West Seattle Crime Watch: Vandals hit cars behind senior housing

December 12, 2010 at 3:13 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 20 Comments

A vandalism spree smashing out car windows is bad enough. For it to be done on an intensely rainy night, even worse. But to top this off – the vandal(s) struck cars in the parking area of a low-income senior-housing complex. Our photos show three of about half a dozen cars reported to have been vandalized behind Island View Apartments in the 3000 block of California, part of the city’s Senior Housing Program. We went over after getting a phone call; later, we received a note from Paul, who said they think rocks were used, as big ones found nearby are not the type usually found in the area. He added, “I am a caregiver for a tenant in this building and our car was not hit, but I tried my best to cover all the cars with plastic to keep the rain out.”

1. Amoral punks.

Comment by Jeff — 3:16 pm December 12, 2010 #

2. Wow. Horrible! :-(

Comment by dameDonna — 3:28 pm December 12, 2010 #

3. How low can they sink?

Comment by Traveler — 3:30 pm December 12, 2010 #

4. There is a special place in he11 for people like this.

Comment by kc — 3:49 pm December 12, 2010 #

5. Couldn’t it be some deep political statement about how hard it is to get seniors (who need to be) off the road? An attempt to keep them safely at home? Not saying it’s a good action for the problem, but maybe a somewhat logical ‘why’ behind it?

Comment by Kristin — 3:50 pm December 12, 2010 #

6. Hi this is Paul, Definitley the rocks were used as most of them were inside the cars. P.S Kristin the same could be said for drivers under 21, drivers on cell phones,Drunks, Road ragers,etc

Comment by Paul — 4:13 pm December 12, 2010 #

7. Kristin – I can say with about 99.9 percent certainty that this was thuggery and not a political statment.

Comment by Jeff — 4:20 pm December 12, 2010 #

8. People who do this aren’t usually deep thinkers.

Comment by k — 4:22 pm December 12, 2010 #

9. How about 100% chance it’s not a political statement… Three or four cars on our street also had windows smashed, probably last night, by fairly large rocks. On 44th, just a bit north of Hinds, three cars on the west side and I think a fourth on the east. I wonder if it happened anywhere else?

My husband saw one of the women from the senior housing crying, while the police were examining cars with smashed windows. Very sad.

Comment by l — 4:52 pm December 12, 2010 #

10. Kristin you’ll be “old” sometime too … maybe more seniors would be off the road if our “great” city had better bus service! I live 8 blocks from the closest bus stop … oh, plus 52 years of age is considered a senior for much housing, so all seniors aren’t in their 90′s!

Comment by CitizenR — 5:49 pm December 12, 2010 #

11. That alley gets quite a bit of tagging on the fences and garage doors. Probably a group of thugs.

Comment by Gina — 5:55 pm December 12, 2010 #

12. My mom lived there for 8 yrs before she died. It was a wonderful community of low-income seniors and disabled. This will be a hardship for these folks at this holiday time. Political statement? That’s a long streach for an excuse for bad behavior. Bad behavior is just that, bad behavior.

Comment by bebecat — 8:08 pm December 12, 2010 #

13. Our car was hit last night too. A rock the size of a softball was found inside our car. Glass covers everything, including our two child car seats. So frustrating. Ruined the end of our weekend as we were planning on heading down to Portland to see a sick friend. Not too mention the financial damage. Great.

Comment by Claudia — 9:31 pm December 12, 2010 #

14. Please don’t feed the troll.
    How sad. I hope the worthless vandals get what’s coming to them. I’m tired of have things stolen and vandalized as well.

Comment by Lucky chick — 9:44 pm December 12, 2010 #

15. Wow, this sounds like a larger neighborhood event as so many cars got hit in Admiral – has there been some police statement?

Comment by Bluesmom — 10:17 pm December 12, 2010 #

16. Claudia, was your parked around one of the two sites identified on this thread (alley behind the senior housing; or due north of Hinds mainly on the westside of 44th?)? Or was this even broader I wonder? Really scary. I sure hope those who did this are caught. So sorry to hear about your car, and everyone else’s.

Comment by l — 11:16 pm December 12, 2010 #

17. Is there any way to help the Seniors? How about a neighborhood fundraiser?

Comment by homesweethome — 5:31 am December 13, 2010 #

18. I don’t know if this is related, but my tire was stuck with a knife as I was shopping in Thriftway on California that same evening. Very annoying and costly at this time of year.

Comment by Jennifer H. — 6:26 am December 13, 2010 #

19. I – yes, near Hinds. The mold smell is setting in as we’re having a heck of a time trying to dry everything out. I can’t imagine the seniors having to deal with all of this. It’s been unbelievably disruptive. Thanks for everyone’s kind words.

Comment by Claudia — 9:34 pm December 16, 2010 #

20. thats messed up i dont even do stuff like that thats just plain out hateful somebody must be very unhappy with there life and want to share their pain because misery loves company

Comment by Ronald E. Thompson — 1:35 pm December 19, 2010 #