ORIGINAL REPORT, 5:03 PM: Three West Seattle Crime Watch reports, starting with an investigation under way now:
POLICE SEARCH: Thanks for the tips about a police response in Upper Alki/West Admiral. Scanner traffic indicated they were looking for someone but no details on why; our crew went to the center of the search, Admiral Way and Lander, to try to find out more. Police there tell us someone reported being “grabbed” while walking in the area. They were talking with a possible suspect when we arrived so we don’t have further details; as far as we can calculate from the time frame that was mentioned, they didn’t get the report until at least 45 minutes after the incident, so it’s been at least an hour and a half now since the incident. We’ll add anything more we find out.
Since we’re talking Crime Watch, we’ll add two reader reports that came in earlier today:
CAR-PROWL SPREE: Ray shared this report sent to neighbors:
I’d like to thank Kathleen for letting me know my car had been broken into and I should also thank the Seattle Police Department and Officer J. Dobson for their swift and professional response. Last night my 2013 Honda Accord was broken into and a cell phone stolen on 38th Ave SW between Juneau and Raymond.
A total of four cars (and counting) were prowled last night between 9:00 pm and 7:00 AM today. If anyone has video on these cars, SPD would be really pleased to hear about it. Case #15-414043 at 206 733 9800 if you have related information. A $200 reward for apprehension and conviction of the thief is up for grabs (will be split, if there are multiple competitors for the prize).
I lost a cell phone out of my car and consider myself lucky that was the only theft. I expect to be replacing the door and the trunk lid, courtesy of our little friends. A few tips.
1) Never leave valuables in your car, even in our safe little area.
2) Particularly and especially valuables with data in or on them that can be used for identity theft.
3) If you are a firearms aficionado, please see #1 & #2. If the Seattle Chief can have his service weapon stolen out of his car, there is not a single one of us that is magically invulnerable. Leaving a gun in a car is a bad choice on many many levels – keep it on your person or under adult supervision at all times.
4) If you don’t have a car alarm system, now is a good time. If your system only triggers when a door opens, now is a good time to upgrade. My little thief caved in a window and went in through said window, cleverly not opening the door.
5) It is likely time for us all to be a little more aware as the holidays approach and thievery abounds. There has also been a uptick in packages being stolen from doorsteps throughout Seattle.
I will be installing an external camera covering our primary parking area shortly. I suggest doing the same, and I have found the AT&T alarm and surveillance system to be quite satisfactory.
GARAGE BURGLARY: Sent today by Rebecca:
I just wanted to report that our garage was broken into Thursday night, near 35th and Manning. The door was open in the morning and we thought we left it open, but then realized that all of our tools were gone. They did not take bikes or golf clubs, but a couple drills, chop saw, large tool box and several other tool sets. Not sure if any other burglaries were reported int he area, but seems like around the holidays the rate of burglaries goes up. Our garage is separate from the house but we were home and have several house guests and three dogs so a pretty brazen burglary.
ADDED 11:11 PM: One more report has come in tonight – from Lori:
Last night between the hours of 11 pm & 7 am. 3 of 4 tires/rims were taken off our 2012 Subaru. It was parked in our alley @ the 5200 block of 41st Ave.