West Seattle wildlife: Stop and smell the … dandelions!

June 20, 2014 at 9:46 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle parks, Wildlife | 9 Comments

It’s not just nuts that will stop a squirrel in her tracks. Trileigh Tucker shares the photos:

I encountered this incredibly photogenic squirrel foraging along the south part of the Lincoln Park beach. She appeared to be a nursing mother; maybe eating the dandelions somehow provides special nourishment to provide for her young?

Trileigh writes about nature and publishes more of her photos at naturalpresencearts.com.

1. Oh, this is one of the cutest pictures I’ve ever seen. It shattered the Cute-O-Meter! Trileigh, I don’t know if you’re displaying your photos in any galleries, but you should be. And a gentle reminder: Please, folks, keep your dogs on their leashes when you’re walking in our parks.

Comment by Raye — 10:38 pm June 20, 2014 #

2. This is the funniest thing Ive ever seen. I thought it was photoshopped until I read the article. Way to impress Trileigh.

Comment by alki resident — 11:15 pm June 20, 2014 #

3. Those must smell sooo good-just look at that rapturous expression on her little face!

Comment by pelicans — 2:27 am June 21, 2014 #

4. Cuuuuuuuuute! :)

Comment by Maggie — 3:40 am June 21, 2014 #

5. OMG cute overload!!!

Comment by rdf — 8:56 am June 21, 2014 #

6. Not dandelions, those look like Hairy Cat’s Ear, though they could possibly be Smooth Hawksbeard. The milky sap is rich in nutrients.

Comment by Brian — 10:49 am June 21, 2014 #

7. Thanks, Brian! Yikes, I’m embarrassed. We have these outside our house as well as the ones I’m sure *are* dandelions, I just thought this was a different variant. Am hereby educated. – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:52 am June 21, 2014 #

8. Brian, I’m now educated too, thanks so much! Your comment explains a bit of a mystery: I was watching from a respectful distance as the squirrel foraged along, so I couldn’t see closely what she was eating. After a while she got to a big yellow flower that clearly seemed to be a dandelion, but didn’t eat that one, so I thought perhaps her earlier flowers were another species. But when I looked at the photos they looked enough like dandelions that I figured maybe she’d just eaten her fill.
    Now I know she preferred this other species, thanks to your comment. She didn’t seem to be eating the stems, just the heads; do you think she was still getting that milky sap?
    Thanks again.

Comment by Trileigh — 12:06 pm June 21, 2014 #

9. My goodness, how adorable!

Comment by evergreen — 10:26 pm June 21, 2014 #

All contents copyright 2005-2015, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.