TRAFFIC/TRANSIT TODAY: Finally Friday

June 28, 2013 at 6:03 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle traffic alerts | 11 Comments

(Live view from the east-facing WS Bridge camera; other cameras are on the WSB Traffic page)
6:03 AM: Happy Friday! As always, we’re keeping watch on the commute – with your help; let us know if you see problems that others should know about. (But don’t call or text 206-293-6302 unless you’re a passenger, or until you get to where you’re going.) Thanks!

8:52 AM UPDATE: Just got some information about a mishap involving a bicyclist east of the low bridge less than an hour ago. Seattle Fire spokesperson Kyle Moore says the rider took a spill after hitting a curb, suffered scrapes and a possible shoulder injury, and was taken to a hospital by private ambulance. Police and fire had all cleared the scene by the time we got there, so there is no traffic effect for bicycles, cars, or anyone else right now.

10:52 AM UPDATE: There’s a crash on the eastbound bridge. Details to come.

11:16 AM UPDATE: The last remnants of the crash cleared as soon as we reached the scene (we had to head out on an off-peninsula errand anyway). So all lanes are back open and the backup should clear before long.

2:50 PM UPDATE: We’ve published a separate mention of this, but the bridge is backed up eastbound now because of a northbound 99 problem at the ramp up to the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Avoid.

1. I really appreciate that you cover the traffic. You’re my one stop shop for the topic. Keep up the good work!

Comment by KatieL — 6:54 am June 28, 2013 #

2. Hey – What does it say on the electronic sign on Fauntleroy? I can see it from my place, but I can’t read it! I want binoculars. :-) It doesn’t say the usual times, though, I can tell that much!

Comment by Jamie — 7:42 am June 28, 2013 #

3. Noticed today that people crammed themselves on the C line at Junction twhen a half empty 55 was sitting right behind it. And they go essentially the same place downtown.

Comment by Chris W — 8:11 am June 28, 2013 #

4. I’m interested to see what the Medic Response, 6 per Rule SFD call is about on Harbor Island. I hope it’s not a biker down (or anyone else hurt).

Comment by ScottA — 8:17 am June 28, 2013 #

5. We’re heading that way.

Comment by WSB — 8:23 am June 28, 2013 #

6. We drove past a biker sitting on the ground near the intersection just east of the low bridge. Several bikers were there assisting. Maybe this was the medic response call?

Comment by MrsL — 8:48 am June 28, 2013 #

7. Bicyclist took a spill but not seriously hurt and scene cleared even before we got there. Adding to the story above.

Comment by WSB — 8:52 am June 28, 2013 #

8. I can’t find a high enough mountain top (Rainier?) to scream this message… Cyclists headed east coming off of the low bridge should ALWAYs wrap back under the bridge instead of continuing straight and mixing it up with traffic at that intersection! What’s up with this? I had assumed (incorrectly) that this was a bike/motor vehicle incident, but the bike path is always a better option. Can I get an amen?

Comment by Mark — 10:04 am June 28, 2013 #

9. No Mark, you can’t. It’s perfectly legal to ride a bicycle in the road as well as take the lane.

Comment by Fish — 10:47 am June 28, 2013 #

10. Here we go again…

Comment by Wendell — 11:07 am June 28, 2013 #

11. Actually we had to head eastbound anyway and the MOMENT we got to the crash scene – it completely cleared. So the backup should be clear before too long.

Comment by WSB — 11:16 am June 28, 2013 #