the city/fire dept. to see the video and someone find out who he is and get one of those citizens bravery awards for him? Beautiful job young man! 👏🏽

• Jay June 26, 2019 (8:07 pm)

Thanks 😉

• PMB June 25, 2019 (9:32 pm)

Very sad because I thought The Edge was smoke free. Not to sound like a 90-year-old buzz kill, but it’s prohibited for a reason. This could have all been avoided. I do feel bad for the person who lost everything. It also looked like the apartment on the second floor had some burn damage too.

• dsa June 26, 2019 (12:08 am)

Four stories?  If it was newer would it have sprinklers or is that HUD money only or some other requirement?