West Seattle music: Richie Jenkin marks new life with ‘New Songs’

July 10, 2014 at 1:11 am | In West Seattle news, WS culture/arts | 5 Comments

Ever dream of ditching the day job – assuming it’s NOT your dream job – and making a living doing something you love?

West Seattle musician Richie Jenkin worked as a social worker downtown, coordinating a program for homeless men. He says it was good work he enjoyed, but the time came for it to end.

All his life, Richie had been a musician, sometimes in clubs, sometimes in bands, sometimes teaching guitar, sometimes playing at home alone, or with friends. So as his social-work job started to wind down, he wondered what was ahead. First, he says, “I began teaching guitar again, and when I had built up a big-enough student load, I resigned from my day job. Thoughts ran through my head about doing some recording of songs, but I took no action. Six months went by. One morning while sitting quietly in my music room, and without prior thought, I got up and walked over to my recording equipment that had been lying dormant for many years, and began work on a version of an old favorite folk song: ‘500 Miles.’ “

In the three years since then, Richie says, he has been consumed with writing, playing, singing and recording songs, both originals and covers. He continues teaching. And now he has released a CD, “Richie Jenkin: New Songs,” a product of his new life. Here’s a sample track:

You can hear more of his album at his website, richiejenkin.com. It is also available for download from iTunes and from Amazon.

5 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Richie is an AWSOME teacher my daughters have learned so much and always enjoy there lessons.My wife and i get to hear the girls play and sing priceless!!!!!!

Comment by Pete Dierich — 7:37 am July 10, 2014 #

2. Love ya Richie. Recording sounds great! Miss you!

Comment by keni cohen — 7:45 pm July 10, 2014 #

3. Richie is a terrific guitar teacher, always gearing the lessons to the type of songs that you want to be playing! Plus he is such a gentle, peaceful, and strong person to be around; he is such a pleasure to know. Love Richie!!

Comment by Ali Wick Meeks — 8:07 pm July 10, 2014 #

4. Richie is a wonderful person and a great musician!

Comment by Haley — 8:33 pm July 10, 2014 #

5. Heard about the album release today from our favorite dental hygienist, Micky – who of course works for the best dentist on planet earth, Dr Dunham! Want to say way to go for Richie – thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us! From the gal who tried to fill your shoes over at that day job you mentioned, I feel qualified to declare you: BEST. BOSS. EVER. Moreover a motivating force in my life. A True Friend. Thank you and well done stud!

Comment by shannon — 1:07 am July 11, 2014 #