That quick video clip’s all about something Puget Sound Energy is sending out to more than a million customers via postal mail (in this case, e-mail just wouldn’t work), as explained in this announcement:
Billing statements from Puget Sound Energy arriving in mailboxes over the coming weeks might smell a little rotten.
A newly designed natural gas safety brochure is being sent out to more than 1.1 million PSE customers throughout September. In addition to lots of important information about what to do if thereâ€™s a suspected gas leak, thereâ€™s a scratch-and-sniff section thatâ€™s a reminder of the rotten egg odor associated with natural gas.
To help detect gas leaks more easily, PSE and other natural gas utilities add an odorant called mercaptan to the natural gas, which is naturally odorless and colorless. Everyone in a family needs to recognize the stench, and know what to do if they smell it:
* If a natural gas odor is detected inside or outside a house or building, or if a leak is suspected, everyone should get out immediately.
* Do not switch any lights or appliances on or off.
* Do not use cell or landline phones inside the structure or near the smell.
* Do not use anything that might create a spark or has a flame, such a lighting a match or a cigarette.
* When far away from the area, call 911, or PSEâ€™s 24-hour emergency hotline at 1-888-225-5773. PSEâ€™s natural gas technicians will respond immediately from our service centers at no charge to check out a problem.
* A hissing sound, blowing dirt or bubbles in a puddle may also indicate a possible natural gas leak.
In addition to delivering a â€śrotten egg smell,â€ť the pamphlet also reminds customers to call 811 to have underground utility lines located before having any work done to prevent injuries and damage.