Crews working on the bus shelter next to KeyBank in The Junction — spotted this morning as we headed to the Farmers’ Market — reminds us it’s time to talk about many changes for WS bus riders …
Some of those changes involve renovations, repairs, and replacements for many other WS shelters. More on that in a few sentences. First: Some bus routes willÃ‚Â change starting next weekend, in preparation for the reopening of the downtown bus tunnel on Monday, 9/24. Lots and lots of changes, all detailed here. People who know the quirks of the Metro system much better than we do say that some of the changes are positive for links between WS and other parts of the area. Now, as for those bus-stop/bus-shelter changes — after a few people e-mailed us with questions about work they had noticed, Chris Arkills from the office of West Seattle-representing King County Councilmember Dow Constantine was kind enough to get us a list of what Metro’s working on. We’ve had this in queue for about a week and a half so some of these projects may already be done, but you might find it handy anyway (it also explains exactly what those crews shown above are doing at the shelter by KeyBank):
* East bound (Eb) on SW Alaska St/California Ave SW (Key Bank)-we’re removing the glass shelter structure in mid Sept to allow Key Bank to make repairs to its building. We’ll be replacing the structure with 2 cantilever shelters after the repairs are made.
* Nb on California Ave SW/Fauntleroy Wy-shelter will be removed in the fall of 2007 to make ADA improvements to the shelter footing. Shelter will be replaced after construction.
* Wb on SW Alaska St/42 Ave SW-Stop to be closed for 18 to 24 months for construction of high-rise multi-use building beginning Sept 19, 2007.
Relocated or closed stops:
* Northbound (nb) on California Ave SW/SW Oregon St- stop relocated to east bound Oregon St west of California Ave at the request of SDOT to ease traffic congestion.
* Nb on Fauntleroy Wy SW/SW Fontanelle St to be relocated 250′ south near crosswalk and traffic light at SW Webster St when new shelter is installed at new location in mid-Sept.
* Nb on Fauntleroy Wy SW/SW Austin St- This stop will close when the new stop is in place at SW Webster St.
* Nb on California Ave SW/SW Andover St- Stop was relocated to north of Andover St at the request of SDOT for line of sight issues from SW Andover St.
* Sb Fauntleroy Wy SW/SW Barton St (Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal)- Bus stop to be relocated 100′ south so buses won’t block the off loading ferry traffic or the crosswalk. The stop will be relocated after the shelter and new sidewalk are installed in the fall of 07.
* Nb on Harbor Ave/Sea Crest Marina- bus stop extended by 70′ to accommodate the Water Taxi as a layover space.
* Eb and wb on SW Thistle St/Chief Sealth High School- bus stops will be extended to accommodate layover space for new school trips beginning in Sept 07.
* Sb on 35 Ave SW/SW 98 St- Stop closed to improve spacing.
* Wb on SW 100 St/ 40 Ave SW- Stop closed to improve spacing.
* Sb on 44 Ave SW/SW 102 St- stop closed to improve spacing.
New shelters installed recently-or about to be installed:
* Nb on 35 Ave SW/SW Raymond St- new shelter installed.
* Nb on 44 Ave SW/SW Alaska St- new shelter installed.
* Nb Avalon Wy/SW Yancy St- new shelter to be installed in fall of 2007.
* Sb Delridge Wy SW/SW Andover- new shelter installed.
* Nb Delridge Wy SW/ SW Cambridge St- new shelter installed.
* Sb Delridge Wy SW/SW Juneau St- new shelter installed.
* Nb Delridge Wy SW/SW Trenton St- new shelter to be installed in fall of 2007.
* Sb 35 Ave SW/Sw Barton St- new shelter to be installed in late 07 or early 08
* Westbound on SW Alaska St/California Ave SW- working with the owner of the building to install an awning instead of shelters, could be installed this fall..
* Many bus stops in West Seattle are getting new curb paint and signs. The City of Seattle will be painting the bus stops on 35 Ave SW before the rains. Hopefully!