West Seattle wildlife: River otter sightings near 35th/Avalon

January 7, 2014 at 9:59 am | In West Seattle news, Wildlife | 5 Comments

After two reports in the past half-hour, we’re putting this out as an alert. While river otters spend a lot of time on land, they’re not usually seen as far from the water as 35th/Fauntleroy/Avalon. One report was from Erin, who wrote, “I SWEAR I just saw a river otter running through the 7-11 parking lot on 35th and Avalon!” shortly after we got a note from Cait that began, “I know this might sound crazy but I’m pretty positive I just spotted an otter alone on Fauntleroy next to the WS Bridge.” So if you’re in that area – be on the lookout!

P.S. If you haven’t seen a river otter before – here’s what they look like. Learn more about them via another great state-produced Living With Wildlife info-sheet.

1. I also saw a river otter yesterday. It came out from the hedge between two houses and crossed the the street. It was at the corner of 47th and Walker.

Comment by Shelli Hyrkas — 5:08 pm January 7, 2014 #

2. I saw one yesterday at Holgate and 45th! Thought I was seeing things!

Comment by Lorraine Fournier — 9:36 pm January 7, 2014 #

3. Mountain Beaver maybe?

Comment by ltfd — 9:51 pm January 7, 2014 #

4. Nope did not look any where close to a mountain beaver, it was most certainly an otter. He was in a hurry no matter where he was going,

Comment by Lorraine — 7:20 am January 8, 2014 #

5. Let’s see, two sightings on Monday in the Admiral District, and two sightings at/near the 7-11 at 35th & Avalon on Tuesday.

My theory: much like those people who have set a goal to visit every Starbucks in [wherever], maybe the river otter is doing the same with the 7-11′s, at least in West Seattle, for a tasty Slurpee?

His possible itinerary:

First stop: The Harbor Av Store, fresh out of the water.

Second stop: California/Admiral Store.

Third stop: California/Charlestown Store.

Fourth Stop: California/Erskine Store.

Fifth stop: 35th/Avalon Store.

Sixth stop: 35th/Henderson Store.

Seventh stop: Delridge/Barton Store.

Eighth Stop: 16th/Holden Store.

And then on down Boeing Hill, back into the Duwamish!

Mike