West Seattle food: Top Pot Doughnuts coming to Alki Beach

After three years, the remaining space at 2758 Alki Avenue SW has a tenant: Top Pot Doughnuts, according to broker Blake Taylor with West Coast Commercial Realty, who shared the photo above. That will put Top Pot between Subway (which opened in the west half of the 2758 Alki building last August) and Starbucks. The chain is Seattle-based, founded 12 years ago on Capitol Hill, with locations around the metro area plus one in Texas. We’re contacting Top Pot to find out more about its Alki plan. Side note: Its new beachfront home was built on the site of the original Pegasus Pizza on Alki, torn down four years ago, which in turn was 2 years after Pegasus moved down the block to the west.

4:52 PM: As pointed out by Mike in comments, Top Pot has since tweeted about the West Seattle location, saying it’ll open in fall.

57 Replies to "West Seattle food: Top Pot Doughnuts coming to Alki Beach"

• comment-avatar
    vinyllover June 24, 2014 (3:37 pm)

Yes. Yes. YES!!! This could not make me happier!

• comment-avatar
    miketown June 24, 2014 (3:56 pm)

Top Pot confirms on twitter…

• comment-avatar
    Lauri June 24, 2014 (4:03 pm)

And there goes the diet.

• comment-avatar
    e June 24, 2014 (4:21 pm)

No. No. NOOOO!!!! My will power is not strong enough to live so close to a Top Pot! :)

• comment-avatar
    Mary June 24, 2014 (4:23 pm)

Oh happy, happy, HAPPY day! It was less than a week ago that I noticed a Top Pot elsewhere and asked, all woebegone, why we couldn’t have one in West Seattle. And now there’s this. Hurrah!

• comment-avatar
    Marc June 24, 2014 (4:25 pm)

Oh this is just terrible. :)

• comment-avatar
    Glenda June 24, 2014 (4:26 pm)

Such a happy girl!!!’

• comment-avatar
    sam-c June 24, 2014 (4:27 pm)

YES YES YES! everytime there was talk about a new development with commercial at the ground floor, I always thought, WHEN is WS going to get a top pot?

finally! YAY!

(obviously this isn’t one of those new developments in a WS junction, but I’ll take it.)

• comment-avatar
    westseattletransplant June 24, 2014 (4:29 pm)

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! No more making the drive off the island to Capitol Hill for a great fresh donut!

• comment-avatar
    Momma donuts June 24, 2014 (4:33 pm)

Eh. They are kind of dodgy business people. I’ll go elsewhere.

• comment-avatar
    Ray June 24, 2014 (4:35 pm)

Not a location one would expect.

Should do well during the drier/warmer months, but what kind of foot traffic are they going to get during the cold, dark, rainy, dreary months of the year.

Not much of a destination location to entice me to head out that way in mid January, in the morning, when it is cold, wet and windy, to grab a donut or two.

• comment-avatar
    Aaron B June 24, 2014 (4:43 pm)

That’s still quite the hike from those of us on the south end. Fingers crossed for a branch in Westwood Village, which will guarantee I go diabetic in the near future.

• comment-avatar
    Zee June 24, 2014 (5:10 pm)

After seeing Aaron’s comment, I wondered and went to Top Pot’s website & then clicked on the nutritional information area showing all the low down on the doughnuts. Wow. Enjoy but eat with care is what I see after looking at that. I am sure this will be a welcome place to many.

• comment-avatar
    lina June 24, 2014 (5:17 pm)

yayayayayay! If they can create an inviting place to hang out, drink coffee and eat amazing donuts, then they will get winter traffic. I go down to alki a lot in the winter and have wished for a (local) spot to read, meet friends. And, If i can get a donut there, I am sold.

• comment-avatar
    acm June 24, 2014 (5:32 pm)

This is wonderful/terrible news.

• comment-avatar
    Dee June 24, 2014 (5:34 pm)

I believe QFC in Westwood sells Top Pot donuts.

• comment-avatar
    fisher June 24, 2014 (5:44 pm)

I’d rather have a fly fishing store instead.

• comment-avatar
    wscommuter June 24, 2014 (5:49 pm)

They’re fat free, right?

I’m ecstatic, as long as they don’t serve any f*%#ing merlot …

• comment-avatar
    Cashmere June 24, 2014 (5:59 pm)

Yay!!!!!!! I’ve been waiting!!!!! The Apple fritters are pure perfection.

