West Seattle Crime Watch: Afternoon burglary

September 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

In West Seattle Crime Watch this evening, Timothy reports his home was broken into this afternoon:

I wanted to alert the neighborhood (we live in North Admiral on 46th between Hill and Walker) of our house burglary today 9/14/12, around 12:30 pm. My wife, our two kids, and my visiting mother-in-law came home to a loud noise in the upstairs bedroom. A side ground level window was jimmied open, with a small hammer left on the ground which was used to pry the window up thus breaking the lock. My wife went upstairs to find a shoebox on the bed, where she keeps her meds, that had been rifled through. Her jewelry box was emptied, which fortunately mostly had costume jewelry in it. Her iPhone is missing too. The upstairs window was open with the blinds hanging on the outside.

It seems that this burglary was interrupted at the very beginning, and the thief exited the house onto the roof while my kids and wife and MIL entered the house. Fortunately, no one was injured and only a few things were stolen. … There were several neighbors around at this time, and only one finding was a “tall lanky white guy with light hair” was walking down the street, likely a coincidence.

If you have neighborhood crime concerns, note that the West Seattle Crime Prevention Council resumes its monthly meetings next Tuesday (September 18th), 7 pm at the Southwest Precinct (Delridge and Webster).

1. I know you probably know this, call your phone carrier and tell them to turn off service to that I Phone that was taken.
    And WHY do people do this (steal) I’m sure you like me work hard for your money and belongings and to have someone have no respect and come and take it!!!

Glad your family wasn’t harmed.

Comment by LTM — 5:45 pm September 14, 2012 #

2. Wait!… You may find your burglar if you use the “Find My iPhone” app on your computer if they haven’t swiped it yet!!! Don’t call your carrier yet… It’s an awesome feature that will lead you right to your phone.. And hopefully to the creep that broke into your home. Sorry to hear the news but glad everyone is okay.

Comment by Find your iPhone! — 6:17 pm September 14, 2012 #

3. That’s right!!! Find your IPhone but the phone has to be “on” for that to work.

LOL wouldn’t that be funny and great if they found the person because of that feature.

Comment by LTM — 6:33 pm September 14, 2012 #

4. Follow the phone…now!

Comment by burglarbustindad — 8:47 pm September 14, 2012 #

5. I’d also not advertise what the theif DIDN’T get.

Comment by Eric — 5:18 am September 15, 2012 #

6. Ah, I see. That part in the orginial story is gone where the victim lists what didn’t get stolen. Much better. Didn’t know you could putter with “quotes”. Probably a good idea in this case though.

Comment by Caprial — 6:41 am September 15, 2012 #

7. Hey, here’s a thought: DO NOT stay in the house if you see an intruder has been there. GET OUT. Then call the police and let them search the house. A lot of burglaries became homicides because homeowners went snooping around when they noticed something amiss and found the perp still there.

Comment by Carl — 4:05 pm September 15, 2012 #