About that early-morning earthquake: Centered in South Sound

July 28, 2014 at 10:08 am | In West Seattle news | 11 Comments

Some discussion in today’s traffic watch about an early-morning earthquake, 3.5 magnitude at 4:04 am; we were on duty at the time and didn’t notice a thing. Here’s the map showing its epicenter in the South Sound (outside Belfair); you’ll also notice the DYFI link over the map – click that and you can send in a report (helpful to scientists!) about whether you felt it.

1. I felt it! Looked all over this morning for verification of the earthquake (including on my favorite resourece – the WSB). Assumed I must have been dreaming since I hadn’t seen any confirmation. A few quick bumps woke me up and my drapes were moving just a little. Glad to see I wasn’t making it up. Thanks for the update!

Comment by Brynn's Mom — 10:40 am July 28, 2014 #

2. Apologies! Never hesitate to text us “was that an earthquake?” – once in a while, people do. 206-293-6302 – if you can’t find info anywhere! We always investigate bright lights (story coming up later today on that), things that go bump in the night, helicopters, sirens :)

Comment by WSB — 10:47 am July 28, 2014 #

3. Well I am staying right by the epicenter and I didn’t feel it. Guess I was tired.

Comment by stb — 11:02 am July 28, 2014 #

4. I felt it too. Wondered if it was a quake, and then thought maybe it was just a dream. I’m in North Admirial on the fault line.

Comment by RT — 11:11 am July 28, 2014 #

5. Next time I’ll text, I’m sensitive to quakes oddly enough. I wonder why they changed it from a 3.6 to a 3.5?

Comment by RG — 11:12 am July 28, 2014 #

6. RG- The magnitude of an earthquake is not a simple thing to determine and often changes somewhat. At first the change may be due to a seismologist reviewing the record (the first determination is usually estimated by a computer). Then subsequent changes are often caused by reviewing more seismographs that recorded the event. Finally, in the case of larger quakes, complex modeling of the fault’s motion may be needed. In this case, the magnitude went from 3.3 to 3.6 to 3.5 (at least as far as I know about).

Comment by Eric B — 12:18 pm July 28, 2014 #

7. Thank you, Eric B – been a bit busy this hour but I was going to say, magnitudes are often revised from the initially cited number – I subscribe to a mailing list that mentions significant quakes around the world and have noticed this. Thanks for the scientific perspective!

Comment by WSB — 12:21 pm July 28, 2014 #

8. hmmm. that was the time something woke me up. don’t recall thinking it was an EQ, but the time was right. It was 4:10 when I finally looked at my clock. I am in Highland Park. Weird.

Comment by princessonapea — 1:06 pm July 28, 2014 #

9. felt it this morning in Green Lake. bed was wobbling a bit.

Comment by db — 2:33 pm July 28, 2014 #

10. My creaky old house made a little noise from this quake. I didn’t feel anything though.

Comment by Size Mick — 7:16 pm July 28, 2014 #

11. I felt it it woke me up but I wasn’t sure it was an earthquake. Then I fell back to sleep.

Comment by newnative — 8:22 pm July 28, 2014 #