Six days until West Seattle Community Garage Sale Day (Saturday, May 10th, 9 am-3 pm)! If you missed the announcement last night, the online map is up and running – go here to see who’s having a sale near you, who’s selling what, and more – 280+ sales big and small all over West Seattle.
As part of WSCGSD, several donation drives are planned on sale day, mostly geared toward taking advantage of leftovers – or anything you might want to buy at WSCGSD sales and THEN donate. BUT here’s one that is already under way: Denny International Middle School is spearheading a book drive. And you can even donate before the sale – today, in fact – with two local businesses offering incentives – read this message from Denny principal Jeff Clark:
Motivating and exciting students is an important part of education at Denny International Middle School and the other schools in West Seattle. One of the easiest ways to motivate students to read is to have books they are excited about reading. We are seeking donated books to help us to match each student to many appropriately-leveled high-interest books. Your book donation would help us with our efforts.
How You Can Help: You can drop off books at any of these locations:
1. We will have a truck marked Denny Middle School in the West Seattle Junction across from Junction True Value from 3 to 6 PM on May 10th.
2. Hotwire Coffee – 4410 California Avenue SW, any time during open hours thru May 18th . … Note: Hotwire Coffee, as part of its support for the West Seattle community, will give a certificate good for $1 off any purchase at Hotwire to the first 25 people who drop off 10 or more books.
3. Bank of America, West Seattle Branch, 4001 SW Alaska St, 358-2230, from 10-6 M-F, Sat 10-1, thru May 18th.
4. Roxbury Bowling Lanes, 2823 Roxbury St, 935-7400, from 11 AM to 7 PM, thru Sunday, May 18th … Note: Roxbury Lanes, as part of its support for the Seattle community, will give a certificate good for two people for two free games of bowling for any book donation over 20 books.
5. Denny International Middle School, 2601 SW Kenyon St, 252-9000. Drop off at the front desk, from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday to Friday, thru Friday, May 16th.
Some books may be more suitable for older or younger readers. We plan to sort the donated books and find appropriate places for them, including local elementary schools, Chief Sealth International High School, and the West Seattle Senior Center.
Thank you very much for your book donations to help the scholars of West Seattle Schools!
Tomorrow, look for WestSide Baby‘s wish list in case you’d like to shop and donate on WSCGSD, plus other information about donation drives tied to sale day.
No Comments yet
Sorry, comment time is over.
All contents copyright 2005-2015, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^