West Seattle Trader Joe’s: Murals, parking … and opening date!

March 30, 2012 at 11:26 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle Trader Joe's | 60 Comments

Trader Joe’s has finally officially “announced” the opening date of its West Seattle store – the same one reported last month, April 13th, now on their store-locator webpage.

Meantime, a few more views of the new store – starting with the murals, which Diane pointed out in the WSB Forums night before last, noting that they are easily visible from the street.

We have asked TJ’s repeatedly, through both local management and corporate PR, for permission to go into the store and take pictures, and it’s been repeatedly denied; they say there will be no media previews, period. But at least we can show you what is visible from the street since their windows are huge and uncovered. Above, one mural shows the Alki Lighthouse (and check out the Water Taxi on the left!); we’ve been trying to guess the next one, mostly out of sight behind the light fixtures and sign (Fauntleroy Schoolhouse?):

Meantime, we are getting recurring questions about the parking situation. What you might not realize is that the surface lot – which has an entrance at 38th/Fauntleroy south/east of, and separate from, the exit onto Fauntleroy – is only part of it.

There’s also upstairs parking; J. Hughes Construction, Inc., is working on finishing touches this morning. This too has separate entrances and exits, both off 39th SW (south of West Seattle Bowl and across the street from “The Hole”) – here’s the entrance:

And just north is the exit:

Store hours, according to the TJ’s website, will be 8 am-9 pm. And if somehow this is the first you are hearing of all this and you don’t know where the store is – 4545 Fauntleroy Way SW. It’s been 21 months since the company announced it had leased the former Huling Brothers Buick site, P.S. We’ve added two additional photos to our “West Seattle Trader Joe’s” board on Pinterest.

1. The second mural looks more like West Seattle High School to me.

Comment by Chris — 11:43 am March 30, 2012 #

2. That’s what my co-publisher wondered, too, perhaps Hiawatha in the foreground …

Comment by WSB — 11:44 am March 30, 2012 #

3. It’ll be nice to have covered parking!

Comment by 2krazy4words — 11:56 am March 30, 2012 #

4. YAY! I Can’t WAIT…. I bet we see other grocery stores lowering their prices to compete with the TJ’s prices…

Comment by Jtk — 11:58 am March 30, 2012 #

5. Does look like WSH.

Comment by monroe1200 — 12:10 pm March 30, 2012 #

6. I would definitely say it is WSHS, too. You can also see one of the blue doors off to the left.

Comment by Ian — 12:23 pm March 30, 2012 #

7. After all the publicity the opening of this store has gotten on this blog you think they could make an exception for WSB to take a couple pics. I hope they realize a couple murals doesn’t make them a part of this community.

Comment by Roundthesound — 12:23 pm March 30, 2012 #

8. A true West Seattlite knows that is West Seattle High School!!!

Comment by Stephanie — 12:24 pm March 30, 2012 #

9. yes, covered parking is so fantastic on super rainy blustery days, like the Cap Hill TJ’s (but that one is nightmare to get in, steep curvy driveway) this one looks perfect, easy in/out access
    ~
    and yes, Admiral Safeway has been giving customers with Safeway card a 10% “basket” discount all month, no doubt tied to opening of TJ’s; literally counting the days (14) til I no longer have to shop at Safeway for most of my food, or drive to QA, Cap Hill, or Burien for the food that I love the best

Comment by Diane — 12:31 pm March 30, 2012 #

10. Sorry, Stephanie, we’re transplants … only 21 years :) … I must have been looking at the wrong angle to compare on Google Images! – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:32 pm March 30, 2012 #

11. I haven’t received the Safeway basket discount?

Comment by resident3 — 1:04 pm March 30, 2012 #

12. This will be very useful. Finally…

Comment by Lisa — 1:04 pm March 30, 2012 #

13. Do we know if this new TJ’s will carry distilled-spirits?

Comment by Aman — 1:11 pm March 30, 2012 #

14. They have not applied for a license as of the latest list online. My question along those lines to corporate some time back went unanswered. – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:27 pm March 30, 2012 #