• comment-avatar
    kevin June 24, 2014 (6:29 pm)

Top Pot Doughnuts… Did you know that Top Pot has a book out on the market?
    “Hand Forged Doughnuts” – “Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker.” – 2011. Now you can make them at home, regardless of where you live :)
    Easier to go to one of their shops in my opinion :), although I found the book very informative.
    A worthy read.

• comment-avatar
    mmarie June 24, 2014 (6:53 pm)

Oh when will we get a great classic diner instead of cupcakes and donuts?

• comment-avatar
    cj June 24, 2014 (6:59 pm)

Sweeeeeeeet! Finally decent coffee and donuts!

• comment-avatar
    alki resident June 24, 2014 (7:00 pm)

Im on day four of my diet and Cashmere has to mention “apple fritter”, Im going to hell.
    Will there be any local TPDAA, Top Pot Doughnut addiction anonymous groups that I can go to in the fall?

• comment-avatar
    Robin June 24, 2014 (7:01 pm)

There’s a Subway on Alki? Actually, I knew this, but not until a couple of weeks ago.

• comment-avatar
    sgs June 24, 2014 (7:13 pm)

yawn…..same old, same old….

• comment-avatar
    andisizzle June 24, 2014 (7:19 pm)

Oh great googily moogily I am both elated and mournful for my calorie intake.

• comment-avatar
    Biankat June 24, 2014 (7:19 pm)

Woohoo!!!
    And yes, I did see TP at QFC last time I walked through. Doesn’t feel the same as from the source though.

• comment-avatar
    mmmmm :-) June 24, 2014 (7:44 pm)

Oh yeaaa!

• comment-avatar
    mike June 24, 2014 (7:58 pm)

Now all we need is Dick’s Drive In and we are complete.

• comment-avatar
    idon'tgetit June 24, 2014 (8:03 pm)

Apparently none of you have had The Original Bakery doughnuts right out of the oven.

Just a block up from the ferry.

I have tried Top Pot to check them out.
    I do not get it. They are not better than The Original Bakery. They are not better than any doughnut I have ever had at a grocery store.

All the fuss is lost on me.
    But if you haven’t ever been to Original, you *must*, as citizens of the doughnut universe, attend to their shop with haste!

Their plain old-fashioned doughnut remains the best in the city.

• comment-avatar
    Jennifer June 24, 2014 (8:21 pm)

But… Alki? Who wants a donut on the beach? And on a lazy Sunday morning, do you really want to drive to Alki and find a parking spot for donuts? If it were going somewhere else in WS I’d be worried for my waistline, but I doubt I’ll go there more than once or twice.

• comment-avatar
    payrollgirl June 24, 2014 (8:23 pm)

idon’tgetit is right The Original is the best!!!!

• comment-avatar
    Krisyepthat'sme June 24, 2014 (8:27 pm)

Pink Feather Boa, you will be mine! Again and again…..

• comment-avatar
    Guy June 24, 2014 (9:47 pm)

Did the police complain about lack of donut shops?

• comment-avatar
    John June 24, 2014 (11:08 pm)

Last year a Top Pot opened just a few blocks from where I work. Now they’re opening a few blocks from where I live. The siren call of the chocolate feather boa is following me!

• comment-avatar
    Pibal June 24, 2014 (11:48 pm)

Just curious…

Having tried their doughnuts in the past, I have found them to be quite good. However, I have also found them to be incredibly expensive – pricey enough that I avoid rather than indulge.

Anyone else feel this way or is that just me?

• comment-avatar
    TLS June 25, 2014 (12:03 am)

I’m another solid vote for The Original Bakery. De-Lish-Tastic.

• comment-avatar
    Raye Westad June 25, 2014 (6:06 am)

Not sure how well they will do in this location. I may try them once, but I avoid sugary treats as much as possible. Good luck to them.

• comment-avatar
    Jane June 25, 2014 (7:43 am)

Shrewd move. Alki on a weekend in the summer makes pioneer square after hours look like a trip to the family fun center in comparison, this is probably the only way to get cops to go to alki in the first place.

• comment-avatar
    Sutton June 25, 2014 (7:48 am)

Shout out to Original Bakery – best raised glazed, especially when just out of oven. Melts in your mouth…

I have also partaken of the Top Pot. Raspberry Old Fashioned is my treat…

Good to have choices, and a 4.5 mile walk along the beach between them!

