Do you know that the Seattle Chinese Garden is maintained by volunteers? And that it is one of the Northwest’s most unusual gardens? Gardeners of all experience levels are welcome to attend a special work day focused on bamboo.
• Tour the 5-acre grounds with head gardener Bob Seely. Learn about authentic Sichuan-style garden design and plants native to China, and see more than 400 tree peonies plants on the verge of blooming.
• See the Garden’s 13 varieties of bamboo and learn the difference between running and clumping types.
• Meet James Clever, Seattle-based bamboo gardener, nurseryman, and American Bamboo Society past president.
• See a demonstration of tools for pruning, thinning, mulching, tending bamboo so it looks magical in the garden.
• Learn about pests and good bamboo grove maintenance practices.
• Help construct a simple fence out of bamboo branches and culms. Try your hand at bundling, tying, and attaching the bundles to our fence frames with simple techniques suitable for use in your own garden.
• Help with the removal of old, dead, weak, or damaged canes and side branches in an unmaintained reserve grove. Help bring us up to tip-top condition for bamboo shooting season.
Wear work clothes and shoes. Please bring your own tools including gloves and safety glasses. Those who want a hands-on experience should bring pruning shears, loppers, and pruning saws.
Please Bring your lunch and a beverage. Cookie bakers and sharers are especially welcome! Let’s make new friends and talk about bamboo. If we get some projects done, that’s great too!
After the workshop ends, we’ll offer an optional walk through the adjacent 5-acre South Seattle College Arboretum. It has a fantastic plant collection and is an American Conifer Society reference garden ~ a must see in spring.
6000 16th Avenue SW in West Seattle • South Seattle College North Entrance
Visit seattlechinesegarden.org for directions. The garden is six minutes from the Delridge exit off the WS Bridge.
Parking is free on 16th Ave SW and is available on campus for $3 at the ticket machine.
For Questions Contact:
Bob Seely, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206.849.4055
James Clever, email@example.com, 206.371.1072
West Seattle, Washington