Reader report: 3425 California fire follow-up

firefighterscropped.jpgExcerpted from what Mark just wrote in the comments below our original report on the small fire that closed California for a while Sunday morning:

I was visiting with several residents at the Admiral Plaza Condominium … At one point I was a resident there and am familiar with many of the neighbors. Apparently a less than competent owner on the courtyard level fell asleep with a cigarette in hand. It was his next-door neighbor, an RN who just happened to be home on a Sunday, that detected smoke odor and pounded on his door. After what seemed like an eternity he answered, disheveled; smoke was apparent and she immediately called the fire department. … The victim sought shelter with the assistance of the Red Cross in a W. Seattle motel. … It was by God's grace and Maggie the RN's quick thinking that prevented what might have been a disaster. Most of the damage appeared to be limited to his one-bedroom unit.

2 Replies to "Reader report: 3425 California fire follow-up"

  • Pink Lungs December 10, 2007 (2:10 pm)

    And that is why you should never smoke. Not indoors. Not ever.

  • que December 10, 2007 (2:50 pm)

    Thank goodness that he had a neighbor who was paying attention. Way to look out for our fellow West Seattlites! Yay Maggie!

Sorry, comment time is over.