Be part of this year’s Night Out! Signups, $ applications now open

May 30, 2014 at 10:20 am | In Neighborhoods, West Seattle news | 4 Comments

(You don’t HAVE to have a bouncy toy, but Hillcrest does – 2010 WSB photo by Christopher Boffoli)
Be part of the year’s biggest night of block parties, the 30th annual Night Out, on Tuesday, August 5th. Sounds like a long way away, but our area’s SPD Crime Prevention Coordinator Mark Solomon sends word that registration is open NOW. If you sign up, you can close your street to traffic that night (provided you’re not on an arterial and a few other caveats) – go here as soon as you’re ready. Early party-planning also offers the chance to apply for a Department of Neighborhoods matching-fund grant – the deadline is June 23rd; find out about it here. More than 1,400 neighborhoods around Seattle had block parties last year – this year, join ‘em!


  1. this comment may be too late for anyone to see, but….
    has anyone done this before? I previously looked into getting a neighborhood grant in order to get a bounce house for our neighborhood night out. our ‘hood has lots of families but they don’t seem to come out to these so I thought a bounce house might get more people out. in looking at the requirements, it seemed like you need a neighborhood business to sponsor you and/or be backed up with liability insurance… it all seemed so complicated and not something I really had time to figure out. do other neighborhoods just rent bounce houses without a matching fund grant?

    Comment by sam-c — 2:05 pm June 5, 2014 #

  2. oh i just read the link – it looks like you can “No longer” use it for bouncy houses. WSB you got me all excited with that photo, dangit!

    but applicants still need a fiscal sponsor….

    Comment by sam-c — 2:12 pm June 5, 2014 #

  3. Sorry, hadn’t heard about a ban on bouncy houses. Hillcrest is the only neighborhood where we’ve bumped into one.
    You might contact the neighborhood service center coordinators (Yun Pitre or Jenny Frankl) to ask about the fiscal-sponsor thing. I wouldn’t think this is JUST for formal neighborhood councils, which have sponsors if they aren’t 501 c 3′s on their own …

    Comment by WSB — 2:19 pm June 5, 2014 #

  4. oh, you can have bouncy houses, but you just can’t use the NMF for it.

    Comment by sam-c — 3:14 pm June 5, 2014 #

Sorry, comment time is over.

All contents copyright 2005-2015, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^