West Seattle resident Ben Huppe killed in Kitsap County crash

July 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm | In Obituaries, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 16 Comments

12:09 PM: We’ve learned that a man killed in a one-car crash near the Southworth ferry dock on the Kitsap Peninsula yesterday was a 20-year-old West Seattleite. Ben Huppe graduated from Garfield High School just two years ago. According to this Kitsap Sun report, his car veered off the road around 7:30 am Friday and went down a 30-foot embankment. A friend who e-mailed us with the sad news describes Mr. Huppe as “a truly amazing young man.”

ADDED 6:38 PM: As commenters have mentioned, Mr. Huppe was a coach at the Arbor Heights Swim and Tennis Club, where a memorial is growing. C.D. sent the photo we have added above, explaining it’s “a little memorial that we set up on the Arbor Heights Swim and Tennis courts; we encourage members to write their thoughts and prayers.” The AHSTC website has this tribute:

Ben has been the heart of the tennis team for years, joining the team at age 9 and twice voted “most inspirational” by his teammates. Ben coached for 4 years and has been a great role model for all the kids at the club, teaching them to love the game of tennis. He will be greatly missed and our hearts go out to his family

ADDED 9:54 PM: A story in The Seattle Times (WSB partner) has more details about Mr. Huppe’s achievements, including how he helped found Technology Services Corps.

1. A truly wonderful guy, I was lucky enough to go through school with him. My heart goest out to his loved ones.

Comment by Zoe — 1:02 pm July 14, 2012 #

2. Ben was an amazing young man who was a fantastic role model and mentor to many children at Arbor Heights Swim and Tennis club as the tennis coach. My kids LOVED him. He will be deeply missed. Our prayers are with his family during this very difficult time.

Comment by Karri — 1:13 pm July 14, 2012 #

3. I knew Ben through his coaching up at Arbor Heights. He was a great positive force for all of the kids on the tennis team. A wonderful young man. Our thoughts are with him and his family.

Comment by Andy R — 3:11 pm July 14, 2012 #

4. Ben was indeed a special human being with a gift for coaching and mentoring others. The kids at Arbor loved spending time with Ben, he made tennis very fun. RIP Ben you were truly a role model on so many levels. Our hearts are heavy for your family.

Comment by Lisa — 4:17 pm July 14, 2012 #

5. So sad to hear about the loss of Ben. He was a wonderful role model and a favorite coach for my son at AHSTC. Our prayers are with his family during this awful tragedy.
    May his memory be eternal.

Comment by Angela G — 5:01 pm July 14, 2012 #

6. Ben was an outstanding young man. A strong role model for both my boys. Incredibly dedicated to the kids. Always had a beautiful smile and encouraging words. Our hearts hurt and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Comment by Dianne — 5:59 pm July 14, 2012 #

7. A very kind heart. Thoughts and prayers go out to his many loved ones

Comment by Jenny — 10:24 pm July 14, 2012 #

8. We loved Ben not because he was a talented young tennis player but because he was a gentleman. He always had a smile on his face coaching our kids at Arbor Heights tennis. He was an amazing mentor for my children especially my son who will miss him the most. He would always encourage my son to do his best. Great memories of Ben will hold dear in our hearts. Many prayers for Ben and his family. We miss you Ben,

Comment by Kathleen — 11:10 pm July 14, 2012 #

9. I have known Ben since elementary school. Ben was one of the best guy friends tht I could have in my life. He was always so positive and encouraging. I don’t have any memories of him without him having a huge Smile in his face. It is devastating that he was taken from us so early when he had so much potential. I am so happy to look at his Facebook and see the positive and heartfelt comments tht are being posted about his life. My deepest sympathies go out to his family in this hard time.

Comment by BeachGirl — 2:40 am July 15, 2012 #

10. Ben was a very special young man. Talented, smart and very giving.

Comment by Molly Calkins Seaverns — 11:11 pm July 15, 2012 #

11. A real life super hero…only used his power for good. God Bless him.

Comment by Xman — 11:12 pm July 15, 2012 #

12. It was with great sorrow that I heard of Ben’s passing. He was a great soul in the GTA/TSC family and his life touched so many around the world in such a profound way. My late wife Britta and I had the privilege of traveling to Chile with Ben on Britta’s last GTA adventure. Ben was so kind to Britta and understanding of her limitations from her battle with breast cancer. His passion and focus on that mission inspired both the American team members and their Chilean student partners. He understood that we cannot change the entire world but we can bite off a little piece of this world and live it with purpose and passion to touch the lives of those we are blessed to come in contact with. I was blessed by my contact with Ben and my little piece of this world was changed by his actions. He was the best of who we are. Kjell Rye

Comment by Kjell-Jon Rye — 5:19 am July 16, 2012 #

13. Ben was the bet tennis coach you could ask for
    i taught me how to play tennis for 4 years and helped me improve my tennis skills,
    You will be missed
    Rest in peace

Comment by tennis — 10:26 pm July 16, 2012 #

14. Ben was the bet tennis coach you could ask for
    you will be missed
    Rest in peace

Comment by tennis — 10:31 pm July 16, 2012 #

15. I’m so sorry for the family and friends of this young man who sounds like he was a person who had so much inner light and love. My heart goes out to all who are suffering

Comment by lissyjane — 10:59 am July 17, 2012 #

16. Bob, So sorry to hear about Ben. He was born when we were both working at Mt. View. My heart goes out to you and your wife and family!
    I can’t make it to the service because we will be on Lopez Island but will be thinking of you!
    Much love,