Update: Homicide investigation after woman found dead in High Point

December 14, 2013 at 4:46 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 37 Comments

ORIGINAL REPORT, 4:46 PM: Police at the scene of an investigation at a home on High Point Drive are not commenting on what they are investigating. We went to the scene after neighbors messaged us about crime scene tape and CSI detectives. One source tells us a “suspicious death” is being checked out – we are working to confirm that.

5:26 PM UPDATE: Police now confirm it’s a homicide investigation:

Homicide detectives are on scene in West Seattle where a woman was found dead in her home early this afternoon.

At approximately 12:27 p.m. officers responded to the 5900 block of High Point Drive SW to check the welfare of a homeowner.  Upon arrival officers located a deceased woman in her 40′s inside the home.  There was nobody else inside the residence upon the arrival of officers.

Homicide and CSI detectives responded to process the scene and continue to actively investigate.

The suspect(s) remain at large.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Seattle Police Homicide Tip Line at (206) 233-5000.  Anonymous tips are welcome.

This remains an active and ongoing homicide investigation.

This is the first West Seattle homicide investigation since the still-unsolved murder of Greggette Guy more than a year and a half ago.

12:37 AM UPDATE: A few more details from police via SPD Blotter: They say the victim was 46 years old and describe her as the homeowner for the address where she was found. According to police, the call that led them to the residence was made by “a relative.” They are not saying how she died but “foul play is suspected.” TV reports quote family members as saying the victim had been stabbed to death.

1. This is so scary, I hope they find who did this. I hope she didn’t suffer. This is so unnerving .

Comment by alki resident — 6:38 pm December 14, 2013 #

2. I’d say its too recent to consider “unsolved”.

Curious as to why a welfare check to begin with.

Comment by gmabetty — 6:43 pm December 14, 2013 #

3. This is right down the street from where I live. I was walking my dogs by here a few hours ago and stopped and talked to a few people across the street. At the time cops weren’t commenting, but it was obviously something bad had happened by the amount of Police with Homicide, and CSI jackets on. The victims neighbors were out and trying to get answers about their friend who lived there(the victim I assume.) Really sad. I hope they catch the person who did this, kinda nerve wracking living so close, and walking in that area every day.

Comment by Blank — 7:06 pm December 14, 2013 #

4. gmabetty- A welfare check usually happens after some time has gone by and there’s no contact with someone. It’s not uncommon for someone to phone police when you haven’t been able to reach that person.

Comment by Alki resident — 7:36 pm December 14, 2013 #

5. Absolutely unnerving living so close by. Especially not knowing if this was some kind of random break in situation or if it was someone known to the victim.

Comment by trickycoolj — 8:02 pm December 14, 2013 #

6. My sincere condolences to her family. May they and our community have the ability to heal from this horrific incident. I have no doubt perpetrator(s) will be caught.

Comment by hp res — 9:08 am December 15, 2013 #

7. My condolences to the family. How sad and scary.

Comment by Gabby — 11:11 am December 15, 2013 #

8. The name of the victim has been relased. She was a very sweet peaceful lady. This a horrific senseless crime. Prayers to the family. Hopefully a fundraiser will be set up for them.

Comment by HPfriend — 12:35 pm December 15, 2013 #

9. Thank you. Her name has not been “released,” but relatives are quoted as identifying her in that story, which is the same one linked in our story above, from one of the TV crews that hung out in the area last night. The official information might not be out until tomorrow. It also matches a name that comes up in public-records searches for the home. No updates so far today on any progress toward motive or suspect(s). – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:03 pm December 15, 2013 #

10. Creepy note in the paper regarding the candle.

Comment by scout15 — 3:16 pm December 15, 2013 #

11. I just saw her a week ago smiling and looking cute at the bus stop. I’m so shocked about her death. Prayers to the family. Where’s the boyfriend? I hope the police are questioning him. She was a sweet lady.

Comment by HP neighbor — 7:13 pm December 15, 2013 #

12. The details, if true, in the KIRO article (linked above) are just awful. My sincere condolences to the family. How terrible. I hope that justice can be delivered soon.

Comment by ACG — 7:55 pm December 15, 2013 #

13. Is time to start a neighborhood watch lets try to get more close each and other to prevent this incidents so sad.

Comment by sslp — 8:19 pm December 15, 2013 #

14. Any update on this? Scary that there’s been no further communication from SPD. I recall from past homicides, SPD usually lets the public know within 24 hours if they suspect it could be random, or if they think the suspect is known to the victim. Also, there should be more visibility / a call from SPD for people to come forward if they have info.

Comment by Gabby — 8:29 am December 16, 2013 #

15. No (but we’re calling police shortly), and no, there is no pattern to how information emerges. For example, just looking at the West Seattle cases in the past few years, in the Greggette Guy case, contrary to one misinterpretation of remarks made by local police, they have NEVER said whether that was or wasn’t random. In a couple other unsolved local murders – Jeremy Peck and Kaari Higgins – those weren’t even declared homicide cases until quite some time afterward. And in the 2012 Morgan Junction murder, an arrest was made rather quickly; same with the early 2011 Fauntleroy murder. There were murder-suicide cases in 2010 and 2011, so no arrest ever to be made there.

Comment by WSB — 8:46 am December 16, 2013 #

16. I’d like to hear an update as well.

Regarding “homeowner” information – correct me if I’m wrong but I am 95% sure the unit in the picture is owned by Seattle Housing Authority (SHA.) So the individual living there would be a tenant, not the owner. Not that it’s a huge difference. Just wanted to clarify.

Comment by skeeter — 9:25 am December 16, 2013 #

17. No new information, still looking for tips, per Det. Mark Jamieson in the media unit, with whom I spoke a few minutes ago. The official ID/cause of death would come from the Medical Examiner’s Office later today, likely.

