West Seattle Weather Watch: ‘Excessive heat’ this weekend

July 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle weather | 9 Comments

It’s been warm for days – and it’s about to get a lot warmer. The National Weather Service has issued an “excessive heat watch” alert (see it here) for the weekend, Saturday morning through Sunday night. Highs are expected in the 90s – and even after the weekend, no significant cooldown is likely before at least midweek.

1. Bring it on love this weather rest of the country has unbearable heat we got nice moderate temps here however over doing it can lead to trouble. Moderation………

Comment by NW — 4:52 pm July 10, 2014 #

2. A perfect weekend for the STP! 10,000 cyclists riding from Seattle to Portland in 90+ degrees!

Hope I don’t keel over.

Comment by Mark — 5:07 pm July 10, 2014 #

3. Good luck! Our calendar also includes the mini “Seattle to Portland” that West Seattle Bike Connections is leading again this year – Seattle St. to Portland St. :)

Comment by WSB — 5:10 pm July 10, 2014 #

4. I am heading out just after posting this to fill our bird baths but important also to remember that during long dry spells like we are having its so important to leave out water for birds. Going to fill bird baths

Comment by NW — 5:32 pm July 10, 2014 #

5. NW – that is funny as did bird baths earlier and had birds taking baths almost immediately. Also have some on ground for passing wildlife or stray cat…

Comment by Bree — 7:17 pm July 10, 2014 #

6. I just checked Portland weather and it looks like it might hit 100. I’ve rode this ride a hand full of times and it’s usually raining. Drink a lot of water then more. Don’t be too proud to bail if the heat gets to you.

Comment by timh2o — 7:33 pm July 10, 2014 #

7. No dogs left in cars. Not even in the shade. Not with windows down.

Leave your dogs at home.

Car travel, festivals and parks are *in this heat* are not fun adventures for them.

Do the right thing. Dogs don’t complain but high heat is bad news and very distressing for them.

They can survive a few hours or more alone *In the cooler temperatures of your home with a full water bowl for them. In your house – where they won’t get heat stroke, or worse, waiting for you in your car.

Leave the dogs home. It is the right thing to do.

Comment by PSA PSA PSA PSA PSA — 7:46 pm July 10, 2014 #

8. Thanks Bree and those feathered friends of ours are I imagine are thankful also. Have not seen any activity in mine will be checking them tomorrow afternoon to refill.

Comment by NW — 9:24 pm July 10, 2014 #

9. Thanks PSA for the reminder. I HATE when I see dogs in the car. I do not understand why people do this, it makes me so sad and angry at the same time. I have had people paged in the grocery store to come and get their dog out of the car.

Be smart people, let Fido stay home in the nice cool house.

Comment by T Rex — 8:49 am July 11, 2014 #