West Seattle biznotes: Vidiot soft-opens in Admiral; Edie’s closing Junction store; Beni Hoshi mystery; Ventana obliges Hawks fans

January 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 16 Comments

Four West Seattle biznotes tonight:

VIDIOT OPENS IN EX-SHIPWRECK TAVERN: You might call it a “barcade” – you can play AND sip at Vidiot, which is in a soft-opening phase at 4210 SW Admiral Way, vacant since the Shipwreck Tavern closed more than a year ago. A new-liquor-license flyer had been up in the window for a ew weeks; then Friday, Vidiot soft-opened, according to co-proprietor Tony Mitchum, with whom we spoke tonight. Its centerpiece: Games, some there now, more to come. On the main floor, you’ll find older arcade games such as Pac-Man and Defender (photo above); pinball machines are coming in later this week; the upstairs loft will have classic Atari and Nintendo consoles, as well as board games. Vidiot is open 5 pm-2 am nightly, cash only for starters.

EDIE’S SHOES CLOSING IN JUNCTION, CONTINUING ON CAPITOL HILL: In the window at Edie’s Shoes in The Junction is a hand-lettered sign reading “END-OF-LEASE SALE.” When that sale is over – no firm date yet – proprietor Erin says, she will close the 4310 SW Alaska shop after nine years, and focus entirely on her Capitol Hill location.

BENI HOSHI TERIYAKI OUT OF BUSINESS? After WSB Forums member BubbleGumMom posted that question earlier tonight, we went over for a look.

Indeed, as BGM posted, the signs are gone (or turned over), except for the sign-board slogan; the phone number is disconnected. Nothing in public records offers a hint about why – but we do recall this story from two years ago. At the time, now-former City Councilmember Richard Conlin wrote that the city was studying the possibility of public/private development on the site, a former substation (NOT one of the ones on the current “surplus” list). So City Light is one source with whom we’ll follow up tomorrow to try to find out what happened and/or what’s next.

VENTANA CHANGES WORKSHOP DATE – THANKS TO SEAHAWKS! WSB sponsor Ventana Construction has changed the date for its next free remodeling/custom-building workshop, by fan demand – Seahawks fans! The workshop WAS planned for next Saturday, but then the Seahawks’ playoff game was scheduled, so now the workshop is set for the next day, 2 pm Sunday, January 12th, at Ventana’s offices (California/Findlay). RSVP if you’re interested – 206-932-3009.

1. Also wondering about the Fish House on 35th across from the southwest branch of the library. They haven’t appeared to be open for about three weeks.

Comment by HC — 10:08 pm January 6, 2014 #

2. Per an e-mail exchange I had with a fan of the restaurant, they were on vacation and scheduled to reopen this week. I would be skeptical of the Beni Hoshi situation if not for the fact ALL signs on ALL sides of the building were turned over or removed, plus the landline phone had an “out of service” recording.

Comment by WSB — 10:13 pm January 6, 2014 #

3. HC- the Fish House on 35th SW will be open starting tomorrow again, according to their sign. Think they were closed for vacation. Can’t wait!

Comment by dawne — 10:16 pm January 6, 2014 #

4. Whoa, had no idea that a “barcade” was on its way to west Seattle… I am A-Ok with this turn of events! Welcome to the ‘hood, Vidiot!

Comment by Mr. Matt — 10:25 pm January 6, 2014 #

5. Barcade??!!! Awesome!! Now I have something to lure my friends over here with since AFK Tavern in Everett and Dorky’s in Tacoma take waaaaaay too much planning to execute with my friends that are like herding cats sometimes.

Comment by Trickycoolj — 10:55 pm January 6, 2014 #

6. lol…Dorky’s…great name :D

Comment by JanS — 11:02 pm January 6, 2014 #

7. Nooooooo!!!! I was just at Beni Hosi’s. I LOVED that place extending back to when it was Yasukos. They were always so friendly in there and had the best Teriyaki in West Seattle.. I’m so sad. I wish I had known they were closing. Would have liked to have told them good bye. Sad to see them go. :(

Comment by ~Hockeywitch~ — 8:02 am January 7, 2014 #

8. Yes, Beni Hoshi’s served up some quality food. The BEST teriyaki on the West side, bar none. The exterior was never very inviting, but that tasty teriyaki more than made up for it. Thought I knew the owners quite well. Very surprised they hadn’t mentioned they would not be open again after the first of the year. And it does seem permanent. The interior of the place has pretty well been cleaned out.

Comment by Greg — 8:53 am January 7, 2014 #

9. worse teriyaki in town

Comment by w.s. maverick — 9:26 am January 7, 2014 #

10. Beni Hoshi’s closing is very serious to me. I will wear a block arm band. The teriyaki in that place was totally addicting. Do you recall long before it was Yasuko’s it was a pinball/video arcade? That was in the 80′s when there were video arcades all over the place.

Comment by WestSide45 — 10:10 am January 7, 2014 #

11. Vidiots??? This place is speaking my language.

Comment by Vidiot — 11:20 am January 7, 2014 #

12. A barcade? I might get up that way more than once in a blue moon, now…
    If you’re mourning Beni Hoshi, come on down to Wanna at 16th and Holden (formerly Zippy’s, then Athena’s). It is delish. Best egg rolls I’ve had in West Seattle, too (not that that’s saying a whole lot–but they really are good).

Comment by datamuse — 2:50 pm January 7, 2014 #

13. Amen-ws maverick.
    I hope this doesn’t mean Nikko’s will get so slammed, I’ll never get my food again at a reasonable time frame.

Comment by Alki resident — 7:47 pm January 7, 2014 #

14. Where will I get my “teriya” from now?

Comment by Jehu — 9:23 pm January 7, 2014 #

15. Check out The 8-Bit Arcade in down town Renton!

Comment by Stephen Rojers — 11:07 pm January 12, 2014 #

16. So sorry to see them gone! Have been going to them for years, finally learned their names and met more of their family, wish I had been able to say “good-bye” and “thank you” for all the good food, smiles, and times of talking with them.
    I wish them well in whatever they are now doing. And hope they didn’t have an illness that caused them to give up their cute little restaurant.

Comment by Eilene Hutchinson — 12:32 pm January 18, 2014 #