REAL ESTATE: The listing that answers a long-running Alki question

(King County Assessor’s Office photo)

The building at 2716-2718 Alki SW – formerly home to Phoenecia (closed in December 2018, reopened in The Junction) and Alki Cleaners (closed July 2018) – is for sale, listed at $1,220,000. The site, zoned NC1-40, is touted in the offering memo as having the potential for “Multiple Development Opportunities, Rehab for mixed use, Townhome, ‘A-pod-ments’, Etc” The storefronts have been vacant since the end of 2018, windows papered over, no hint of the building’s future until now.

14 Replies to "REAL ESTATE: The listing that answers a long-running Alki question"

• Onion February 19, 2020 (8:41 pm)

The location deserves better. I hope it includes another quality ground floor restaurant.

• Yma February 19, 2020 (8:58 pm)

Please, please, please not “a-pod-ments “

• roddy February 19, 2020 (9:43 pm)

Already pending…not surprised. Good deal for this property.

• Mj February 19, 2020 (10:26 pm)

I believe parking is required at a one to one ratio in this area, Apodments probably would not pencil out at this location.  They typically locate in areas with better transit and commercial services.

• woolseyp February 20, 2020 (8:29 am)

I’m fine with apartments and retail/restaurants on the bottom floor, but hopefully it’ll look like something that belongs on Alki and not the ugly blocky crap going up in Ballard.

• David February 20, 2020 (10:49 am)

I’m hoping for something nice.   But let’s be honest.  Look at that picture.  Really.  This is an ugly awful building.   This is not some beautiful Victorian, a mid-century marvel, a historic log cabin, or a breezy glass open patio’d beach front resort looking building.  This is a hideous boring beige 2 story block.   There’s nothing interesting about it.  You may have LOVED the businesses that were there, loved Phoenecia and its owners and/or staff.  That’s fine. But I will NOT be sorry to see this dull ugly building be torn down.  Almost anything would be an improvement.

• Diane February 20, 2020 (11:51 am)

Amen!  Ugly building – build something new and beautiful.  Such potential with that location!

• MP February 20, 2020 (2:11 pm)

Yes! Agreed!

• My two cents ... February 20, 2020 (1:49 pm)

Just waiting for the inevitable response; kids/no kids allowed, gluten free, vegan, alcohol/no alcohol, pizza, parking, NIMBY, there goes the neighborhood.

• Alkiii February 20, 2020 (3:42 pm)

I talked with the guy that rented the upstairs apartment-before he and his wife were kicked out.  The building had been on the market for a quite awhile. Months before the sign went up. More than one apartment owner has looked at it. The size didn’t pencil out for them. He’d also heard rumers of chemical cleanup being needed. That would add to the cost.  Will be interresting to see how long it’s on the market, and what goes in.

• WSB February 20, 2020 (3:51 pm)

The Commercial MLS describes it as a “new” listing, which is why we wrote about it. I look at the listings multiple times a week and yesterday was the first time it turned up there. As for the possible contamination, that’s all addressed in documents with the listing.

• WSB February 20, 2020 (6:19 pm)

Having just made our daily spin through Alki, I think I saw what sign you’re referring to …huge new AVAILABLE sign in the ex-Phoenecia window.

• Kram February 20, 2020 (8:31 pm)

I wouldn’t stress about this one. Being limited to 40 feet and not being in frequent transit plus MHA will nearly guarantee nothing new gets built. The construction costs will be more than the post construction value of the building. More likely someone buys it and does a ‘fluff and buff’ then sits on it for awhile till zoning/codes change. Someone save this comment; if a building gets built to completion here I will buy you a very nice dinner on me.

• Brian February 21, 2020 (12:25 am)

In that case Kram, I’ll cross my fingers for a steak house! :)