15. very exciting – thanks for the update!
    as a frequent pedestrian, one question i have is about pedestrian access from the south and southeast. there’s a signaled crosswalk at 39th, but not 38th – the next one to the east is at oregon. i foresee a lot of bike and foot traffic darting across fauntleroy at 38th. technically it’s a legal crosswalk, since it’s an intersection, but that doesn’t make crossing any safer. i hope the city will consider (and TJs might consider proposing or at least supporting) putting a marked crosswalk (ideally with a signal) across fauntleroy at 38th.

Comment by Ben — 1:34 pm March 30, 2012 #

16. Ben – This is part of the area where the city is supposed to spend money this year to study the “boulevard” concept for the Triangle section of Fauntleroy Way, which ostensibly would be pedestrian-friendlier, with a median, among other things, so I wouldn’t be surprised if efforts would be focused there initially, unless the store does create a multitude of situations such as what you envision … TR

Comment by WSB — 1:39 pm March 30, 2012 #

17. Another vote for Hiawatha/West Seattle High School. If a clock was visible on the front, that would confirm.

Comment by Gina — 1:49 pm March 30, 2012 #

18. good luck trying to park there.

Comment by carlton — 2:18 pm March 30, 2012 #

19. @WSB
    Does that Trader Joes have 10,000 square feet of retail space? I think the total space is over 10,000 square feet, but I don’t think you can count any of the back rooms. Their retail floor might be below the limit.

Comment by Andrew Beck — 2:47 pm March 30, 2012 #

20. It’s been referred to as 14K sf, I believe, though not sure how much of that breaks out to what the state was asking for.

Comment by WSB — 2:49 pm March 30, 2012 #

21. I think its for sure WSHS.

Comment by Brandon — 2:51 pm March 30, 2012 #

22. Its just a grocery store people.

Comment by Joe the Plumber — 3:07 pm March 30, 2012 #

23. I was in there and I can confirm with certainty that it is WSHS. I’m not from WS, but the sign is very clear in person.

Comment by DavidM — 3:22 pm March 30, 2012 #

24. Why can’t we respect them and wait until they open the doors to media, most businesses just put black paper up so no one can see in the windows until they are ready to unveil.
    I welcome them to be part of our community wonderful place to shop, great service and good prices and employment for many. Less gas used by us who drive to Burien or Queen Anne to shop at TJ’s.

Comment by WS MOM — 3:31 pm March 30, 2012 #

25. Every time we drive by the store my 4-year-old says ‘Is Trader Joe’s open yet?’ for at least the last 2 months. The answer is always ‘Not yet, but I see food on the shelves….’ WE ARE SO EXCITED! For 12 years I have been driving to Burien and Capitol Hill and bugging the checkers about coming to West Seattle the whole time. I honestly never thought they would come and I really never thought they would build such a beautiful Trader Joe’s. It looks like West Seattle has the best one in the entire area. Timing is perfect with food going up so fast too. This community is watching, waiting, anticipating and is ready to officially adopt you. The least you could do is let our super blog editors into your store!

Comment by whoooo weeee !!! — 3:35 pm March 30, 2012 #

26. Thanks for keepin’ it real Joe. I’ll be happy when this story can finally be let go bythe breathless TJ followers.

Comment by Chris — 4:47 pm March 30, 2012 #

27. Trader Joe’s is a petit-bourgeoise Wal-Mart. I will continue to shop at the locally owned options in West Seattle and not patronize the German conglomerate owned megacorporation that is trader joe’s.

