West Seattle businesses: Rudy’s Barbershop heads here

September 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 19 Comments

Continuing the trend of founded-elsewhere-in-Seattle mini-chains finding their way to West Seattle, we’ve confirmed that Rudy’s Barbershop is planning a West Seattle location. Since getting asked about that “rumor” this morning, we confirmed with a company spokesperson that – as is noted on this page of the Rudy’s website – a West Seattle shop is on the way. But she said she couldn’t release any other details yet – maybe before month’s end. The “rumor” question mentioned one possible location, so we checked with its owner, who told us he couldn’t discuss forthcoming plans for his space, either. The 10-minute video above (found on their website but coded for embedding anywhere) tells the tale of Rudy’s, founded on Capitol Hill in the early 1990s by three guys – none named Rudy – now with 16 of its funky/quirky walk-in shops in four states, and the 17th to open later this month in Redmond (where a news story cites January 2013 as the WS opening date). More info as we get it!

1. I had heard something about this….

Comment by coffee — 6:53 pm September 4, 2012 #

2. Do you have to have a neck tattoo in order to get a haircut @ Rudy’s?

Comment by Hipster — 7:16 pm September 4, 2012 #

3. YEAH!! My daughter works at the one up by Woodland Park zoo and is going to transfer to West Seattle when it opens – we LOVE going to Rudy’s and hope everyone in West Seattle does too!

Comment by Christie — 7:32 pm September 4, 2012 #

4. I hope my favorite local hair stylist moves there from where she is now. I’ve been hoping for an urban shop that allows adults to use the bathroom even if they DO have hair dye in.

Comment by Irukandji — 7:58 pm September 4, 2012 #

5. Went there when I was going to SCCC for a quarter; it was a great place with an awesome atmosphere and cheap cuts! Loved it so much I have been thinking of busing out there just for another hair cut there!

Comment by Ian — 8:55 pm September 4, 2012 #

6. Do they do flat-tops?

Comment by tetsuo — 9:20 pm September 4, 2012 #

7. Or you can continue to support the barbers that have been here…

Comment by DTK — 9:33 pm September 4, 2012 #

8. Ralph’s Barber Shop under the West Seattle Bridge in back of the Chelan Cafe is just the kind of old-school barber shop Rudy’s tries to emulate. For $14 Ralph gives me a terrific haircut and conversation. His loyal customers are longshoremen, millworkers, and railroad workers from several generations. I believe his dad had the shop before him. Ralph’s is the real deal. The shop has one chair. The walls are covered with a collection of hundreds of vintage caps. When I need to look good I go to Ralph. The sign on the front says BARBER SHOP. Ralph is not a hipster poseur.

Comment by I. Ponder — 11:35 pm September 4, 2012 #

9. Westside Barbershop on California across from W.S.Swedish is the best.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 5:21 am September 5, 2012 #

10. really? a new business comes to West Seattle and you bash them because we already have barbers and hair salons? everyone can find a place they like and regulars will always be regulars if they like a place. besides, won’t all the new young people moving to WS into all these new 1-bedrm apartments need a place to get their hair cut too? you don’t want your favorite place to get too busy, do you?

Comment by sam-c — 6:36 am September 5, 2012 #

11. Great news, now I don’t have to go to Belltown or Bellevue to get a haircut.

Comment by WB — 7:09 am September 5, 2012 #

12. I’ve gotten my hair cut at Rudy’s shops in U-District, Fremont, and Capital Hill, and once I found a barber that I liked, I made sure to come back while she worked.

I’ll put out a shout for Ralph’s under the bridge, and for Richard at Admiral Barbershop. I go to Richard because he’s closer, and I’ve never regretted it – even on my wedding day last October!

Comment by mtnfreak — 8:51 am September 5, 2012 #

13. Wow, people. I didn’t realize that a well-established, Seattle-based business was now considered an interloping “hipster poseur”.

Comment by datamuse — 8:56 am September 5, 2012 #

14. Finally i no longer have to go to the rudys in fremont

Comment by Nick — 11:29 am September 5, 2012 #

15. Please tell me this is going into the old Chuck & Sally’s place! :)

Comment by hopey — 2:39 pm September 5, 2012 #

16. How much does a standard haircut cost at Rudy’s?

Comment by Harry Reems — 4:44 pm September 5, 2012 #

17. 21 bucks for a cut is “cheap?” I’ll stick with Tram’s but I wish them success and hope they find West Seattle welcoming. I never have considered getting a haircut anything more than a quarterly nuisance.

Comment by 2 Much Whine — 5:41 pm September 5, 2012 #

18. Awesome news! Welcome to WS Rudy’s!

Comment by Cheryl — 11:09 pm September 5, 2012 #

19. Excellent. Rudys has a great business model. I get a buzz cut and every one of their folks know how to use clippers. Should be no problem getting a flat top!

Comment by mike — 5:51 pm September 10, 2012 #