Fauntleroy resident Brian Bershad was one of 31 people who gave Washington State Ferries an earful last night during the final stop on WSF’s tour to gather public comment before taking its Draft Long-Range Plan to state legislators.
As we have been reporting over the past few months, the Fauntleroy Community Association has led the charge of concern over WSF’s decision to dump the concept of running Southworth ferries to downtown, which was previously under consideration since so much of the drive-off traffic arriving at Fauntleroy is headed that way anyway. Total turnout for tonight was about 125, and half of the 31 speakers asked WSF to reopen the idea of having a Southworth/(Downtown) Seattle run. Without it, the ferry system is now looking at expanding the dock and adding overhead passenger walkways. Fauntleroy Creek volunteer overseer Judy Pickens said dock expansion could harm the creek’s fragile salmon runs; pollution was one of the concerns voiced by others, along with potential Cove Park encroachment, view loss, noise, increased traffic, and transit-coordination challenges. Also expressing concern : A city representative, SDOT’s Ann Sutphin:
WSF reps had one notable announcement before night’s end: They’ve extended the time for public comments on the draft long-range plan by a few extra days; instead of ending tomorrow, it’ll end Monday. Read the full plan here; it contains two basic options – Plan A is similar to the current level of service; Plan B would include cuts, such as reducing Fauntleroy-Vashon-Southworth to two boats. Both would be sailing in a sea of red; WSF says A has a $3.5 billion shortfall over the next couple decades, while B is just under half that. To e-mail your comments: email@example.com
| 8 COMMENTS