West Seattle Crime Watch: Burglary suspect out of jail

April 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 18 Comments

As of about two hours ago, the 31-year-old man arrested yesterday in connection with a North Admiral burglary and under scrutiny for possible links to others is out of jail, over the objections of law enforcement. They noted formally in paperwork that they object because he is “suspected of being a serial burglar and likely to reoffend to support his drug habit.” King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office spokesperson Dan Donohoe tells WSB he was released “on personal recognizance” (no, we don’t know which judge was presiding) and is due back in court on Monday. He is not yet formally charged.

1. He might get street justice the next time.

Comment by Mike — 9:27 pm April 22, 2011 #

2. Can’t wait for the bleeding hearts’ comments on THIS one.

Comment by lenguamor — 9:46 pm April 22, 2011 #

3. Wow, thanks justice system for putting the problem back on the people of West Seattle.

Comment by EmmyJane — 9:54 pm April 22, 2011 #

4. How frustrating! Please post the judge when you find out. Thanks

Comment by Sandy — 10:25 pm April 22, 2011 #

5. PR’d huh? This guy must be an upstanding individual with a history of personal responsibility ensuring he’ll show up to court on Monday.

Comment by Under_Achiever — 10:27 pm April 22, 2011 #

6. Do the charging papers list his name?

Comment by bridge to somewhere — 11:39 pm April 22, 2011 #

7. The documents available today are not charging papers, but the so-called “superform” – basically some pages from the arrest report. Yes, he is identified, but we will not publish his name until he is charged, as noted in our story from earlier in the day. His last known address, according to the “superform,” is in the Admiral District. – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:05 am April 23, 2011 #

8. I’m liberal, probably even a bleeding heart and not an attorney, but isn’t it illegal to hold someone more than 24 hours without charge? It sounds to me like it is the prosecutor who is not doing his/her job.

Comment by Ricky Bobby — 7:01 am April 23, 2011 #

9. After reading about the plea bargain with the Alki shooting suspect and this fiasco, did you ever wonder why your cops don’t care anymore?

Comment by amused — 7:01 am April 23, 2011 #

10. RB – Generally it’s 72 hours, depending on whether there’s a weekend involved. But there’s a bail hearing usually within the first day post-arrest, and that’s when the judge has the power to say “let them go” or “keep them in.” A suspect in a nonviolent crime without a major criminal history (I haven’t found much of one on this suspect so far) will generally not have bail denied, but there’s quite the difference between bail denied and “personal recognizance” … TR

Comment by WSB — 8:11 am April 23, 2011 #

11. I testified against a guy for a burglary in the Admiral area a few years ago. I don’t remember his name (I was a passerby to the crime who was called in at the last minute of the trial) but I remember his face clearly. I’d love to see a photo of this guy, if he is charged.

Comment by cherylc — 9:30 am April 23, 2011 #

12. Let’s find out who this is and post his picture and home address. Not for vigilante type behavior but I’m SICK of this! I’m sick of being scared and losing my hard earned belongings. I’m sick of spending energy on home security! It should go to better causes or needs. Let’s make West Seattle safer!

Comment by Single Mother — 11:15 am April 23, 2011 #

13. SM, if the suspect is charged, we will publish his name. We will not publish his home address (nor do we publish the home address of anybody who’s in the news, unless, say it’s a story about a house for sale, in which case, the address is part of it – we don’t even publish the exact address of homes that are crime/fire scenes). Regarding a photo, if courtroom photography doesn’t turn out to be possible, I’ll be checking with the DOC to see if he’s ever served time in state prison, which isn’t clear from what online records are available – they are the only law enforcement agency that releases photos (except for the sex-offender registry). – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:32 am April 23, 2011 #

14. Yesterday, around 2:30pm in the Westwood area, I saw a man running out of breath, trying to hide something in his sweatshirt. He didn’t seem to know where he was going and was in a panic. He ran towards one alley, and then changed his mind and ran towards the other alley. I followed him and saw him in the alley bent over, panting out of breath. I pretended to keep walking, and he then took off out the alley up towards 35th. I followed him as I called 911. I gave the description, and continued to follow him. I found him in another alley, panting, and when he saw me, he ran through someone’s backyard. I called 911 again and gave them an update. I didn’t see him come out of the yard. I waited for the police to show up, and after quite a few minutes passed, I called 911 again to ask if I gave them the right address, which was confirmed that I did. The police showed up and I spoke with them, and they did a search and talked with some other people that saw the man run through the yard also. They didn’t find him.

Comment by Wayne — 11:42 am April 23, 2011 #

15. The description of this person is, white male brown hair (medium length or maybe longer possibly tucked under a baseball cap) with a brown beard. Average build, between 5’9 to 6’0. Between late 20′s or early 30′s. Wearing a gray sweatshirt with dark pants, I believe a black baseball hat with a blue colored bill, wearing black gloves.

Comment by Wayne — 11:46 am April 23, 2011 #

16. Wayne: gloves on on a 70 degree day? ya, definitely up to no good.

Comment by bridge to somewhere — 10:22 pm April 23, 2011 #

17. I am definately not going to live in fear in my own home. My humble little house looks like a great target, though.

—> To those crooks looking to B&E in Highland Park: You have been warned. It may look like an easy score, but the price you pay will be grave…

Comment by G — 12:52 pm April 25, 2011 #

18. That description seems to match the one of the guy who held up (with a gun) a pedestrian walking his dog last week at roughly Andover & California. Of course I realize there are a lot of 6′ tall, 30-something white guys w/ beards in West Seattle. However, maybe the cops could show the guy’s picture to that robbery victim?

Comment by Tim — 10:16 pm April 25, 2011 #