Comment by duder — 5:08 pm March 30, 2012 #

28. I’d offer you a cookie, but is it okay if it’s a chocolate-covered Jo?

Comment by odroku — 5:14 pm March 30, 2012 #

29. I can tell you that Trader Joes in West Seattle does plan to eventually sell alcohol and are within the required square footage:)

Comment by West Seattle Lifer — 5:27 pm March 30, 2012 #

30. Lol @ “Duder”. Have you considered moving to Vashon Island? They don’t support growth either.

Comment by Nate — 5:31 pm March 30, 2012 #

31. I prefer to shop local (thank you Thriftway), but TJOGHT has a few special things I like to buy. Wal-Mart has vile practices – no comparison there.therefore

Comment by Alyxx — 5:53 pm March 30, 2012 #

32. Note to self: on TJ’s opening weekend, the Burien store should have no lines at all. Perhaps one more trip to Burien is in order until the hysteria calms down. Looking forward to being able to walk to this one though!

Comment by Sue — 6:02 pm March 30, 2012 #

33. Tho I love Trader Joes and am looking forward to the opening of the store… I am HATING what it has already done to the street parking in front of my house :( I have a feeling it’s only going to get worse for myself and the street I live on. I live on 38th and can see the store from my yard. But on a Positve note… I can walk there anytime I want and won’t have to look for one of the coveted parking places

Comment by Swiss miss — 6:36 pm March 30, 2012 #

34. i love the the Morgan Thriftway, but the prices? I will shop and compare but I would like to see TW lower some prices.

Comment by denise — 8:39 pm March 30, 2012 #

35. I will patronize TJs, like I have for the past 27 years regardless of where I lived. For the same reasons I will do so now: Cheaper prices on the same commodities I get now. TJs isn’t WalMart — they pay staffers a good wage.
    Not everything at Trader Joes is good (see three buck chuck) but most are cheaper than the nearby competitors offering will be. Welcome to capitalism.

Comment by JayDee — 8:48 pm March 30, 2012 #

36. Pertaining to one comment above. Our murals are not to ‘become’ a part of the community. They are to celebrate the community we are to become a part of.

Comment by Bob — 9:13 pm March 30, 2012 #

37. Will there be any bicycle parking? If they put in covered parking for bicycles too, that would be awesome.

Comment by JN — 9:30 pm March 30, 2012 #

38. Alright Bob GOD FORBID TJ’s BECOMES the community. Really? I’m glad you made that clear because if that got out wrong it would really cause some major PR damage I’m sure. Get over it.

Comment by pr4ya — 10:06 pm March 30, 2012 #

39. I agree that the second mural is WSHS! :)

Comment by LyndaB — 10:19 pm March 30, 2012 #

40. I stopped to peek in again tonight; even better view of the murals; there are about 10; there’s one of the Alaska Junction with Easy Street sign; there’s one of Anchor park with Seattle skyline; there’s one of our Lady Liberty down on Alki; there’s one on the back left wall that looks like a historic home, but can’t tell what it is; there’s one on far left that I have no idea what it’s supposed to be; go peek and tell us what you see; thank you Trader Joe’s for the wonderful murals honoring our community; I love them all

Comment by Diane — 10:49 pm March 30, 2012 #

41. Alright pr4ya, I think you need to re-read my post. My comment was in response to a previous post that stated, ” I hope they realize a couple murals doesn’t make them a part of this community.” My post was to relay to that poster that the murals were about celebrating the community we will be a part of. We most certainly hope we will be considered a part of the community as we’re in it. Sorry my post was confusing.

Comment by Bob — 10:54 pm March 30, 2012 #

42. I’m glad we’ll finally have a TJ’s in WS… But what will we talk about now?
    Will there be rally cry for our very own Costco? Or maybe a Wal*mart (g-d forbid)? Or a Dick’s that some have been begging for when the topic of the former Charleston Cafe location comes up? How about a multi-plex movie theater?
    My vote would be for a giant Park And Ride lot where the Hole Foods was supposed to go. With a bus &/or light rail terminal built in. Ahhhh… A commute that finally wouldn’t suck. Heaven.
    Welcome to West Seattle Trader Joe’s.

