Alki dancer’s ‘Nutcracker’ takeoff: ‘Ballerinas need respect’

December 24, 2013 at 10:16 pm | In West Seattle news, WS culture/arts | 7 Comments

NUTSKRACKER from Perinspire on Vimeo.

No, ballerinas are NOT all sweetness and light. Alki resident Simone Bruyère Fraser, who danced professionally for 10 years back east, wanted to have some fun and show ballet dancers’ tough side – so she and friend Esy Casey made that video, with composer Carl Clark, and invited us to share it here for the lighter side of Christmas. (Full credits are on the video.) Simone says she and Esy, the video’s director (at left with her in the photo at right), shot it at Salty’s on Alki (WSB sponsor) – perfect place, considering they are the home of life-size Nutcrackers. And yes, she has danced in “The Nutcracker” – “almost every role in 10 years … from lamb, to mouse, to snow queen!” These days, she also does commercial, TV, film, and print work as well as dance, but says her “true commitment is trying to do some good in this world and help people to ‘respect the dance’,” adding, “Ballerinas need respect!”

1. FANTASTIC video! Makes me want to rush out and buy a couple of tickets!

Comment by Kevin — 11:39 pm December 24, 2013 #

2. Absolutely loved this. Dancers are amazing athletes.

Comment by me on 28th Ave SW — 8:18 am December 25, 2013 #

3. Great job. Enjoyed and passed it on.

Comment by mj — 9:33 am December 25, 2013 #

4. Awesome! Love this!

Comment by Laura — 10:10 am December 25, 2013 #

5. Good job on the video. I bet your dance warm up would kill me let alone the actual dance.

Comment by WSEA — 7:26 am December 26, 2013 #

6. lol. I didn’t realize it was going to be an angry rap video. I thought it was going to feature some of the dance work/ warm ups.

“I get cardio and bi-lingual all in one day.” – liked that line.

Comment by sam-c — 10:00 am December 27, 2013 #

7. Seattle … Alki … and dancer / actress … terrific, but I need an update one day soon. Awed by the video … all the more reason to reconnect. Have a great 2014 and hope our paths cross … TomL

Comment by Tom Longin — 3:15 pm January 1, 2014 #