West Seattle Wednesday: Bamboo meeting; traffic; schools

August 22, 2012 at 8:50 am | In West Seattle news, WS miscellaneous | 6 Comments

(Fishing from Seacrest at sunrise, photographed last Friday by Paul Swortz and shared via Flickr)
From the WSB West Seattle Events Calendar listings for today and tonight:

TRAFFIC ALERTS: As mentioned earlier this morning, the 1st Avenue S. water-main work isn’t finished yet (we’ll update this story when it is), plus there’s a noontime Mariners game today, so SODO will be busy. Tonight, there are TWO scheduled closures (per our weekly day-by-day/night-by-night list) – southbound 99/Alaskan Way Viaduct closed 9 pm-5 am, and eastbound Spokane Street Viaduct closed 10 pm-5 am.

HIGH POINT MARKET GARDEN FARM STAND: Fresh-vegetable sales continue weekly at the stand alongside the organic mini-farm at 32nd and Juneau, 4-7 pm Wednesdays (through September). More info here.

COMMUNITY MEETING AT BAMBOO BAR AND GRILL: 5:30-7:30 pm, in the aftermath of the fight/shooting incident outside Bamboo (2806 Alki SW) last Sunday morning (WSB coverage here and followup here), its management/ownership is organizing a meeting “to share the steps that we have been taking to promote a safer environment and to hear any suggestions West Seattle locals may have to offer.”

LAFAYETTE KINDERGARTEN PLAYDATE: With exactly two weeks to go until school starts, families of new Lafayette Elementary kindergarteners are invited to a playdate 5:30-7 pm – more here.

OPEN HOUSE: Arbor Heights Co-Op Preschool is holding an open house 6 pm today at Hillcrest Presbyterian Churchdetails and map here (including an RSVP request).

1. I used to live near the Bamboo Bar… I’ve been in there twice late night… both times there were fights and once I almost caught an errant haymaker… after that I was done with it. Its good that they are having this meeting because there seem to be a lot of problems spilling out of that place…

Comment by Buddy — 9:20 am August 22, 2012 #

2. I also used to live around the corner from Bamboo Bar and Grill and only went there three times. Once there was a late night fight, one time I witnessed a drug deal, and the last time I got food poisoning after eating a burger (not related to physical safety, but food safety perhaps). Unless this business goes under new ownership or does a complete overhaul, I will never visit this establishment again. Shame on me for giving it so many chances. It is unfortunate this place seems to attract the late night clientele that it does.

Comment by Lindsey — 10:53 am August 22, 2012 #

3. I used to live by the Bamboo 9+ years ago and it was WAY different………

Comment by bsmomma — 12:05 pm August 22, 2012 #

4. Can’t wait for the meeting. I’m sure it will help. Bahahaha!!

Comment by Guy — 12:44 pm August 22, 2012 #

5. I agree with Guy. Time to call the Liquor Board about getting their license yanked it is the only way to get a place like this to behave. Talk is cheap

Comment by M — 1:22 pm August 22, 2012 #

6. Nice pic, Paul. Any fish getting caught down at Seacrest?

Comment by Peter — 3:59 pm August 22, 2012 #