Comment by Cheryl — 5:26 am March 31, 2012 #

43. hope there is a good traffic plan there

Comment by W.S. maverick — 7:40 am March 31, 2012 #

44. Why would someone who wishes this story would go away keep reading about it?

Comment by hey lady — 8:32 am March 31, 2012 #

45. I contacted TJs when construction was announced and they confirmed there would be bike parking. Where I don’t know. Is there any sign of bike racks yet?

Comment by Al — 8:43 am March 31, 2012 #

46. I’d like to point out to all those people critical of Trader Joe’s (i.e., those who have never shopped there) than no-one is twisting your arm and forcing you to shop there! It’s still a free country ….

Comment by mrsB — 9:18 am March 31, 2012 #

47. Mmmmmmm…processed “organic” food with no country of origin. Do try the chocolate truffles made from coconut oil.

Comment by TW — 9:39 am March 31, 2012 #

48. here here mrsB! – leave the aisles open for those who DO want to shop! More parking spots for us :)

Comment by shopper — 10:57 am March 31, 2012 #

49. ~ Bob; do not apologize to Pr4ya, they are just snarky & mean. Thankyou for the beautiful murals. A gift to one should not be mocked.(no meanies allowed!)

Comment by KD — 2:16 pm March 31, 2012 #

50. Are there plans for a real, full-sized left turn lane onto 38th and/or 39th when heading east on Fauntleroy?

Comment by argonautter — 10:21 pm March 31, 2012 #

51. Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumor that TJ dies not let any outside groups verify their organics?
    Also, I do know they try a CYA approach with labels that say everything is made on equipment that also processes wheat or nuts. My wife and I joke that Trader Joe has one machine that processes everything. But that didn’t keep a “wheat free” TJ cookie from sending me into anaphylactic shock and to the ICU. Almost died actually, but no hard feelings. Their GF oatmeal is awesome.
    I just wish they would have located closer to neighborhoods that need better access to healthy, affordable food. Maybe we can organize car pools there. Welcome to the West Sizzle.

Comment by Andrew — 7:22 am April 1, 2012 #

52. I’m so stoked…. three words, “Two-Buck-Chuck!!!!”

Comment by MandM — 10:16 am April 1, 2012 #

53. Cannot wait!!!!

Comment by Rosalind monteros — 4:49 pm April 1, 2012 #

54. Thank you —My wife cannot stay away from TJ inBurien We live in West Seattle—Jack Block

Comment by Jack Block — 10:52 pm April 2, 2012 #

55. “Supplier to Trader Joe’s to You! No Middleman!” Wait a second… That makes TJ’s the middleman…

Comment by Bobby — 5:21 pm April 3, 2012 #

56. I am so happy that you will open here on the 13th of april. My wife and I have longed for TJ’s Thanks.

Comment by Dejon Shegrud — 8:42 am April 6, 2012 #

57. There is a large red and white flag flying over the new store. Did they open early?

Comment by Cherie Warren — 5:34 pm April 9, 2012 #

58. Nope. They first put it up last Friday. Didn’t see it over the weekend but it was flying again today. The flagpole dates back to the Huling days; creative way to reuse it! Opening remains scheduled for 8 am this Friday. – TR

Comment by WSB — 5:36 pm April 9, 2012 #

59. I work for this new TJ and I can answer some of these questions.

1. There will be distilled spirits eventually.
    2. The High Point Neigboorhood is lacking in affordable, healthy food. Trader Joe’s is making their best effort to reach out to that part of West Seattle.
    3. There is no truth to TJs not letting outside sources verify the organics.
    4. The mural is WSHS.
    5. They are working on finding additional parking.
    6. There will be bike parking.
    7. A German company does own Trader Joe’s but they do not take one cent from Trader Joe’s.

Comment by Trader Joe's Employee — 11:08 am April 12, 2012 #

60. I am so excited, I can barely contain myself!!! Open, Open, Open, Open, OPEN!!!!

Comment by JZD — 4:36 pm April 12, 2012 #