West Seattle Crime Watch: Traffic stop turns into police search

7:37 PM: The police search that is under way in Sunrise Heights right now started with a “routine traffic stop,” we’ve learned at the scene. Police say they were trying to pull over a driver for something “routine” when the driver took off and headed east, then got out of the car at some point and ran. They don’t know why but they’re trying to find him; the search includes a greenbelt area stretching down the hillside off SW Othello. A K-9 team is involved in the search.

7:51 PM: The search is also covering greenbelt area southeast of High Point, stretching down toward Home Depot, as a commenter notes.

17 Replies to "West Seattle Crime Watch: Traffic stop turns into police search"

• comment-avatar
    doghouse September 17, 2012 (7:43 pm)

I believe the police are looking in the woods just west of Home Depot. Two cars with lights on sitting on 26th on the edge of the woods. My neighbor here on 27th saw the runner about 45 minutes ago.

• comment-avatar
      WSB September 17, 2012 (7:49 pm)

Yes, that’s what it sounds like. Our first caller (thank you!) mentioned 27th and Othello, and our crew started there.

• comment-avatar
    Sunny September 17, 2012 (7:56 pm)

Any description of the person they are looking for?

• comment-avatar
    jvp September 17, 2012 (8:07 pm)

We live on 26th– about 45 min. ago, we noticed a car tearing down the road (which is basically unpaved). About ten minutes ago a tow truck came down the road, and just went back by towing a car. Couldn’t tell the make and model– too dark. And of course since we’re right up against the greenbelt, we have our windows and doors closed and locked. And two vicious dogs on alert. :)

• comment-avatar
      WSB September 17, 2012 (8:18 pm)

JVP – likely the suspect car being impounded. I haven’t heard any indication they’ve found the guy, but will check again later. If anybody in the area sees/hears anything suspicious, be sure to call 911 rather than investigating by yourself!

• comment-avatar
    James Mahler September 17, 2012 (8:34 pm)

We just got home and talked to the officer. The guy is still out there in the greenbelt.

• comment-avatar
    n8088r September 17, 2012 (9:02 pm)

I was in the alley joining Webster between 29th and 28th, and witnessed a speeding black Lexus roaring eastward down Webster, past me, crossing 28th and down out of sight. It was literally roaring as it sounded like it had a flat tire. 2 squad cars appeared soon after at the roundabout on Othello and 28th and I relayed the sighting, and they quickly took off down Othello.

• comment-avatar
    WTF September 17, 2012 (9:48 pm)

Will you PLEASE catch these PsOS and get them out of my neighborhood!!!!!

• comment-avatar
    eric1 September 17, 2012 (11:22 pm)

I always love to hear the K9 units are on the job. I hope the suspects run and resist Fido. I’d take my time as the K9 cop in getting the dog off the suspect. I’d do the 100 yard dash in about 10 minutes. “Really, your honor, you should have seen the blackberry bushes, and the dog was way ahead.”

• comment-avatar
    RedHouse September 18, 2012 (7:51 am)

I live in the house where the car was abandoned. They towed it out about 8:30 last night and one of the officiers told me that they suspended the search for the guy. The woods behind my house are brutally thick with sticker bushes this time of year and it was starting to be too hazardous for the K9 dog. Looks like the guy was able to wait them out or he had enough of a head start to make his way through the stickers and come out on Sylvan or down by Home Depot.

• comment-avatar
    Lfauntleroy September 18, 2012 (9:56 am)

What is the description of the person they were chasing?

• comment-avatar
    2 Much Whine September 18, 2012 (10:23 am)

Description: disheveled and dirty male with lots of scratches.

• comment-avatar
    RedHouse September 18, 2012 (10:43 am)

I never saw the guy. Anyone out there have a description?

• comment-avatar
    The Original MB September 18, 2012 (11:32 am)

I’m on 28th & Myrtle and all the cop could give us for a description was black male, about 6′ tall, blue baseball cap. Not too helpful…

• comment-avatar
    AE September 18, 2012 (3:46 pm)

Any update? Was the car stolen? If not, shouldn’t be too much of a task to find him.

• comment-avatar
    BeingPB September 19, 2012 (5:33 pm)

The last entry was 2 days ago. Any current update? Have seen nothing on news.

• comment-avatar
      WSB September 19, 2012 (5:51 pm)

Hi, there was an update in our coverage of the Crime Prevention Council from last night. Bottom line, no arrest but they believe they know who they are looking for. – TR

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann