Update: Extension cord blamed for Fauntleroy shed fire

8:18 AM: More Seattle Fire units are on their way to the 8600 block of Fauntleroy right now. This started as a call about a “shed fire” and moments ago, crews on the scene called for a “full response” because it’s apparently spread to the house, as well as to a neighbor’s shed. We’ll be on scene shortly. The traffic camera above shows the emergency vehicles, just south of the south Lincoln Park parking lot.

8:33 AM UPDATE: On scene – northbound Fauntleroy Way traffic is blocked, as the “live” traffic-cam image above shows, but some southbound traffic (toward the ferry dock) is getting through. Police are there to help direct traffic. We haven’t seen damage to the house in front of the shed (seconds after we added this, the incident commander confirmed this), but the shed itself is significantly burned.

No report of injuries; investigators are on the way to figure out how it started.

8:51 AM: Traffic moving again. We’ve removed the traffic-cam image since the blockage is gone. We’ll update this later when there’s information about how the fire started; for now, we’ve added a photo from the scene (by WSB’s Patrick Sand), as well as a photo (courtesy Amy) showing the smoke, which was widely visible for a while (we even got one sighting report from Vashon, across the Sound).

9:29 AM: Added new photo atop this story – taken by Kristi while the shed was engulfed in flames.

10:59 AM: SFD spokesperson Kyle Moore has information on the fire’s cause and damage:

The renter of the property was not home when the fire began. A Seattle Fire Investigator determined this was an accidental fire that began from an extension cord that ran from the house to the detached shed. Several extension cords were strung together to power a portable heater inside the shed.

An SFD Investigators estimates $17,000 in total damage. The breakdown of the damage estimate is $8,000 to the shed, $5,000 to the contents of the shed and $4,000 to the exterior of the garage.

1 Reply to "Update: Extension cord blamed for Fauntleroy shed fire"

  • Kailin December 16, 2011 (12:53 pm)

    I was at the ferry dock heading to vashon when I looked out the window and saw the big flames and the smoke a friend said they saw it all the way from their house on Vashon!

Sorry, comment time is over.