As A la Mode Pies proprietor Chris Porter puts it, this is a big day/night for him and his growing company. Above, the window wrap is going up right now at their future West Seattle Junction expansion location on SW Alaska just east of California SW, on the ground floor of Junction 47; in honor of that, he’s inviting you to suggest WS-centric names for the “boozy milkshakes” they’ll be offering. (With Husky Deli ice cream!) You might recall hearing about the milkshakes, pies, and more when we first reported last month on Porter’s plan for A la Mode Pies to expand here.
As part of the introduction to this community (which will be its second shop, after Phinney), A la Mode Pies also will be at the sold-out Taste of West Seattle food-and-drink fundraiser tonight in Fauntleroy, benefiting the WS Helpline. Porter himself will be at another event – the Puget Sound Business Journal “Business of Pride” event, at which he says A la Mode Pies will be recognized as one of the 25 largest LGBTQ-owned businesses in the region.
Now – your help needed! Porter is inviting WSB readers to suggest names for the five “boozy milkshakes” that West Seattle A la Mode Pies will offer.
Here’s the criteria:
· Hyper Local – Submissions might be influenced by a West Seattle neighborhood, a popular West Seattle destination, tourist attraction, or local saying. The name could also include something West Seattleites take pride in – like the largest employer, historical reference, or pillar of the community.
· The more whimsical, irreverent, and catchy the better.
· Relates to the ingredients in the shake (see descriptions below). Does the proposed name provide a hint as to what the boozy milkshake might taste like?
· Short-and-Sweet. Ideally, each submission will be no more than 2-3 words, as it needs to fit on a menu.
Here’s a description of each proposed boozy milkshake:
1. Cinnamon Apple – Vanilla Ice Cream, Cinnamon Whiskey, Hard Cider – served with cinnamon & sugar pie fries
2. Grasshopper – Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Vodka, Crème de Menthe – drizzled with chocolate ganache
3. Banana – Salted Caramel Ice Cream, Coffee Liquor, Rum, Fresh Bananas – drizzled with homemade caramel
4. Key Lime – Vanilla Ice Cream, Key Lime Juice, Tequila, Triple Sec – served with crushed graham crackers
5. Blue Hawaiian – Coconut Ice Cream, Fresh Blueberries, Malibu Rum, Crushed Pineapple – topped with toasted coconut
Got one suggestion – or five – or more? Please post in the comment section (if you’re reading this from the home page, either click the headline and scroll down, or click the word comment/s under the headline). Decisions will be made within a week or two. Meantime, Porter hopes to have A la Mode Pies open in The Junction in September.