West Seattle scene: Junction stump gets ‘yarn-bombed’

March 5, 2012 at 11:42 am | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

The tree stump on the KeyBank corner of the California-Alaska intersection (aka “Walk All Ways”) in The Junction has a new decoration. A tipster e-mailed us early today to say it had been “yarn-bombed” overnight. First one of those we’ve heard of/seen in a while. The tipster’s photo was too small to use, so we stopped by while in The Junction a little while ago to get this one.

1. Vast improvement!

Comment by Aman — 11:45 am March 5, 2012 #

2. I saw one of these in a yard on Graham street as well, don’t get it!!

Comment by Silly Goose — 11:54 am March 5, 2012 #

3. Very sweet and silly. I love it.

Comment by Laurie — 12:04 pm March 5, 2012 #

4. Silly goose..there’s nothing to “get”..it’s just whimsy….

Comment by JanS — 3:14 pm March 5, 2012 #

5. I always thought it was a portal. good hatch cover:)

Comment by patt — 4:14 pm March 5, 2012 #

6. Thanks JanS for explaining to Silly. I’m the prankster!!!

Comment by W — 5:37 pm March 5, 2012 #

7. I am not a fan of yarn bombing. seems like a waste of yarn when you consider the many cold homess on the street that could use a blanket or gloves.

Comment by water taxi rider — 5:54 pm March 5, 2012 #

8. Water Taxi Driver, Trust me, the prankster in question has supplied Many scarves, gloves and hats to cold poor people. The prankster is entitled to a little whimsy once in awhile. I bet your not a fan of people dressing up the west Seattle statues either.

Comment by Gato — 8:50 pm March 5, 2012 #

9. They really need to get rid of that stump, it looks awful. Even just putting sidewalk there instead would look better. Not to mention it could be easily tripped over.

Comment by Nick — 8:51 pm March 5, 2012 #

10. I love random weirdness! Keep it up!!

I noticed too that the tree stockings are gone on 4th ave in downtown now too. I drive that way much more these days on my carpool commute. That made me a little sad.

Comment by Bligs Mander — 3:22 am March 6, 2012 #

11. I’m not sure people understand that yarn bombers usually use cheap scratchy craft store acrylic yarn to yarn bomb, stuff not fit for blankets/scarves for homeless people. They’re not wasting it, they are being artistic and whimsical. Don’t you have a hobby? Do you dedicate your hobby to helping homeless and needy people, no matter what? Then why do we have to use our hobby for 100% philanthropic reasons?

Comment by YarnCore — 3:17 pm March 6, 2012 #

12. We love it!

Comment by Cls — 6:57 am March 7, 2012 #

13. “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” – Dr Seuss
    “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” – Dr Seuss
    I’m keeping my eyes wide open – gotta love whimsy!

Comment by sun*e — 9:33 am March 7, 2012 #