READER REPORT: Another West Seattle bridge that won’t reopen before 2022

Doug Ollerenshaw sent us the photos and report after looking into a bridge situation in West Seattle that reminds him, though on a much-smaller scale, of the “other” bridge situation that’s now in its 12th month – a maintenance problem and closure that won’t be resolved before next year. Above is his 2020 photo of a bridge across Longfellow Creek, near Greg Davis Park, that he noticed last year was showing signs of deterioration. Last summer, he noticed it had been removed, without public notice. “I figured it was a short-term thing, but finally started trying to figure out what was going on (this week) after seeing no sign of work on a replacement.” This is how the spot looks now:

He was pointed to the Parks Department, and got this explanation:

The bridge was removed in late summer/early fall this past year by our heavy equipment crew … The bridge had previously been compromised structurally for several years and the cracked stringer finally broke completely and was in the creek. We are looking for funding so we can identify a replacement timeframe/schedule. At this point it is uncertain, but hopefully, in 2022.

We’ll be following up on the funding issue, but in the meantime, this is one for the “in case you wondered too” file.

8 Replies to "READER REPORT: Another West Seattle bridge that won't reopen before 2022"

  • Jorn February 24, 2021 (6:00 pm)

    Is there a $75 toll bridge around for this one too?

  • West Seattle Mad Sci Guy February 24, 2021 (9:16 pm)

    I discovered this bridge was out at 7 pm in pitch black darkness (I know, smart).  They at least have it well barricaded.

  • wseaturtle February 24, 2021 (11:27 pm)

    I’m sure we have the best engineers working on this, trying to figure outwhat to do.  It’ll probably take years.

  • My two cents ... February 25, 2021 (5:06 am)

    I’m waiting for the comments to come in on how it should take 3 days and cost $500. The other option will be to propose a new design (maybe even a tunnel? Suspension bridge?) in a new location that will solve everything.

  • aa February 25, 2021 (6:22 am)

    If someone is interested in looking into it, they might find help via an engineering class/program at South Seattle CC or UW. Waiting for Parks Department to find funding will take awhile. I can’t imagine its on the top of the list of funding priorities.  Of course they would have to work with the parks department but it may be an option.

  • drahcir61 February 25, 2021 (1:22 pm)

    Wait, no one has suggested a TUNNEL?!?  Am I on the right webpage, this is the West Seattle Blog, right???

  • Colonel Mustard's Wrench February 25, 2021 (7:21 pm)

    Run to failure – just like the West Seattle Bridge. 

    Zero leadership with our city departments.

  • TreeHouse February 27, 2021 (8:33 am)

    Can we do a study to check if a gondola is a viable replacement?

Sorry, comment time is over.