Comment by WSB — 9:39 am December 16, 2013 #

18. The High Point HOA just told us that Seattle Housing Authority would be communicating via Nextdoor since they don’t have an email list for homeowners only tenants. They’ve been pretty mum on the situation too.

Comment by trickycoolj — 11:14 am December 16, 2013 #

19. Anyone who lives there who would like to share the news outside Nextdoor, which is a private, take-your-personal-info-for-profit venture-capital funded corporation that should NOT be used by public entities, please forward to us if and when you get something. I’ll be checking with SHA’s media people shortly too. Thanks for mentioning that. – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:18 am December 16, 2013 #

20. in an email message from the High Point HOA:

“Seattle Housing Authority property management staff is working closely with the Seattle Police Department and we hope to be able to share more information in the coming days as we learn more. At this time, we have no reason to believe there is an immediate threat to the neighborhood as a result of the incident.”

Comment by Speedy — 11:25 am December 16, 2013 #

21. Thanks, Speedy. The full message containing that also has been forwarded to me, but that’s the heart of it. Still no new info, basically.

Comment by WSB — 11:39 am December 16, 2013 #

22. I interpret “we have no reason to believe there is an immediate threat to the neighborhood” as saying that the murder was not random. If it was a random murder I think there would be a threat.

Comment by skeeter — 11:47 am December 16, 2013 #

23. skeeter, it says “at this time we have no reason” meaning they have no concrete info either way. this is just jargon to relieve nerves, IMO. And, it is NOT from SPD, so meaningless.

Comment by Gabby — 12:55 pm December 16, 2013 #

24. What Gabby said. In our experience, anyway. We did just speak with an SHA spokesperson – and will be putting together all the new info, including whatever the medical examiner has to say (they often don’t have their daily media release until about 3 pm), this afternoon, unless there’s something urgently important, in which case of course we will just get it out ASAP.

Comment by WSB — 1:04 pm December 16, 2013 #

25. Well maybe my interpretation is incorrect. Wouldn’t be the first time I suppose.

Comment by skeeter — 2:46 pm December 16, 2013 #

26. I live really near, just heard some police pass by. Is it about this case or is it something else?

Comment by HP Near — 5:59 pm December 16, 2013 #

27. @scout15, today’s paper? Or where are you referring to? I’d like to read it! Condolences to the family and friends of this poor women!

Comment by Mrsjonesb — 6:03 pm December 16, 2013 #

28. The article/update was from KIRO TV News update
    | Posted: 12:58 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 15, 2013

I do not expect too many more details and I believe they would have preferred the daughter not released the information.

Comment by scout15 — 7:09 pm December 16, 2013 #

29. Kiro TV Sunday

Comment by Scout 15 — 7:10 pm December 16, 2013 #

30. As a resident of West Seattle for most of my life and within a mile of this location I am saddened by the changes we are experiencing. Home invasions, rapes and murders are becoming all too common. Many of us don’t even feel safe in our own homes anymore. My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of this special lady. You are in our
    thoughts and prayers.

Comment by Laura — 1:26 am December 17, 2013 #

31. Laura – One murder is too many. But in the interest of facts, I do need to dispute the contention they are becoming common. This is the first one in our area in more than a year and a half – since March 2012. Again, one is too many. But the homicide rate in Seattle is low and that includes West Seattle, lower than it was decades ago (I will never forget 1993, for example). The other two types of crimes are not common, either, but I don’t have the numbers to speak to – only an anecdotal knowledge from covering this area closely for six years and living here for 22. Again, one of ANY crime, of course, is one too many, and I hope this is solved soon – we published an update late last night in which, while police weren’t saying much else, they did say the scene yielded usable evidence … important for investigators. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 7:43 am December 17, 2013 #

32. They need to look very closely into the neighbors. I used to live on that street and there was a person who had extremely suspicious behavior and a ton of random scuzzy men in and out at all times of day.

Comment by anon — 9:25 am December 17, 2013 #

33. Thanks Tracy, I wanted to clarify I was speaking in a general sense. The facts don’t speak to me as much as the unspeakable brutal nature of the crime. I appreciate your input.

Comment by Laura — 10:39 am December 17, 2013 #

34. How many more WS residents need to be killed before home robberies, rapes, and violence are taken seriously here!!!! Recently the blog reported a 14 yr old got caught robbing a WS lady’s house in the middle of the night, what says he DIDN’T do it or personally knows who does? Likelihood of murderer(s) getting caught for this = ZERO, so why not do it again?

Comment by Trajan — 4:28 am December 18, 2013 #

35. I feel this is an isolated incident, but could be wrong. Guessing doesn’t solve anything. Whether she owned or rented doesn’t really matter. Police will give more information when its definite. Just because they don’t say “person of interest” doesn’t mean there is or isn’t. I just feel so sad for the family.

I’m aware of what “welfare check” is. They’re done in our building when we don’t see or hear from a neighbor at times. We kind of look out for each other.

If you read the Crime Reports, not much happens in High Point , mostly areas around us. Mail thefts are everywhere this time of year and worse with the new electronic age and on line shopping.

Comment by gmabetty — 8:43 pm December 18, 2013 #

36. Are there any new updates on this? I really want to hear the police have arrested and charged whatever horrible person/s have done this.

Comment by EN — 12:22 pm December 19, 2013 #

37. @Trajan actually the chances are high that this person will be caught. It can take awhile for DNA to be processed and returned, in one Seattle case I followed it took over a week to run it and find a match. Not only that, Seattle homicide detectives are very, very good. They may have their suspect and are waiting for hard evidence so they can arrest.

Comment by Gabby — 8:53 pm December 19, 2013 #