West Seattle traffic alert: Crash closes Admiral Way

November 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm | In West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 26 Comments

(WSB photo added 8:37 pm)
7:26 PM: Seattle Police say (via scanner) they’re closing Admiral Way between 47th and 49th after a vehicle hit a pole. No word of serious injuries, but “the pole is ready to come down,” one officer warned. More to come.

7:53 PM: Seattle City Light is on scene. The impact actually detached the pole at its base; no word how long the road will be closed. The driver apparently was not seriously hurt, but was being questioned by police.

11:29 PM: Still closed, per commenters.

1. I just saw it on my way back from downtown. Full firetruck and multiple police car response. The pole does definitely look like it could easily fall over. Crazy stuff! This is the 2nd accident on Admiral Hill within a week sheesh! Roads are dry, visibility is fine, what is going on?

Comment by J242 — 7:44 pm November 11, 2013 #

2. Wow, I drove through just but an hour ago. Whew!

Comment by L Bui — 7:50 pm November 11, 2013 #

3. Any one else see the structure fire this afternoon?

Comment by Andrew — 7:58 pm November 11, 2013 #

4. none in WS today…

Comment by WSB — 8:10 pm November 11, 2013 #

5. Well J242, its not well documented but Admiral hill is actually inhabited with gnomes in the surrounding woods. They like to play practical jokes on us humans causing distractions thus so many accidents. I know what you are thinking… how could the countries best drivers be so easily distracted? Well the answer isn’t an easy one. I have spent countless hours researching this. I think the real solution to this serous problem is to cut down all the trees and burn them out with a great fire using napalm. Then lower the speed limit to 5 MPH that way the countries best drivers will be able to navigate one of the the biggest problems in this city.

Actually now that I think of it the real problem is the hills, I think they are conspiring as well. We should outlaw hills and bulldoze them all to save our precious cars from another possible accident.

People need to stop texting, talking, downloading, or whatever on their phones and I think the frequency of these issues will dramatically be reduced.

Comment by Tom — 8:34 pm November 11, 2013 #

6. That area, especially the uphill, east side is prone to random accidents. I don’t if this is on that side, but there is some reason there is no bus shelter on the uphill side.

Comment by JayDee — 8:38 pm November 11, 2013 #

7. I agree with Tom. I’ve been seeing way too many people talking on their cell phones while driving lately. And I’m hoping sarcasm was present when referring to “the country’s best drivers”.

Comment by Dylan — 8:42 pm November 11, 2013 #

8. Spoke with an officer at the scene; the driver was speeding uphill (east on Admiral Way) and alcohol was involved.

David Whiting
    Admiral Neighborhood Association

Comment by David Whiting — 8:46 pm November 11, 2013 #

9. It was indicated to us that the driver was under suspicion of being impaired but we’re still seeking formal confirmation of the arrest. P.S. I’m monitoring the scanner in hopes of hearing when they reopen the road but it could be a quick call or rolled over by another channel, so if anyone sees the road open again, please comment or otherwise let us know. If we don’t hear anything for another hour or so we’ll drive over to check,

Comment by WSB — 9:00 pm November 11, 2013 #

10. Saw the aftermath of a similiar accident where the pole was knocked down. This was 4:30 am on Sunday morning near entrance of 509 near Morgan…. Any word on that?

Comment by Tim — 9:13 pm November 11, 2013 #

11. Glad the pole stopped him before he killed someone in the crosswalk.

Comment by CJ — 9:17 pm November 11, 2013 #

12. Where does 509 meet Morgan? Didn’t hear about anything like that – and there’s nothing on the 911 log (which would only cover the city limits):

Comment by WSB — 9:37 pm November 11, 2013 #

13. Yeah they took the young guy in handcuffs. Still watching it out my window, still closed. That corner coming to/from Alki plus speed &
    alcohol is dangerous!

Comment by DN — 10:24 pm November 11, 2013 #

14. Road still blocked as of 10:30PM

Comment by Mike — 10:44 pm November 11, 2013 #

15. Thank you, Mike and DN, I am still about 20 minutes away from being able to break loose from the desk and go look so was hoping I hadn’t missed it.

Comment by WSB — 10:54 pm November 11, 2013 #

16. Still blocked.

Comment by CJ — 11:26 pm November 11, 2013 #

17. The City Light trucks just arrived.

Comment by CJ — 11:37 pm November 11, 2013 #

18. 4 hours now. Seattle city light trucks back on scene.

Comment by DN — 11:57 pm November 11, 2013 #

19. Thanks, CJ & DN! Should be open by early morning commute, then, at least.

Comment by WSB — 11:57 pm November 11, 2013 #

20. I lost a high school friend on that stretch (about 25 years ago). Another friend lived in a house there for a few years and his parked car was totaled and several of his neighbors had their cars smashed during that time. I agree, that road + speed + alcohol = bad results.

Comment by Howdy — 6:06 am November 12, 2013 #

21. Why is this corner some kind of accident magnet? Seems like a regular occurrence. OK, that was a dumb question. I witnessed one a couple of years ago. Driver was going uphill, not excessively fast, strangely started fsh-tailing on dry pavement, and hit the same darned pole square-on. Driver gets out of car and examined steam coming from crushed front-end. Driver looked fine, so I slowed down and checked, but didn’t stop. I used to wait for bus at that stop every AM. I sure paid attention to the cars coming up the hill.

Comment by Peter — 10:34 am November 12, 2013 #

22. We live near the corner on 49th and have seen 4-5 of these incidents just this year. The pedestrian crossing sign at 49th was mowed over in one of them. The bus stop sign just past 49th on Admiral was hit once, and actually, the person at the bus stop got out of the way but must have fainted or something, because an aid car came. The retaining wall at the house on the south corner was hit once. And that utility pole has been smashed into 2-3 times now. I’d say they either need to post a cop on that hill more frequently to stop the speeders or put a light in. I’m not a big fan of traffic lights in general, but with the way people speed up the hill, turning left onto Admiral off 49th has become a bit of a Russian Roulette. I’ve seen several near accidents, and as a pedestrian crossing the street there, I’m super cautious.

Comment by Seadanes — 11:23 am November 12, 2013 #

23. Where are all the comments about the speed limits on Admiral needing to be raised. 30 MPH is just too slow and it’s a speed trap that just brings money into the city coffers with no logic behind the speed limit. Anyone? Anyone? (crickets)

Comment by 2 Much Whine — 11:26 am November 12, 2013 #

24. I haven’t ever heard anyone proposing the speed limit change on the western side. It’s usually been the hill north of the bridge.

Comment by WSB — 11:42 am November 12, 2013 #

25. 2 Much, just my own experience, but I’ve been driving on Admiral Way for decades, never had any trouble going the speed limit there, or elsehwhere. “speed trap”? Limit is clearly marked at several places along that street.

Comment by M. — 6:33 pm November 12, 2013 #

26. I walked from the beach up Admiral to California twice yesterday…the speed of the cars was alarming, as were the number of people texting/talking on phones. Drivers seemed to let loose around the curves.

Comment by kim — 7:55 pm November 12, 2013 #