West Seattle Trader Joe’s: The construction fence is up

May 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm | In Development, West Seattle news, West Seattle Trader Joe's | 12 Comments

Last Saturday, we reported the first construction permit granted for the long-awaited West Seattle Trader Joe’s at 4545 Fauntleroy Way SW, meaning construction is imminent. And here’s another sign – as of this afternoon, the fence is up. We have a message out to corporate PR to ask if they have any update from the six-month construction schedule listed in the plans we reviewed downtown earlier this year. (ADDED 4:37 PM: A TJ’s spokesperson tells WSB they won’t get any more specific than “4th quarter” for an expected opening date.)

SIDE NOTE: Seems West Seattle Trader Joe’s fans have kindred spirits across the water in Kitsap County. They’re finally getting one, in Silverdale, – and this Kitsap Sun story about its impending opening next month includes the same sort of saga we’ve gone through here over years of rumors/etc.

1. Hurray! I can’t wait till we don’t have to drive to Burien anymore! :-)

Comment by April — 2:32 pm May 24, 2011 #

2. Hooray, I can actually use one in Silverdale too! We spend a lot of time on the peninsula during the summer.

Comment by stb — 3:30 pm May 24, 2011 #

3. Cannot wait!

Comment by Emma Peel — 6:18 pm May 24, 2011 #

4. There was work going on inside as well when I was stopped in front of the building today.

Hey, TJ’s! Any chance you can speed it up to the 3rd quarter?!

Comment by beth — 6:50 pm May 24, 2011 #

5. I hope this TJs is larger than most cuz it’s going to be packed with West Seattelites!

Comment by kate — 11:30 pm May 24, 2011 #

6. It’s about time! I was beginning to think this venture was going the way of Hole Foods/ No Foods.

Comment by DB Coop — 2:15 pm May 25, 2011 #

7. Cool, all we need now is a wal-mart and a nascar track.

Comment by duder — 7:34 pm May 25, 2011 #

8. A welcome addition to the West Side. :-)

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 9:14 pm May 27, 2011 #

9. A Walmart and Nascar race track might very well fit inside the “Hole” Foods pit, now that I think of it.

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 9:16 pm May 27, 2011 #

10. I am so truly happy, excited (knock on wood) but I won’t celebrate until the doors open. I’s kinda like Christmas as a kid….”you actually saw the gift hidden under the bed, it’s what you asked for.” ” And under the tree, it looked the same size, shape, weight…but when opened.” Ya know what I mean?” I’ll be there with bells on when the doors open.

Comment by Corinne — 9:33 am May 28, 2011 #

11. Could someone explain to me how convenient it is to be turning left into the store, off of Fauntleroy, going north, with all of the south-bound traffic, which is usually pretty busy, unless they make a light right there, which I doubt very much. Thanks, Marcia

Comment by Marcia — 10:02 am June 1, 2011 #

12. It was suggested they change their entry plan, at one point in the process. I have not seen the newest version of the plans (which will likely require going downtown and reading the hard-copy file, which includes a massive sheaf of architectural paperwork on sheets the size of a picture window) but hope to do so before too long, for a followup – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:06 am June 1, 2011 #