West Seattle whales: Orcas swim by in the sunshine

December 8, 2013 at 12:16 am | In Seen at sea, West Seattle news, Wildlife | 8 Comments

In the midst of all the hectic holiday activities on Saturday – orcas swam by West Seattle shores. Thanks to Trileigh Tucker for sharing photos!

Trileigh watched the orcas from Lowman Beach.

1. Yay! I saw your tweet yesterday afternoon that they were out, but I was tied down at home, waiting for AAA to arrive to jump my dead car battery. Thanks to Trileigh for sharing your lovely photos! How blessed we are to share the Puget Sound with these amazing beings.

Comment by Maggie — 4:02 am December 8, 2013 #

2. Delicious!

Comment by A-Red — 7:35 am December 8, 2013 #

3. Wish we would have known. Didn’t see anything on Orca Network.

Comment by k — 8:06 am December 8, 2013 #

4. Thanks indeed to Trileigh for sharing. I received one e-mail mentioning orcas and that’s when I tweeted very briefly (that’s the tweet Maggie mentions) – but the e-mail wasn’t from someone I usually hear about orcas from, and we were out in the field anyway, so I didn’t mention on the website, figuring we’d get multiple reports if it was for real – no disrespect to the person who e-mailed us, but we do sometimes get “think I saw an orca” reports that turn out to be a sea lion or porpoise. Anyway, for anybody who sees or thinks they see them, our alert line is the same one we use for ANY type of breaking news – and orca sightings are breaking news! – 206-293-6302, text or voice. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:32 am December 8, 2013 #

5. My bad. I do a search a few times a day for “orcas” and completely missed your tweet. Hope I didn’t sound snarky. Mostly just disappointed to miss them. Heard they are near Kingston ferry now.

Comment by k — 10:17 am December 8, 2013 #

6. Oh no, I missed them too. :( I don’t use Twitter – just the blog and Orca Network/Orca Trail for updates. I would not have minded hearing about the ‘rumor’ of orcas as I live on Alki, and could have driven to the west side to look very easily. (Just my 2 cents.)

Comment by annika — 11:07 am December 8, 2013 #

7. There is nothing more frustrating than missing the orcas, we know! We’re trying to come up with a more reliable and timely way for everyone (including us!) to learn that the whales are near.
    For now, follow WSB and our Facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/TheWhaleTrail.org. We let everyone know as soon as we do where the whales are and which direction they’re heading. Hope to see you all down there the next time they come through -

Comment by Donna, The Whale Trail — 12:58 pm December 8, 2013 #

8. What a great thing to see. Beautiful animals so special to the PNW, what a lucky part of the country we live in.

Comment by Mary — 3:34 pm December 8, 2013 #