4-way stops and pedestrians

Home Forums West Seattle Rants & Raves 4-way stops and pedestrians

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dawsonct
    Participant

West Seattle, I sure do appreciate the polite nature of your denizens, but let’s go over the rules of a 4-way stop real quickly.

—-

Scenario: You have pulled up to the stop sign and are waiting while the vehicles to the left and right come to a complete stop. Then you notice me. I am the guy on the sidewalk about 15-20 feet from the curb and still walking towards the intersection. You DO NOT HAVE TO CONTINUE TO SIT AT THE INTERSECTION AND WAIT FOR ME TO WALK UP TO IT SO YOU CAN WAVE ME ACROSS. Go ahead and proceed though the intersection so the cars on your R. & L. can also proceed. I promise I won’t run up the street and jump in front of your car.

Also, if you ARE just sitting there at the stop, waiting for me to approach the intersection, and I wave you through and make it obvious I am not going to suddenly run out in front of you, smile and wave back or ignore me, either is preferable to you flipping me off for suggesting you follow the traffic rules and drive.

Thank you.

JanS
    Participant

But….but…dawson, you made him wait…how dare you !

smokeycretin9
    Participant

where is the “Like” button for this post.

Also, on the other hand, as a pedestrian, please walk up to the edge of the sidewalk to signal to the cars that you are in fact wanting to cross the street. If you stand 10 feet back from the street yelling at cars who dont stop for you, you in fact look like a crazy person. :)

dawsonct
    Participant

I can be rude that way.

Franci
    Participant

Another, on the other hand, :) If you have NO intention of crossing the street, please do not stand at the edge of the crosswalk looking at the traffic. Then wave the car to proceed as it stops.

JanS
    Participant

Franci, I agree…that has happened to me quite a few times. I have started to point at these people, make eye contact, and motion for them to go. I give them 10 seconds, then continue on my way.

WorldCitizen
    Participant

Can I say the obvious here? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop texting/reading your phone/reading your book/staring off into la la land as you take your sweet time walking across the intersection. I know you have the right of way. I also know that just because you have the right of way, doesn’t mean that someone driving two tons of steel and glass is paying the best attention. You’ll lose that battle every time and it may be well avoided if you just either a) payed attention to what you’re doing or b) didn’t behave like an entitled child. Get out of the damn road, you’re gonna get yourself or someone else killed!

(This is not pointed at the people with limited mobility, some of which don’t look obvious. I’m talking about everyone else…you know who you are.)

Genesee Hill
    Participant

I was born and raised in Watford City, North Dakota. My family migrated to West Seattle in the winter of 1950. Oh, what a brutal winter.

Unless you want to get run over by a combine you get the heck out of the way. Uff da, already.

JanS
    Participant

two different things today…..8am going down Admiral Way and eastbound on the bridge. Person in the car behind me steering with her left hand while leaning on the door with her right elbow, holding her cell phone to her ear, chatting away, all the way across the bridge. Bridge traffic can be a bit hairy at that time of day..starting, stopping, merging, etc. Second thing…driving east on Boren headed to 12th (approaching Yesler), woman on the right of me (pedestrian)on sidewalk walking with her nose buried in a big book. While I’m all for bettering oneself by reading various things, sometimes one needs to choose the place one reads very carefully. She was completely oblivious to her surroundings, it seemed.

We all slip, and do things we shouldn’t periodically, no one is perfect. These were just two examples today in about a 3 hour time.

Genesee Hill
    Participant

Franci,

In Watford City, pedestrians were allowed to stand on any part of the sidewalk, and look any way they chose to look.

Is that taboo in West Seattle? Is there a one foot rule about standing too close to a crosswalk? If you don’t plan to cross the dang road?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.