• comment-avatar
    sam-c June 25, 2014 (7:54 am)

idon’tgetit: yes I have been there, many times.
    but the variety at Top Pot is different, extensive, have you been to a top pot ? raspberry glazed old fashioned….. mmmm……

• comment-avatar
    Born on Alki June 25, 2014 (8:06 am)

Does this mean there will be another 100′ long “Police Parking Only” zone on Alki….?
    Darn tasty donuts though.

• comment-avatar
    HotCoffee June 25, 2014 (8:32 am)

Soon there won’t be a fresh vegetable within a mile of Alki … just burgers, donuts and fish’n chips. Well, they do what the people want and apparently America wants heart disease!

• comment-avatar
    Westsea June 25, 2014 (8:33 am)

The Original Bakery is #1!!!! Mmm, their apple fritters and friday only- applesauce doughnuts are amazing :)
    If you haven’t been there check them out. Next to Endolyne Joes near the ferry terminal.
    I Support Local Small WS Businesses!

• comment-avatar
    skeeter June 25, 2014 (8:44 am)

How much does a standard-size single doughnut cost at this store?

• comment-avatar
    Alphonse June 25, 2014 (11:58 am)

Dear Top Pot – Welcome to West Seattle! What’s that? Why yes, we ARE a very passive aggressive bunch, even for Seattle. We would prefer that you were in a different location, sold a different product, had a different price point, were as good as a preferred competitor, and we’ll probably never buy the product you sell in any case, because we avoid it. But best of luck to you!

• comment-avatar
    My two cents ... June 25, 2014 (1:49 pm)

Nice to see them expand here, hope they do well.

As a side note, “love” reading the comments for all the crank-pots dismissing, dissing, and disrespecting something as basic as a donut or the people that want to try and build a business.

• comment-avatar
    ACG June 25, 2014 (3:34 pm)

Another vote for the Original Bakery. It is only 3 minutes from Westwood (and near the ferry too) so anyone in south West Seattle (or ANYONE in West Seattle should stop in, for that matter). Be aware, if you roll in there in the afternoon on Saturday or Sunday’s- a lot of the doughnut flavors are sold out by then. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

• comment-avatar
    fulana June 25, 2014 (4:04 pm)

I’ve driven past the Original Bakery so many times and thought, “I should check that out”. Now I definitely will.

• comment-avatar
    gollygee June 25, 2014 (8:06 pm)

just wondering…is there a vegetarian place anywhere near by? (I do like donuts)

• comment-avatar
    KT June 26, 2014 (10:46 am)

If they are not made on the premises then they are never as good IMO.

• comment-avatar
    westseattledood June 26, 2014 (3:11 pm)

I like Original Bakery because they are freshly made. No frozen dough or batter. That affects the texture – blech. So Original is Made fresh daily from freshly made dough.

And aside from doughnuts – if you haven’t tried the Original’s Chocolate Shortbread, fellow shortbread peeps, you are in for a treat. I think Original’s light chocolate shortbread is better than Bakery Nouveau. I do so love all things BN.

On rainy days, I really like the unique interior of the Original Bakery as well with its antique tables in a historical building with owners who are not a corporate franchise.I see “famous” people in there too. Low key and very cool.

• comment-avatar
    West Sea Neighbor June 26, 2014 (9:04 pm)

All I can say is WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD!! We’re looking forward to you being here, Top Pot!!

• comment-avatar
    AlkiGrl June 26, 2014 (9:37 pm)

Yay!!!!!

• comment-avatar
    JC June 27, 2014 (9:26 am)

Original Bakery in Fauntleroy takes the cake when in comes to donuts and pastries. Bernie uses a secret ingredient that Top Pot took out of their kitchens many years ago when they switched to mass production. And that secret ingredient is….Bernie makes everything with Love.

• comment-avatar
    gina June 27, 2014 (4:26 pm)

Price for a dozen was about $17.00 Halloween 2013. (3rd Ave location).

• comment-avatar
    Anon June 28, 2014 (4:59 pm)

Pibal, I agree 100%!!!

Not all that and Safeway has a much better doughnuts for about 6.25 a dozen but fools these days will flock to almost anything.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann