West Seattle Crime Watch: Gunfire investigation

We’ve had several reports of what sounded like rapid gunfire in the past half-hour somewhere near High Point/Sunrise Heights/Gatewood. Police had been investigating for a while before one officer finally reported (as monitored via scanner) finding a shell casing. This was after a dispatch to go check out an alley off the 7300 block of 35th SW, but we don’t know for sure if that’s where it turned up. No reports of anyone having been hit/hurt, so far.

32 Replies to "West Seattle Crime Watch: Gunfire investigation"

• comment-avatar
    Tim August 3, 2014 (5:15 am)

So nice to have news coverage in the middle of the night :)

• comment-avatar
    pam August 3, 2014 (6:39 am)

Sure was loud at my house on Cali and Holden. Rattled me out of bed. I heard no sirens, after, don’t know what to make of the whole thing.I did fire up WSB to see if there was any news…

• comment-avatar
    Christine August 3, 2014 (7:09 am)

Hello,

We definitely woke up around 4:30AM to what we thought were either gunshots or fireworks. We did see flashes of light; not sure if gunshots would create such a large amount of light? We live in Sunrise Heights on 34th. It would be quite disturbing if it was in fact gunshots. If anyone has more info, we would appreciate it!

Thanks!

• comment-avatar
    Paul Hage August 3, 2014 (7:41 am)

About 3:15 AM Sunday – more than a dozen “pops” from the direction of High Point were heard from the 5600 block.

• comment-avatar
    Highland Park Paula August 3, 2014 (7:46 am)

My husband and I heard what sounded like rapid gunfire early this morning. At first it seemed to come from around 16th & Thistle or Holden and then moved further away. It’s a quick jump up the hill from 16th & Holden to High Point. It definitely sounded like a moving situation.

• comment-avatar
    Yma August 3, 2014 (7:46 am)

Wow – i heard that, clearly, but thought is was firecrackers. There were 2 distinct pops, & then another 5 or so in rapid succession.

• comment-avatar
    Brian August 3, 2014 (7:55 am)

We were once again woken up around 4am from what appeared to be gunfire but just like last time, a peak out the window confirmed fireworks were going off in what appeared to be the intersection at 35th and Webster. This happened a few weeks ago in the exact same place around the same time in the morning.

• comment-avatar
    trickycoolj August 3, 2014 (8:00 am)

Whatever it was woke me up and echoed all over High Point.

• comment-avatar
    Hoyne August 3, 2014 (8:01 am)

We heard it. Sounded more like fireworks to us.

Someone in this neighborhood had been setting off loud fireworks every few nights since the 4th of July. It getting reallllly old.

• comment-avatar
    Wendy August 3, 2014 (8:14 am)

We heard it at 7500 block thought it was fireworks — I woke my husband. My first waking was. 3:49am. I actually swear I saw flashes in my alley. I am going to look for casings.

• comment-avatar
    pixieB August 3, 2014 (8:34 am)

I live in Sunrise Heights. There was more than a few gun shots. At least 20. It was really loud in my area – 7500 block. The shots seemed to begin north of us and progress toward Westwood. Did not note any sounds of cars, however. So was not certain if gunshots or fireworks.

• comment-avatar
    Concerned Neighbor August 3, 2014 (9:26 am)

We live near 35th & Austin and were woken up at around 3:50am by what sounded like several loud pops. This also happened a couple weeks ago at around 4:30am, but did not see any reports about it in the blog. I did however email the blog to find out if anyone else had heard the same thing, but didn’t get a reply. Really hope this doesn’t become a regular occurence.

• comment-avatar
    go hawks August 3, 2014 (9:35 am)

Saw fireworks then at 34th and webster. Same thing happened around the same time a few weeks ago.

• comment-avatar
    zach August 3, 2014 (9:43 am)

Heard noises all the way up here in arbor heights. Glad noone was hurt.

• comment-avatar
    Sounders1 August 3, 2014 (10:09 am)

We live at the corner of 35th & Holden. I was woken up by some popping noise at 3:36am. I went into the living room and stoood on the balcony to see if I could hear where it was coming from. It happened once more around 3:49am. I stayed awake for a while. I watched outside for a while…only thing I saw was an old white truck with a cab cover on it. They circled our block 2 times. The truck was beatup and had it’s right headlight out. Not sure if they were just lost or completely non-related.

• comment-avatar
    trickycoolj August 3, 2014 (10:16 am)

What I heard at 3:45 was definitely not fireworks (played with those enough as a teen to recognize them) these were irregular, first set that woke me up was about a dozen, then a return of 8-10 shortly after that were a different pitch.

• comment-avatar
    36th & Othello August 3, 2014 (10:42 am)

At 3:45 after being awoken by sounds, witnessed fireworks display lighting up the sky towards 35th and Webster. Definitely fireworks.

• comment-avatar
    M August 3, 2014 (10:51 am)

Given how bright the light was accompanying the sounds, I assumed it was fireworks.

• comment-avatar
    elikapeka August 3, 2014 (11:44 am)

It woke me up too, which means it was loud! If it was fireworks, they were being thrown from a car – the sound moved rapidly from north to south. Counted at least ten pops in a rapid and irregular pattern. Didn’t hear or see any cars. My first thought was gunfire and not fireworks.

• comment-avatar
    Rick August 3, 2014 (11:53 am)

Using fireworks to mask gunfire?

• comment-avatar
    Rick August 3, 2014 (11:55 am)

Or, since they’re both illegal, gunfire to mask fireworks?

• comment-avatar
    Arin August 3, 2014 (1:47 pm)

Was camping out in the backyard with my 6 year old son off SW Myrtle. Couldn’t grab him and run into the house fast enough. There were two different firings a couple minutes apart. Sounded really close

• comment-avatar
    squids August 3, 2014 (2:45 pm)

I been taught enough about guns to know the difference. Those were gun shots too irregular for fireworks especially the last rapid fire bit. It did sound like a moving situation…

• comment-avatar
    Alan August 3, 2014 (3:15 pm)

We can see Highpoint from our bedroom window, even though we are on 14th. Between 3:30 and 4:00 this morning, there were two rounds of fireworks with a bit of time in between. These lit up the sky, so there was no question they were fireworks.

That doesn’t mean there wasn’t a separate incident involving gunshots, but seems unlikely.

• comment-avatar
      WSB August 3, 2014 (3:23 pm)

These things almost always turn out to be fireworks. That said, I have no access to the official report so far today, nor even what the incident was ultimately designated as – Tweets by Beat and the police-report map have not updated since Saturday afternoon – happens a lot. I will be inquiring with the SPD media team first thing tomorrow and will add any final info here. The only reason I mentioned it at all minus much info is that we had messages in multiple channels, despite the early/late hour – e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, and text – and when we get that number of questions, it indicates many are wondering, and at least the info that police really WERE investigating seemed helpful – TR

• comment-avatar
    Naomi August 3, 2014 (4:42 pm)

The house on the corner of 36th & Austin has been setting off fireworks at night since 4th of July. Getting really old. Cops called out there once and said if it’s done off their property it’s not illegal.

• comment-avatar
      WSB August 3, 2014 (4:46 pm)

That’s inaccurate. Did an officer actually tell you that personally? Keep calling 911.

• comment-avatar
    Tom F August 3, 2014 (6:31 pm)

Woke us up in a backyard tent up here in the 8200 block of 37th. Scared the bejeezus out of my kid.

• comment-avatar
    Sunrise Heights August 3, 2014 (6:41 pm)

A neighborhood source confirmed to me that IT was fireworks and IT was my neighbor and his son — I would be happy to give the police the address.

• comment-avatar
    Eric1 August 3, 2014 (8:02 pm)

Sunrise just get even.
    Get together with the neighbors and wait until the have a good party. Take turns mowing the lawn with your neighbors every 2 hours. Start at 8am, mow, wait, weed whack, wait, re-mow. It would be great if one of you also had a boat with a large 2-stroke motor you could “flush” at 8 am. Other options include: skill saws, hammers, chain saws, etc.. Share your tools with the neighbor so they can’t just sleep on the other side of the house.
    When they ask about the noise, remind them that fireworks are illegal.

• comment-avatar
    Rick August 4, 2014 (7:35 am)

I had neighbors whose dogs would go bonkers under my bedroom window at 5:30 AM workdays after they left for work. After pointless conversations I worked them (the dogs) into a bit of a lather and taped them on and endless loop tape and played it back on speakers directed at THEIR bedroom window around their bedtime. Furious knocking on my door until I explained it was a tape of their dogs I endured every AM. Problem solved.

• comment-avatar
    Gatewood August 7, 2014 (2:36 pm)

People should have their facts straight before publicly accusing others of something that is not accurate.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann