Grand opening for Big Al Brewing in White Center

August 7, 2008 at 5:03 pm | In White Center | 11 Comments

bigal.jpg

The WSB Forums have been abuzz about it for a month so we couldn’t help but drop by to check it out – Big Al Brewing opened this afternoon in White Center (9832 14th SW, former home of Pacific Rim Brewing). The photo above is “Big Al” himself, Alejandro Brown (who has been among those participating in the WSB Forums thread); here’s the building in case you get lost:

bigalbuilding.jpg

One thing to note – Big Al Brewing is all about beer. No food, just brew. Also on tap tonight as the grand opening continues – live music.

1. Opening night was a huge success. The beer tastes amazing. Alejandro & Noelle are the ultimate host & hostess. We had a ball. Go Big Al’s!

Comment by Anne & Mark Glasson — 10:42 pm August 7, 2008 #

2. What happened to Pacific Rim? They were great when they started but switched owners a few times and went downhill.

Hope Big Al makes great brews and sells growlers as he’ll then get patronage from us. We are big Georgetown fans as well.

Comment by ZS — 10:54 pm August 7, 2008 #

3. ZS- yes, they have growlers…and the beer is good. I hope they do a pepper ale to make up for the loss of the “Ring of Fire” Pacific Rim had… :)

Comment by JenV — 7:07 am August 8, 2008 #

4. I tried the Abbey Wheat and it did not disappoint! It’s great to have the brewery open finally. Best wishes on the biz!

Comment by Russ — 9:24 am August 8, 2008 #

5. Both beers they had on tap were very well done but their flagship Abbey Wheat was especially interesting. I’m looking forward to trying more from these guys. Good luck Big Al and crew.

Comment by Brandon — 11:45 am August 8, 2008 #

6. Sounds like a winner! But how do they NOT have to sell food per liquor license guidelines? Maybe here because it’s technically a brewery? I’ve wondered the same about BPP, which I don’t think brews on site, so just curious if anyone knows. It won’t stop me from trying a great local brew, but I do like to have some food when I drink…

Comment by GenHillOne — 12:17 pm August 8, 2008 #

7. I went and checked it out last night. The place looks really good. It’s amazing what a little TLC will do to a place. Only had two beers on tap but they’re just starting out. I especially liked the Abbey Wheat, it was very tasty. The live music was another plus. What a great reason to visit White Ctr.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

Comment by Ryan — 3:01 pm August 8, 2008 #

8. Went to check it out last night…!!! Happy to have another brewery in White Center. The beer was very good. Tried both that they had on tap.

Comment by Darren — 7:53 am August 9, 2008 #

9. OK, I’ll head there sometime to try a growler — but what are the prices? Personally, I stopped going to Pacific Rim when they raised growler prices to the point I just was fine going to the main store. If they keep prices competitive — and low — I’ll support them.

Comment by Big Al (No, Not THAT One) — 5:04 pm August 9, 2008 #

10. I dropped in for a pint and filled up two growlers, one with the Abbey Wheat, and the other is a —- Red. Both were quite tasty. Pints are $3.75 and I forget the growler price sorry…

They are definately not finished decorating, but I was happy to have them open with taps flowing. Big Al says a Brown Ale is next in Sept, followed by an IPA shortly thereafter. Bring it on I say!

rp

Comment by Rick P. — 5:40 pm August 9, 2008 #

11. GenHillOne: establishments that serve beer/wine are not required to have food. If a place has spirits, they must serve at least five entrees. Remember, you can always order out at BPP while enjoying one of Big Al’s beers this Thursday!

Comment by BPP — 11:21 am August 12, 2008 #