WSB Forum » Politics

(22 posts)

Winning

1. for dobro

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. Thanks, I think.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. I'd like to see a repeat performance..
    after all, if we could give Bush Jr a second term based on campaign promises he might keep
    think what we could do for Obama by electing a congress that would work with him ...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. DBP

the problem is that there is no balance in this election...

although some would argue that since Obama has governed as a moderate Republican, balance would be best attained by re-electing him.

intolerance is the biggest problem here...
    and no.. i don't believe that we lefties are nearly as intolerant as some would lead you to believe...

After all, we are actively promoting the candidacy of a sitting President who is not governing like a leftie.... that should tell you a great deal about our capacity for tolerance :(

If we want balance.. the pendulum of public perception has a long way to swing back towards the left before that is achieved.

if your image is supposed to refer to a symbiotic relationship between two halves that make a whole..
    i would remind you that symbiosis only works when both parties are willing to work towards the greater good.

If the greater good is the health of the bottom line of American business.. we have achieved symbiosis. They are doing remarkably well.

If the greater good is the health of the American people.. we have a long way to go before our people are whole.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. Here's to failed success . . .

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. DBP ,, Lance is a great example of the long term outcome of short term gain

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky

Posted 1 year ago #         
    Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    'Good-morning,' and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
    And admirably schooled in every grace:
    In fine, we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

–Edwin Arlington Robinson
    "Richard Cory"

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. kootchman
    Member Profile

It's easier, JoB to elect a president that can work with congress.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. kootchman
    Member Profile

Lines like this make ya shake yer head,,, where to they get this shit?

"If the greater good is the health of the bottom line of American business.. we have achieved symbiosis. They are doing remarkably well."

242 companies on the Moody's 300 index have announced lower forcasted earnings for the last quarter.... that's doing great?

Stocks? Stocks are high because corporations have no place to invest their earnings rather then see them wither, they are sending out dividends or buying back stock. The reason institutional investors are buying, the bond market is so low, no one is interested in long term bonds.. and a 3 per cent yield in dividends is actually attractive. Thats the market telling you "we don't see any prospects for growth" so we will give up cash to the investors. Got no use for it.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. Big-shots aren't as important as everybody thinks they are, and they know it. Even many genuinely brilliant and talented people are actually paranoids who live in constant terror of being exposed as "frauds."

I am the great and powerful Oz!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. redblack
    Member Profile

redblack

hold on a second. that picture... post 3.

is obama's hand on a... what is that book?

but the bigger question is: what color is the person holding that book?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. kootch..

"It's easier, JoB to elect a president that can work with congress."

it's even harder when congress is playing electoral politics instead of tending to the nation's business.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. kootch..

more cheery picking

"242 companies on the Moody's 300 index have announced lower forcasted earnings for the last quarter.... that's doing great? "

while they didn't do as well as financial analysts expected in the last quarter,
    their actual numbers don't tell a sad tale,
    do they?

companies that didn't do as well as predicted
    are still doing very very well..

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. redblack..

LOL.. you are right.
    i didn't look closely at DBP's art.

Posted 1 year ago #         

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. redblack
    Member Profile

redblack

now i get it.

obama was duly sworn in - on a christian bible, no less! - but he was sworn in by an alien. which i'm pretty sure invalidates his presidency.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. waynster
    Member Profile

waynster

That's it!!!!! dang it Red I knew it...conspiracy....!!!!.... lmao

Posted 1 year ago #         
  21. [This is the "Winning" Version -- Skip down if you've already read this section in the "Losing" thread]

My comments in this post are based on what I learned from Frontline's recent biographical piece on the Presidential candidates.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/choice-2012/#a

In this post, I'm going to talk about President Obama. In the companion thread ("Losing") I talk about Mitt Romney.

****************************************************************************************

Barack Obama's critics perceive him as arrogant, ambitious.

Yeah. I can see where they get that. He is arrogant, actually.

But ambitious? No. Not really.
    It just looks that way.

Where some folks see ambition, I see a really talented guy who's just trying to figure it all out. And testing his limits is one way of doing that.

And the arrogance? Well that sort of . . . comes with the territory.

But let's look back and see where Barack got his ambition, shall we? Because I have a theory about that.

****************************************************************************************

As a child, Barack Obama was essentially a refugee. His ditzy, selfish parents didn't want him, so he wound up with his grandparents, who, though they loved him, couldn't come close to giving this kid the kind of attention he needed.

So where did young Barack belong; who were his people? He'd been raised by White folks, but White folks didn't fully embrace him, because he looked so Black. But Blacks didn't embrace him either, since he acted so White.

At some point he must've concluded that if there was a place for him in this world, he'd have to seek it out for himself. And that's just what he ended up doing for the next 20 years: seeking.

So what, you say. This is America. There are LOTS of "seekers" out there. What makes Barack Obama different from any one of them?

Hm. Whattaya think?
    Must be the "special sauce."

You take a seeker
    Give him an above-average IQ
    Throw in a silver tongue, a winning personality

. . . and about a hundred million hopes and dreams . . .

What do you get?

You get Barack Obama.

Barack the Organizer

Harvard Whiz Kid
    Convention Dazzler
    Congressman
    Senator

First Black President
    Instant Nobel Laureate
    Gen-yoo-wine Historical Phenomenon

Yeah, Baby!

***************************************************************************************

Oh, I expect there must've been at least one or two points in Barack's life where he stopped and said to himself: Wow! Even I can't believe I've made it this far. How much further I can go with this politics thing before I crash?

;-)

Well, now. We ALL know the answer to that one, don't we?

*****************************************************************************************

Yes, I see the arrogance that Obama's critics see. But I see something they don't see, which is . . . humility.

Yup, you heard me. Humility. Profound humility. A humility as is known only by those who've scrambled up a mountain only to come tumbling back down on their ass.

Humility

I saw it in the first debate.
    Saw it in the second debate.
    Saw it at the White House Correspondents dinner.

Humility

Ah, I thought. Here's a man who's taken his share of blows. And I know just how he feels, 'cuz I've taken my share, too. And like him, I made it out alive. Somehow.

But despite any similarities on that score, there's an important difference between him and me, and in this difference lies the reason why Barack Obama might just make a great second-term President.

Dude's still trying to get up on top of that mountain.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  22. Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^