West Seattle Crime Watch: Stolen car; hit-run suspect drops shoes

March 22, 2014 at 10:19 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 15 Comments

Two West Seattle Crime Watch reader reports tonight:

STOLEN CAR: From Danny and Laine:

On the morning of March 22nd in between 2:00 to 7:30 am, on the 3000 block of Bataan St SW [map], our car (1994 red Honda Civic hatchback license 727-WPG) was stolen from in front of our home. The car is in pretty good shape with a noticeable dent on the door on the passenger side as well as a scratch on the front right bumper with purple paint residue from a prior accident. Also there is a black bike rack with sticker that says “got oars?”, and a Bastyr University Sticker (faded white and red in color) on the back bottom left window.

Please call 911 if you see their car.

RECOGNIZE THESE SHOES? From Curtis:

Someone smashed into my car this morning at 20th & SW Barton [map] this morning in a stolen Acura… then dropped these shoes after running away across Delridge.

My neighbor saw a slim hooded figure run off to the east across Delridge who dropped those shoes.

Any clues? Police report’s on file for that one too.

P.S. If you’re interested in how police deal with stolen property, don’t miss the West Seattle Block Watch Captains’ Network’s next meeting, 6:30 pm Tuesday (March 25th) at the precinct – full details here.

1. Curious if anyone else has noticed or had issues with a vehicle idling outside (lurking?) at night. Last night our dog woke us up barking at a vehicle parked outside at about 0300. The vehicle sped off loudly, sounded like it might have had a hole in its muffler. My wife said she has noticed a car that sounded the same a few times, appearing that it just parks out on the street for a bit in the middle of the night.

I know it’s a vague description, and probably nothing sinister, but we have had a couple car prowls in the last year and are wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar. We live near 37th/Raymond.

Comment by MJ — 8:10 am March 23, 2014 #

2. In addition to the car theft and hit and run I think there may be a fashion crime involved here too. Somewhere in Nebraska there is a rave missing a pair of shoes.

Comment by cjboffoli — 8:40 am March 23, 2014 #

3. We had a similar car casing our house on 31st and Findlay. Came by 3 times in 2 weeks the first time was 7 at night one guy got out and walked in our neighbors porch to look in our windows while someone in the car yelled are they home.

Comment by MM — 8:42 am March 23, 2014 #

4. ‘dem is some fancy fancy kicks.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 9:35 am March 23, 2014 #

5. why run? just click the heels of those sparkly beauties together and you’ be off.

Comment by flimflam — 10:33 am March 23, 2014 #

6. If you click the heels together you go back to Liberace’s house….that’s how he/it/she escaped.

Comment by Acer macro — 10:53 am March 23, 2014 #

7. Doesn’t pay to own a Honda in WS does it? :>(

Comment by unknown — 11:41 am March 23, 2014 #

8. There is an older large white car with a loud engine that we have seen cruising and looking in our area. We alerted our block watch. This car sounds like one that was reported in the blog a while back. It is noticeable due to the noise it makes.

Comment by Bree — 12:05 pm March 23, 2014 #

9. I believe that these are the shoes:

Comment by Gwen Nelson — 12:24 pm March 23, 2014 #

10. Expensive shoe habit supported by car thievery.

Comment by Bertha Christ — 1:16 pm March 23, 2014 #

11. Ridiculous almost to the point of being comical…. OMG… I was disturbed about the recent shooting and sexual assaults in the area. Me and work place friends discussed it and they all decided I should move. Funny thing is… I got a call from my uncle in Detroit who described in detail the plight of that city. I didn’t even ask he just volunteered it because it’s a way of life there.

Take away for me 1) if we keep our heads down we probably have nothing to worry about and 2) always be armed (in some way… not necessarily gun) and ready to fight back. I try not to let my harsh roots shine through… just because.. But my mother was also very, very tough. She explained to me many times during the years… ” If they walk in uninvited, make sure they can’t come back”. Its super old school kind of roach motel ” they walk in they don’t walk out”. Just my thoughts and perspective.

Comment by k — 8:30 pm March 23, 2014 #

12. Thanks unknown for your lack of info

Comment by stolen from — 12:54 am March 24, 2014 #

13. Sorry, I took that as an attempt at sympathy. Has nothing to do with WS, anyway – for at least a decade, a couple of Honda models have topped the “most-stolen car” list nationwide. http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=434545http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/10-vehicles-most-often-stolen-car-thieves.aspx – They’re great cars (we have driven only Hondas for 15 years now) and that’s just an unfortunate weird quirk. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 1:07 am March 24, 2014 #

14. MJ, a newspaper delivery person drives a car with a loud muffler. Delivers between 3 and 4 AM every morning in the area just south of Fairmount Park. I hear him/her most mornings idling, delivering, then moving on to the next block.

Comment by pagefive — 11:29 am March 24, 2014 #

15. @stolen from…I’m just saying that it sucks to own a Honda and live in WS with one because these BOZO’s (to put it nicely) like to steal them.
    I guess thieves no matter where you live steal Honda’s and I’m sorry that Danny and Laine lost theirs.

Comment by unknown — 4:53 pm March 24, 2014 #