Jail-sites fight FYI: Interbay meeting tomorrow

September 9, 2008 at 11:16 pm | In Not WS but we're mentioning it anyway, West Seattle jail sites | 7 Comments

As mentioned in our report on the last Highland Park Action Committee meeting, the West Seattle fight against two proposed WS city-jail sites is in a bit of a lull now, awaiting the next official stage of the city’s process. However, those closely watching what’s happening in the areas around all of the “final four” sites might be interested to know, there’s a public meeting tomorrow night in Magnolia, focused on the proposed Interbay site, with at least one city councilmember expected to attend.

1. Yes, it seems there is a lull; however, I noted on myballard.com’s Magnolia notice that Councilman Rasmassen was quoted as having said in a previous meeting that the Interbay site makes the most sense to him for siting the jail. I had not heard that. It is right across the street from the Whole Foods stores just about to open and next door to the City Animal Control facility. I wonder if he meant he thought a jail for Seattle-only misdemeanants made sense, or was he actually referring to a full regional facility being located there?

Always more questions….but thanks for reminding everyone WSB. It is very much appreciated.

Comment by d — 11:34 pm September 9, 2008 #

2. The story actually says Burgess said that – and I hadn’t heard it either (I am going to have to find the original reference, since they didn’t link to it in that line; I know the folks who run that site so I’ll check with them if I have trouble locating it). It’s about time for a city followup too, so we’ll be checking on things soon. — TR

Comment by WSB — 11:50 pm September 9, 2008 #

3. Ah, found it. On Slog, a Georgetown meeting in late July:

Comment by WSB — 11:52 pm September 9, 2008 #

4. So, I guess I have to start reading The Slog EVERYDAY? Rasmussen’s comment was at the end of July at the Georgetown Community Council meeting. So, he was, in fact, referring to the Regional Facility being built there. He is the Big Decider for the Public Safety Committee. So yeah, might agree with Jonah; it IS kind of a big deal, as he so perfectly understated.

Thanks WSB for digging it up. Ya’ rock.

Comment by d — 12:12 am September 10, 2008 #

5. Correction to my post:
    So, he was, in fact, referring to the Regional Facility being built in Interbay (not Georgetown). Sorry.

Comment by d — 12:14 am September 10, 2008 #

6. Burgess clarifies what he actually said about the Interbay site here on his own blog

Comment by Alcina — 9:18 am September 10, 2008 #

7. Hmmm…I don’t know what my problem was last night. Brain knew Burgess, fingers said Rasmussen. Argh. My apologies and thanks again WSB and Alcina for TRYING to straighten me out. ;).

Comment by d — 10:52 am September 10, 2008 #