West Seattle weather alert: Thunderstorm moves through

August 2, 2014 at 8:02 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle weather | 21 Comments

8:02 AM: If you didn’t hear the thunder just now – forecasters are warning that despite the sunshine, a thunderstorm is about to move through, bringing heavy rain. Past that, though, the forecast says sunny and 80s for the afternoon.

8:15 AM: It’s been raining for going on 10 minutes now. Still partly sunny out there, and more thunder in the distance. (added) Commenter DTK offers the real-time radar link.

9:11 AM: More thunder – so it’s not over yet (as the radar suggested) …

1. Ha. I just heard the thunder too. I checked yahoo weather and the weather channel. No mention. I check here and shazam! Awesome. If you have any links regarding the impromptu thunderstorm, please post and share.

Comment by BrianF — 8:05 am August 2, 2014 #

2. It is currently thundering, pouring and sunshining brightly here in Arbor Heights!

Comment by Andi — 8:05 am August 2, 2014 #

3. It’s mentioned in the forecast – http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/city_report.html – but NO short-term weather alert, which is surprising.

Comment by WSB — 8:07 am August 2, 2014 #

4. Just started pouring in Admiral neighborhood.

Comment by TMO — 8:10 am August 2, 2014 #

5. Thunder at 8:00 in the morning? Now big raindrops. In the Midwest this is called a sunshower.

Comment by Not sleepless in WS — 8:11 am August 2, 2014 #

6. Real time radar:

Comment by DTK — 8:12 am August 2, 2014 #

7. “Not sleepless,” I was going to dub it a sun-derstorm. I like sunshower better.

Comment by WSB — 8:12 am August 2, 2014 #

8. When I heard the thunder I looked up the radar on weather.com and saw the storm over WS. Looks like it won’t last long though.

Comment by Sue — 8:19 am August 2, 2014 #

9. No wonder our kitty was slinking around…

Comment by Kipseawa — 8:38 am August 2, 2014 #

10. Just lost $300 in self leveling underlayment (concrete). Guess I shouldn’t trust the “zero % chance of rain” for the next 5 days.
    -First world problem :(

Comment by Danny Downer :( — 8:57 am August 2, 2014 #

11. Awakening to
    Thunder rumbling and rain
    Blue sky over mountains

Comment by JayDee — 9:00 am August 2, 2014 #

12. That was very weird: pouring rain and thunder with bright sunshine. I know we get all kinds of weather, but all at once? ;-)

Comment by Ray West — 9:09 am August 2, 2014 #

13. Here it comes again!

Comment by Ray West — 9:23 am August 2, 2014 #

14. Danny, Yes, in the scheme of things, probably a “First World Problem”.

However, I don’t think you are being a “Downer” by sharing your frustration here, especially if 300 bucks isn’t something you can generally toss around with ease.

Mike

Comment by miws — 9:49 am August 2, 2014 #

15. Because it’s not really a thunderstorm unless the internet tells you so.

Comment by Chris — 10:33 am August 2, 2014 #

16. Chris, I know, it sounds silly, but there is a basic human need – among some, anyway – for “was that what I thought it was? am I the only person who heard/saw that?” Often it’s “just” a thunderstorm. And then, there was “O-boom-a”

Comment by WSB — 10:47 am August 2, 2014 #

17. Also saw lightning in what seemed to be relatively blue skies – had to confirm with the person I was with that I wasn’t seeing things complements of my cold medicine.

Comment by Graham Morgan — 12:34 pm August 2, 2014 #

18. I REALLY appreciate this story because I was completely puzzled when hearing what sounded like thunder, but outside did not look like that was possible; and it was too early for Blue Angels; so thank you

Comment by Diane — 1:20 pm August 2, 2014 #

19. Felt like I woke up in Hawaii this morning….humid and sunny with rain and thunder.

Comment by Bradley — 2:39 pm August 2, 2014 #

20. There was a short term weather alert this morning about the thunderstorm. https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201408021349-KSEW-FPUS76-NOWSEW

Comment by Paul — 3:29 pm August 2, 2014 #

21. First thing I did was go to the map on the NWS Seattle main page looking for an alert. Didn’t show, though your link shows it was timestamped more than an hour earlier. But they did mention thundershowers in the city forecast, updated at 7 am, which I linked.

Comment by WSB — 3:32 pm August 2, 2014 #