West Seattle Crime Watch: Segway at the scene of the crime

July 23, 2012 at 10:03 am | In Crime, West Seattle news | 22 Comments

We’ve received more than a few reports of bicycles left behind at crime scenes – but this is the first time we recalling hearing a Segway left behind! The photo is from Jennifer, who explained that she found it near where two neighbors’ cars were broken into overnight in the 6600 block of Holly Place SW. Moments after her first note, before we even started writing this story, she sent a second note to say that the owner of a local rental business – contacted by a friend of hers – came to get it, and said, she wrote, “it was stolen from his carport and that it didn’t even run. He said they had to push or pull it over here. He said it was probably pretty difficult since there is resistance in the wheels.”

Meantime, while we’re not sure it’s from a theft, we’re also taking the occasion to mention a mystery bicycle that’s shown up – not too far (likely coincidentally, but you never know) from the above discovery:

Patty sent the photo and reports: “I found this bike in my boulevard strip this morning. It has a rear wheel lock on it, so it is not ridable unless you have the key for that. It is a 6-speed, with brown leather seat, front luggage rack & a headlamp. Obviously somebody’s commuter bike. I don’t know why it is here but figure it may be stolen and just dumped in front of my house. If the rightful owner wants to come by, I left it propped against my recycle bins by the sidewalk. 39th Ave SW between Othello and Webster.”

12:51 PM UPDATE: Patty says they’ve found the bike’s owner, who lives nearby. It was apparently stolen just last night.

1. That lower picture if of a dutch bike and was more than likely purchased from Dutch Bike Company in Seattle. (http://dutchbikeseattle.com) They may have records of who bought it. It is a really expensive bike and someone is probably missing it for sure.

Comment by Kathrine — 10:28 am July 23, 2012 #

2. Please pull this bike into your garage, I think this is the vintage bike that was stolen from the elederly man who posted it a few months back.

Comment by Silly Goose — 10:36 am July 23, 2012 #

3. Thanks SG – I will e-mail that person to make sure she sees the comment. I’m glad someone else has a good memory; when I publish photos, we receive them and upload them so fast that I don’t really get to make a good mental imprint and connect something like this! – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:48 am July 23, 2012 #

4. It is a current model being sold at Dutch Bike Company. The model is called the “Workcycle Oma NuVinci.” It has been customized with a front rack.

Comment by Kathrine — 10:55 am July 23, 2012 #

5. Yup – nice expensive bike. Don’t leave outside :(

Comment by biankat — 11:12 am July 23, 2012 #

6. We had a bike left in front of our house this spring. It had been customized with blue fur and looked like Cookie Monster’s bike.
    I don’t think it coincided with a crime, but this is a weird pattern.

Comment by DRS — 11:21 am July 23, 2012 #

7. I can’t find the story in which it was reported as SG mentioned, though I took a quick scan of stories that came up mentioning bicycle theft stolen bike, etc. – if anyone else does, let me know – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:36 am July 23, 2012 #

8. That Dutch bike is gorgeous. Too bad West Seattle has so many hills. Sigh…

Comment by AJP — 11:49 am July 23, 2012 #

9. Update, which I’m adding to the story … They have found the bike’s owner – didn’t live far away, but said the bike had been stolen last night. Reunited now. – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:51 pm July 23, 2012 #

10. I am a daily Dutch Bike commuter in West Seattle. It can be done. It’s not easy up hill.

Especially if the back wheel is locked. But for theft, weight can help get your bike back!

Comment by Bob Anderton — 1:23 pm July 23, 2012 #

11. If something of value like this is found near your house, is it best to contact police? I know they are not the lost & found. I located the neighbor whose bike it was while trying to contact the block watch captain (I am a neighbor of Patty’s but outside the “block”).

Comment by Sally — 1:29 pm July 23, 2012 #

12. YAHOO I am so glad that is had been reunited with it’s owner, it is a beautiful bike.

As for all the bike thefts, most of the local thieves use them as transportation after they have spray painted them, I see these local guys on a different bike weekly.

On a different note just noticed a cement mixer at the local pawn shop Capital Loans, didn’t someome report they had one stolen months ago?

Comment by Silly Goose — 1:50 pm July 23, 2012 #

13. I too am a Dutch Bike commuter in West Seattle. Getting up the Avalon hill is interesting.. but it’s great exercise. Glad this bike was returned to its rightful owner.

Comment by Sonic — 3:29 pm July 23, 2012 #

14. I could use one of those. I have a hole in my lungs and I get tired quite easy.

Comment by Jiggers — 4:10 pm July 23, 2012 #

15. “That Dutch bike is gorgeous. Too bad West Seattle has so many hills. Sigh…”

Looks to me like an awesome candidate for an electric conversion. Of course a decent 1000W setup will run $1000-$1500 on top of the bike cost.

Comment by JonF — 5:36 pm July 23, 2012 #

16. I saw a ton of electric-assisted bicycles when I was in China and still wonder why they haven’t caught on here.

Comment by datamuse — 7:02 pm July 23, 2012 #

17. Funny how no one has anything to say about that nerdy Segway…

Comment by Oh man — 7:35 pm July 23, 2012 #

18. That’s a beautiful Dutch oma bike! Maybe we need to get together a Dutch bike rally…

Comment by soosan — 8:56 pm July 23, 2012 #

19. Electric assist would be helpful for sure. If this bike does have six speeds that’s definitely a lot better than Dutch bikes in Holland, they usually have three. Although an Oma fiets like this usually has just one.

Comment by AJP — 9:54 pm July 23, 2012 #

20. That’s cause Segways aren’t sexy. That bike, on the other hand…

Comment by datamuse — 9:58 pm July 23, 2012 #

21. Perhaps the thief is trading one stolen object for another. In any case an odd pattern for sure.

Comment by cj — 12:17 am July 24, 2012 #

22. Goes to show we’re a bike town, not a Segway burb.

Comment by Oh man — 11:51 am July 24, 2012 #