WEST SEATTLE HELP FOR HAITI: West Seattle Christian Church (42nd/Genesee) is collecting donations for Haiti at its services (9 and 10:45 am) today and next Sunday; West Seattle Unitarian Universalists will raise money with a soup lunch after today’s service (10:30 am, so lunch around 11:45), Masonic Hall (40th/Edmunds); in Morgan Junction, Beveridge Place Pub hosts Dogs for Docs, raising money with sausages, hot dogs and veggie dogs plus a silent auction and raffle, benefiting Doctors Without Borders, 4-7 pm, 6413 California SW; in White Center, Full Tilt Ice Cream donates all of today’s profits (Columbia City and U-District locations too). Ongoing drives are listed here (let us know if something’s missing!).
ORCHARD MEETING: As mentioned here yesterday, everyone interested in a potential Community Orchard for West Seattle is invited to a meeting at 4 pm at Duwamish Cohousing, 6000 17th SW.
WEST SEATTLE FARMERS’ MARKET: A new item debuts today: Wild Alaskan Spot Prawns (frozen) from fishing vessel Hat Trick ($22 for 2 pounds). Market managers say this’ll be offered every other week through the winter. Read on for today’s full Ripe and Ready list of what’s new:
· Fresh Duck available from Sea Breeze Farm for the next 2 weeks. Grass fed.
· Wild Alaskan Spot Prawns – From Fishing Vessel Hat Trick. At West Seattle – every other week beginning 1/17. $22 for 2 pounds
· Fresh Whole Chicken – available from Stokesberry Sustainable Farm. Organically fed and pasture-raised.
· Bok Choy, Rapini, Baby Arugula and Mache – Organic Greens from Full Circle Farms and Willie Green’s Organic Farm
· Tulips – Available from Alm Hill Gardens in Whatcom County . Deep red, Ivory, Magenta, Pale Pink, Yellow, Orange , Red with Yellow Tips, “Peony Flower) varieties that have ruffled petals and a heavenly fragrance. Also fragrant hyacinths. All the flowers can be mixed and matched.
· Duck Eggs – From Woodring Foods.
| Comments Off on Today: West Seattle help for Haiti; orchard talk; Farmers’ Market