Admiral Congregational United Church of Christ has a long history. Founded in 1899 as West Side Congregational Church, when the original church was dedicated in 1901, on the site of what is now the Admiral Church parking lot, it was the first church building in West Seattle. The current building was completed in 1961 and eventually renamed Admiral Church.
A pipe organ for the new sanctuary was commissioned in 1961 from Balcom and Vaughan organ builders. The pipes came from Holland, the blowers from Switzerland. It has 21 ranks consisting of 1,111 pipes. The purchase price was $12,000. The organ is currently valued at $400,000.
The 52-year-old organ has been loved and appreciated by generations of Admiralites. It is now in urgent need of renovation and repair. Admiral Church began “The Year of the Organ” in April of this year, with the goal of raising the needed $50,000 by April, 2015. Over $30,000 has been given and pledged so far.
On Saturday, October 25 at 3 pm, as part of “The Year of the Organ”, Admiral Church is hosting a benefit concert. Among the talented Seattle celebrities who will be supporting Admiral with their performances at this concert are jazz piano legend Overton Berry, gospel matriarch Grace Holden, and Admiral’s own fabulous organist, Keith Terhune. After the concert there will be a champagne reception and a chance to donate to the organ restoration fund.
West Seattle, Washington