Paving is complete in Zone A and we have begun breaking the road in Zone C.
Zone A (SW Avalon Way from SW Spokane St to SW Yancy St)
To complete work in Zone A, we are continuing work on SW Avalon Way between SW Charlestown St and SW Andover St, including:
· Finishing concrete paving work on the new bus island at SW Yancy St this week
· Closing SW Charlestown St as soon as the week of August 19 to complete curb ramp and sidewalk work
· Rebuilding the sidewalk on the west side between SW Bradford and SW Charlestown streets
· Finishing work in Zone A as soon as the week of August 19
Zone C (SW Avalon Way from SW Genesee St to 35th Ave SW)
We are continuing work on SW Avalon Way between SW Genesee St and 35th Ave SW including:
· Completing rebuilding the road base on the north side of the road this week
· Paving the north side of the road on Monday, August 19. This work is weather dependent and subject to change.
o There will be no driveway access on August 19
o If you need access to your car, plan to park on side streets the night before. You will not be able to use your driveway while the pavement cures.
· Excavating the south side of the road and moving the SW Genesee St traffic signal as early as Tuesday, August 20
· Maintaining daytime driveway access when safe and feasible during the workday. If you need to leave your driveway, plan for delays of up to 1 hour. We encourage you to speak with our crews to check when excavation will take place near your property.
· Placing steel plates or building temporary driveways between 5 and 7 PM to maintain evening access
· Tentatively paving the south side of the road as early as the week of September 2
Zone E (35th Ave SW from SW Avalon Way to SW Alaska St)
We are continuing work on 35th Ave SW from SW Avalon Way to SW Alaska St, including:
· Beginning concrete paving on the west side tomorrow, August 16. This work is weather dependent and subject to change.
· No driveway access from Thursday to early Saturday to allow the concrete time to cure
· SW Snoqualmie St remaining closed for staging
We are monitoring the worksite on the weekends and will implement traffic control as needed.
While we are not conducting work in Zone B until we return to complete final paving, you may see private projects restricting parking and utilizing traffic control.
SDOT adds, “In early September, there will be multiple weekend closures of the intersection of SW Avalon Way and 35th Ave SW to allow us to rebuild the concrete panels in the intersection.” Plus, the weekly Q&A:
Things we’ve heard from the community
Each week, we’ll plan to address a few common questions we’ve heard from your neighbors.
When will you pave SW Avalon Way?
We anticipate paving SW Avalon Way (Zones A, B, and C) in mid-September. We will return to the corridor in late spring to complete final striping.
Are there noise permits for projects doing work at night?
Yes, there are permits to allow crews to conduct work at night. We cannot make impactful noises or jackhammer after 5 PM unless we have permission from the City’s Department of Construction & Inspections or need to complete emergency work.
Cars are cutting through my neighborhood at unsafe speeds to avoid construction. What can I do?
We have heard a lot of concerns about speeding and cut-through traffic. People driving, please be mindful of your neighbors and follow posted speed limits through the corridor and neighboring streets. If you are concerned about cut-through traffic, we can provide Vision Zero signs to post in your neighborhood. If you’re interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.